Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Phew, macOS boots up.
Ran Disk Utility, still get same error:

Problems were found with the partition map, which might prevent booting
'The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system. : (-69766)
Does Disk Utility give you the option to fix the error? If so, does the repair process succeed?

@CaseySJ. not a big deal, but I'm curious:

I have a terrible resolutions during OpenCore boot picker and Mac OS boot logo, do you know how to change this?

As side note, I use Display Port cable to connect my vega64 to my LG 4k Monitor.
Is the resolution to low or too high?

The only thing I can think of is to try the following:
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 3.31.22 PM.png

But I'm not sure how successful this will be. If the problem persists, it might be a good idea to report this to Acidanthera or to search Insanely Mac for a possible solution.

Which version of BIOS are you running? BIOS F9g? If using F9i please check if CFG-Lock is disabled in BIOS Setup --> Boot.

Then perform a CMOS Reset by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard with a flathead screwdriver. System must be shut down, but PSU can remain on.

Then boot the system and go to BIOS Setup. Configure all BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). Also check "Boot" section for "CFG-Lock" and disable it.
Thanks, I did the double check on the CFG-Lock. I'll try the CMOS Reset but cant get to it right now. THANK YOU SO MUCH for this awesome thread and your help along the way. I love this machine and its got some legs left for sure.

No it doesn't, it suggests backing it up.
Okay, now test the backup disk as follows:
  • Connect the backup disk.
  • Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen.
  • Choose the backup disk from the list.
  • At the OpenCore picker, boot macOS from the backup disk.
  • Does it boot up fully and work normally?
If so, then consider the following:
  • Run Disk Utility --> Check Disk on the backup disk to make sure it is problem-free
  • If so, then erase the main internal macOS SSD (format: APFS, scheme: GUID Partition Map)
  • Then clone the backup disk back to the internal NVMe SSD -- but do not use EFIClone. Copy the EFI folder manually from EFI partition of backup disk to EFI partition of internal SSD.
  • But do these steps very very carefully
Note: I cannot assume any responsibility for data loss. So please check that your backup disk contains all your files/folders, and is capable of booting properly.

Okay, now test the backup disk as follows:
  • Connect the backup disk.
  • Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen.
  • Choose the backup disk from the list.
  • At the OpenCore picker, boot macOS from the backup disk.
  • Does it boot up fully and work normally?
If so, then consider the following:
  • Run Disk Utility --> Check Disk on the backup disk to make sure it is problem-free
  • If so, then erase the main internal macOS SSD (format: APFS, scheme: GUID Partition Map)
  • Then clone the backup disk back to the internal NVMe SSD -- but do not use EFIClone. Copy the EFI folder manually from EFI partition of backup disk to EFI partition of internal SSD.
  • But do these steps very very carefully
Note: I cannot assume any responsibility for data loss. So please check that your backup disk contains all your files/folders, and is capable of booting properly.
F.Y.I. I am still on Clover.
Back-up disk boots up fully and works normally.
Disk Utility reports problem free.

Need to go to bed now. Will decide how to proceed tomorrow.

I shortly wanted to do a fresh install of Big Sur on my NVMe SSD (I always do fresh installs when updating to a new OS, have found it generally results in a smoother running machine, despite pain of reinstalls e.t.c), maybe now is the time.

Thank you.

Is the resolution to low or too high?

The only thing I can think of is to try the following:
View attachment 497804
But I'm not sure how successful this will be. If the problem persists, it might be a good idea to report this to Acidanthera or to search Insanely Mac for a possible solution.
Thank you @CaseySJ, well never mind.... Is not a big deal. I messed a bit with the settings, and the one that works better is the one you pointed me. Is not perfect, but is acceptable. Thanks

Is it playing back smoothly? No dropped frames? Have you checked iGPU usage via Intel Power Gadget?

In other words, if playback is normal, then most likely there's nothing to worry about.
When I boot up it plays back smoothly. If I log out and back in it will no longer play back smoothly. It stutters badly. I’m on smbios iMac Pro, no iGpu.

Does latest BIOS for Z390 AORUS Xtreme contain “CFG-Lock” in the BOOT section of BIOS Setup?
Hi @CaseySJ

I can confirm that the latest BIOS for the Z390 Aorus Xtreme DOES contain "CFG-Lock" in the Boot section of the BIOS Setup.

Hi @CaseySJ... followed your guides and without any surprise, and if we read them properly, it is very easy to move from Clover to OpenCore

Everything seems to be working except Bluetooth. I still use my 'old' Bluetooth/Wifi Card BCM94360CS2. Should still use it or not? Is that any way now to use motherboard Bluetooth instead? Is strange because wifi works

I added xtreme SSDT files and disabled the designaire as you told me. Will upgrade now to Big Sur

EDIT 1:

I Ugrade To Big Sur without any problems. For moments thought that bluetooth returned, but not :(

EDIT 2:

10Gb Ethernet is not working either :(

View attachment 497730
To fix your 10Gbe Ethernet, try adding this in OC Configurator > Kernel > Patch > (See attached image below for details)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.59.14 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.59.14 pm.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 66
Back