Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If so, then consider the following:
  • Run Disk Utility --> Check Disk on the backup disk to make sure it is problem-free
  • If so, then erase the main internal macOS SSD (format: APFS, scheme: GUID Partition Map)
  • Then clone the backup disk back to the internal NVMe SSD -- but do not use EFIClone. Copy the EFI folder manually from EFI partition of backup disk to EFI partition of internal SSD.
  • But do these steps very very carefully
Note: I cannot assume any responsibility for data loss. So please check that your backup disk contains all your files/folders, and is capable of booting properly.
@CaseySJ @Daranski

I ran into exactly the same Disk Utility First Aid error code related to my EFI partition yesterday on my Catalina startup NVMe. The disk had been booting normally for weeks and I hadn't run First Aid in months.

I made two CCC bootable clones of the startup SSD, then reformatted and used CCC to clone back from a backup clone. Disk Utility First Aid reports everything is now OK.

I wonder what First Aid was detecting? I'll use First Aid more often to monitor for this error.

Yep I have a bootable backup don't worry, I managed to get it running again without that, replaced the files on windows with an old EFI backup (copy/replace) and Explorer++

Still curious why isn't working, I noticed I have problems with the NVRAM because I couldn't change the clover theme, silly enough I followed the guide but the system isn't booting with
  • OcQuirks-4.efi
  • FwRuntimeServes.efi
deleted the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and added the boot arguments, I'm puzzled.

*it's working didn't hit save while closing clover *insert facepalm here*
Glad to hear it.

Occasionally I need to be the drill sergeant at an army boot camp to reinforce the extraordinary need for bootable backups in the world of Hackintosh. Data is the planet we protect. Change, Accidents, and Faults are the enemies we protect it from.

You are right — it is primarily for flashed controllers, but can be used on standard controllers as well.
Thank You Mr Casey !!
To be more precise in my request: can SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM replace SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-EGPU-NO-HOTPLUG and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 indifferently and thus allow connecting egpu without changing SSDT ?

Thanks again !!

Thank You Mr Casey !!
To be more precise in my request: can SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM replace SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-EGPU-NO-HOTPLUG and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 indifferently and thus allow connecting egpu without changing SSDT ?

Thanks again !!
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-EGPU-NO-HOTPLUG.aml is only for un-flashed Thunderbolt controllers and it disables hot plug. If you are using this SSDT, then you cannot use any other Thunderbolt SSDT at the same time. So you must not use either:
  • Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
But if you are not using SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-EGPU-NO-HOTPLUG.aml then you can use either one of the above.

Not necessary. However, it is necessary to shut down and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before removing or inserting any PCIe cards, NVMe SSDs, etc.
got a new fenvi card and it worked like a charm. Things to note, bluetooth on fenvi cards is flaky , i've seen quite a few posts about it now.

Hi everyone,

I just built my first Hack with the Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, a i9-990KF CPU, and will use it mostly to work on audio & music project, as I'm a musician. I use mostly MOTU's Digital Performer, with many virtual instruments (from Native Instruments, Arturia, UVI, Celemony, Antares...). I just plugged my MOTU 828x audio interface witch is Thunderbolt 2 (and USB) using Apple's TB2 -> TB3 converter, and it works great without any problem !

Thanks to everybody involved into this great forum.

Take care and have fun ;-)

Will there eventually be a Clean Install for Big Sur, or is it required to update from Catalina. I am still on 14.6

Will there eventually be a Clean Install for Big Sur, or is it required to update from Catalina. I am still on 14.6
Looking for this? :)

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 11.39.27 AM.png

Which version of BIOS are you running? BIOS F9g? If using F9i please check if CFG-Lock is disabled in BIOS Setup --> Boot.

Then perform a CMOS Reset by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard with a flathead screwdriver. System must be shut down, but PSU can remain on.

Then boot the system and go to BIOS Setup. Configure all BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). Also check "Boot" section for "CFG-Lock" and disable it.
Once again, you are God of Hackintosh. That totally worked. I am up on OC. Gonna run it under Catalina for a bit before I take the plunge on Big Sur.

Thanks Casey!!!

Back