Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It is the same in Quicktime, Quicklook, Resolve Studio and FCPX. Tested by playing the Sony Swordsmith demo video as well as a7s3 footage in the above software. Little to no activity on the CPU or GPU.
Is it playing back smoothly? No dropped frames? Have you checked iGPU usage via Intel Power Gadget?

In other words, if playback is normal, then most likely there's nothing to worry about.

After updating to Big Sur and OpenCore 0.6.3, I noticed that during the post installation on the Z390 Designare that it warned about some 3rd party extensions that were located in/ Library/Extensions folder that would possibly break in the future Apple warned about. Is it safe to remove all kexts from the /L/E folder since open core boots with them in the EFI boot folder? Does OpenCore rely on the kexts in the EFI boot folder and/ L/E or just the EFI boot folder? I would like to clean up some possible mistakes with any duplications that are not necessary. Thanks!
Please see Replace Clover with OpenCore in Quick Reference spoiler at the top of post 1. These questions are fully addressed there.

@CaseySJ It is good to see your and unmario's name on here talking about the Z390 Xtreme board conversion. I have been on Clover far too long and would love to switch over to OpenCore but similarly want to make sure that all of my SSDTs specific to the Xtreme board and my Vega 64 are copied over.

Just a few questions
1) how do I make sure all the SSDTs are the right ones for my Xtreme board.
The easiest way to do this is to remove all the files that I've included in the OC/ACPI folder in the OpenCore 0.6.3 ZIP and copy all of your SSDTs into that folder. Then add references to each one in OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI section. Remember that in OpenCore, the SSDT must be present in the correct folder, and a reference to that SSDT must be included in config.plist.
2) What SMBIOS are we using these days?
You should keep the same SMBIOS name.
3) I was perusing through and saw some folks talking about a specific SSDT for the Vega 64 to add more power, is this recommended?
If you're referring to RadeonBoost, I would not recommend it.
4) Do I need new SSDTs specific to open core or should I just use those I have now?
(See answer to question 1 above)
I really can't thank you enough. Was watching and commenting on this thread from the early double digit days and was only able to build my hack because of you. Thanks again.
You're quite welcome. As I've said on several occasions, a Hackintosh requires active care and involvement. In other words, it's not a passive activity in which Apple's installation files do all the work. Instead, much of that burden falls on us, which is why the word itself begins with "hack". When we buy a real Mac from Apple, we don't worry about all of this, but anyone who chooses to build a Hackintosh must get involved in some of these details. It's an "active" ownership experience instead of a "passive" one.

Hi Casey,

I found the Thunderbolt bus in my system only can be actived when booting system with TB device connected, but hotplug doesn't work (sleep and wake worked). I use a SSDT download from hackindrom website with valid PCI path(RP09) and DROM. If I boot the system without device connected, the Thunderbolt bus doesn't active (no hardware was found), it seams the TB controller cannot be enumerated in the system. There only Thunderbolt security leval can be changed in BIOS, I change it to NO Security now. How can I fix this issue, does a customized SSDT will work. Thanks in advance.

Attached 2 files that saved from IORegistryExplorer (boot with egpu connected and boot without device connected).
There are two immediate suggestions:
  • In BIOS Setup, please check if there's an option in the Thunderbolt section called GPIO3 Force Pwr. If so, enable it.
  • If this option does not exist, try using TbtForcePower.efi by copying it to the OC/Drivers folder and adding a reference in OpenCore Configurator --> UEFI --> Drivers. Or if you're using Clover, just copy it to the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
NOTE: If these two options don't work, then it's possible to experiment with other Thunderbolt firmware files. Unfortunately there's nothing more I can suggest.

My Fenvi T919 bluetooth module just died. It just wouldn't turn on both on Catalina 10.15.7 and BigSur 11.1 Beta . It was defintely working until last night.

Are there better alternatives out there currently like with Bluetooth 5 ?

I did USB mapping a while ago and here are my screenshots.

This the one I have got this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W92MZGF/?tag=tonymacx86-21
which has the BCM94360CD variant.
Have you examined IORegistryExplorer to check if the USB port is open and the Bluetooth device is connected? We must disable HS14 (Intel Bluetooth) in order to enable Broadcom Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Have you examined IORegistryExplorer to check if the USB port is open and the Bluetooth device is connected? We must disabled HS14 (Intel Bluetooth) in order to enable Broadcom Bluetooth.
So Fenvi is connected to PCIE x1 and on F_USB which is HS11 and HS12 , both IORegistryExplorer and HackinTool show nothing connect to it.

HS14 is disabled, I've added screenshots as well. I think I have run into port limit problem ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.35.03 PM 3.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.35.03 PM 3.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.26.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.26.32 PM.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.26.14 PM 1.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.26.14 PM 1.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.39.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 3.39.51 PM.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 46
Are you following the Clover-to-OpenCore transition guide?
Yea, I went through that and double checked things. I figured out how to get verbose on in OC and it flashes through a few things then goes to the Apple Logo with the white status bar below it, goes just a bit white and then freezes with no more drive activity. I Tried using different USB ports as will same outcome. Interestingly, when I hit F12, the boot option that shows with the drive I am using is call "OpenCore" by the BIOS. I tried clearing NVRAM as well. Best part for me is I can easily get straight back into Catalina with Clover on my original boot drive. Still pondering...
Jules

It is best to use OpenCore 0.6.3, but we can easily add the custom AORUS Xtreme SSDTs into the OpenCore OC/ACPI folder and reference them in the config.plist. Using OpenCore Configurator, we can just uncheck the ones that don't apply to the AORUS Xtreme. This is shown below.

View attachment 497588

Hi @CaseySJ... followed your guides and without any surprise, and if we read them properly, it is very easy to move from Clover to OpenCore

Everything seems to be working except Bluetooth. I still use my 'old' Bluetooth/Wifi Card BCM94360CS2. Should still use it or not? Is that any way now to use motherboard Bluetooth instead? Is strange because wifi works

I added xtreme SSDT files and disabled the designaire as you told me. Will upgrade now to Big Sur

EDIT 1:

I Ugrade To Big Sur without any problems. For moments thought that bluetooth returned, but not :(

EDIT 2:

10Gb Ethernet is not working either :(

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 17.10.41.png

Last edited:
So Fenvi is connected to PCIE x1 and on F_USB which is HS11 and HS12 , both IORegistryExplorer and HackinTool show nothing connect to it.

HS14 is disabled, I've added screenshots as well. I think I have run into port limit problem ?
Yes indeed the Broadcom device is not registering. Some suggestions before we declare the device deceased:
  • Double check that the USB header is securely connected to both the card and the F_USB header.
  • Perform a CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters again (starting with F7 or Load Optimized Defaults).
Afterwards, if Broadcom WiFi is working, but Broadcom Bluetooth is not, then I would agree it's time to consider a replacement. However, these are reliable solid-state devices whose failure rates are generally very low.

Back