Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

I am getting ready to upgrade to Big Sur shortly (a fresh install on my current start-up disk), so wanted to make sure I had a back-up of Catalina before doing so.

I did the back-up of 10.15.7 using CCC. Then I did the supplemental software update for 10.15.7 and it went fine. Went to back-up again and towards the end of the process the back-up failed. CCC reported an error occuring at similar points like this...

/Volumes/Catalina Back-Up - Data/Users/darren/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Caches/WebKit/NetworkCache/Version 16/Blobs/740B79147B3786.......(I have edited this code down)

And

The postflight shell script exited with a non-zero exit status.

CCC recommends 'Verify that you can run the script manually without errors, and that it has a shell interpreter line at the top of the script (e.g. "#!/bin/sh"). Add "exit 0" to the end of your postflight script to suppress error reporting.'

The script I am using is the latest one from @byteminer's EFIClone from his GitHub repository as you recommend.

I did a disk utility first aid on the back-up drive and that comes up fine.

However disk utility first aid comes up with the following error for my start-up drive

The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system. : (-69766)

I have not shutdown my computer to see if the Start-up disk will boot again. Thought I would ask your knowledgeable self before doing that.

Am using Clover bootloader 5122.
Hello @Daranski,

For the time being, please do this:
  • Remove the EFIClone script from your CCC task.
  • Manually mount the EFI partitions of the SOURCE and DESTINATION drives using any EFI mounting utility of choice. OpenCore Configurator --> Tools --> Mount EFI can be used.
  • Then copy the entire EFI folder from the SOURCE and copy it to the DESTINATION. Replace the existing one if so prompted.
This should make the DESTINATION disk bootable unless there is a more serious partition error on the drive. After doing the above 3 bullets, reboot the system, press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen, and boot from the BACKUP disk. At the OpenCore Picker, pick the BACKUP copy of macOS.

Does the backup of macOS boot up properly?

Hello @Daranski,

For the time being, please do this:
  • Remove the EFIClone script from your CCC task.
  • Manually mount the EFI partitions of the SOURCE and DESTINATION drives using any EFI mounting utility of choice. OpenCore Configurator --> Tools --> Mount EFI can be used.
  • Then copy the entire EFI folder from the SOURCE and copy it to the DESTINATION. Replace the existing one if so prompted.
This should make the DESTINATION disk bootable unless there is a more serious partition error on the drive. After doing the above 3 bullets, reboot the system, press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen, and boot from the BACKUP disk. At the OpenCore Picker, pick the BACKUP copy of macOS.

Does the backup of macOS boot up properly?
Just to confirm with you it is my source drive which is reported to have the error not the destination drive.
If I follow your instructions would I not be copying the supposed faulty EFI partition from my Source drive to the destination drive?

Just to confirm with you it is my source drive which is reported to have the error not the destination drive.
If I follow your instructions would I not be copying the supposed faulty EFI partition from my Source drive to the destination drive?
If you have not rebooted the system since running CCC, do not reboot at this time.

First check if all your files and folders are still present in the MacOS partition. Then mount the EFI partition of the same internal macOS SSD and make sure the EFI folder and its contents are still present.

Then we can decide what to do next.

@CaseySJ I ordered a new one that should arrive tomorrow. Do I still need to reset cmos if I install a new fenvi t919 card ?
Not necessary. However, it is necessary to shut down and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before removing or inserting any PCIe cards, NVMe SSDs, etc.

Verbose is enabled like this:
Got it. I am in Verbose now and this is the spot it freezes.
BootFreeze.jpg

If you have not rebooted the system since running CCC, do not reboot at this time.

First check if all your files and folders are still present in the MacOS partition. Then mount the EFI partition of the same internal macOS SSD and make sure the EFI folder and its contents are still present.

Then we can decide what to do next.
I have not rebooted the system since running CCC.

All files and folders seem to be present. The EFI partitions of both drives is the same as far as I can tell.

I have not rebooted the system since running CCC.

All files and folders seem to be present. The EFI partitions of both drives is the same as far as I can tell.
Okay that is a good sign. Let's do this carefully:
  • Eject the backup drive if it's an external disk, and disconnect it from the system.
  • Reboot and check if macOS boots up fully.
  • Then run Disk Utility and check the disk for errors.

Got it. I am in Verbose now and this is the spot it freezes. View attachment 497799
Which version of BIOS are you running? BIOS F9g? If using F9i please check if CFG-Lock is disabled in BIOS Setup --> Boot.

Then perform a CMOS Reset by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard with a flathead screwdriver. System must be shut down, but PSU can remain on.

Then boot the system and go to BIOS Setup. Configure all BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). Also check "Boot" section for "CFG-Lock" and disable it.

@CaseySJ. not a big deal, but I'm curious:

I have a terrible resolutions during OpenCore boot picker and Mac OS boot logo, do you know how to change this?

As side note, I use Display Port cable to connect my vega64 to my LG 4k Monitor.

Okay that is a good sign. Let's do this carefully:
  • Eject the backup drive if it's an external disk, and disconnect it from the system.
  • Reboot and check if macOS boots up fully.
  • Then run Disk Utility and check the disk for errors.
Phew, macOS boots up.
Ran Disk Utility, still get same error:

Problems were found with the partition map, which might prevent booting
'The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system. : (-69766)

Back