Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with HEVC decoding. Rebooting seems to enable smooth HEVC playback but I believe login out and back in again breaks it. Running iMac Pro SMBios, iGPU disabled. I have followed the guide here to upgrade from Clover to OC 0.6.3 running Big Sur but had the same problem with Catalina. Specs in side bar are accurate. Any ideas? Thanks!
Which application are you using for HEVC playback?

@CaseySJ nice that I'm on it now haha :) I got some final updates. So once that is done, and you've resecured your hack with csrutil enabled and authenticated-root enabled. Now if you go onto Reset-NVRAM, your hack may error with "Rooting from a live fs of a sealed volume is not allowed". So then you have to go and disable csrutil every time you want to reset-nvram.

I hope not to update my NVRAM till next release. lol

I'll add it as update-3.

Its annoying but it its what it is.

Which application are you using for HEVC playback?
It is the same in Quicktime, Quicklook, Resolve Studio and FCPX. Tested by playing the Sony Swordsmith demo video as well as a7s3 footage in the above software. Little to no activity on the CPU or GPU.

Last edited:
It is best to use OpenCore 0.6.3, but we can easily add the custom AORUS Xtreme SSDTs into the OpenCore OC/ACPI folder and reference them in the config.plist. Using OpenCore Configurator, we can just uncheck the ones that don't apply to the AORUS Xtreme. This is shown below.

View attachment 497588
@CaseySJ It is good to see your and unmario's name on here talking about the Z390 Xtreme board conversion. I have been on Clover far too long and would love to switch over to OpenCore but similarly want to make sure that all of my SSDTs specific to the Xtreme board and my Vega 64 are copied over.

Just a few questions
1) how do I make sure all the SSDTs are the right ones for my Xtreme board.
2) What SMBIOS are we using these days?
3) I was perusing through and saw some folks talking about a specific SSDT for the Vega 64 to add more power, is this recommended?
4) Do I need new SSDTs specific to OpenCore or should I just use those I have now?

I really can't thank you enough. Was watching and commenting on this thread from the early double digit days and was only able to build my hack because of you. Thanks again.

When we flash the Thunderbolt firmware, it puts the controller in "OS Managed Mode" instead of "Internal Connection Manager" (ICM) mode. Windows and Linux require ICM. MacOS works with both ICM and OS Managed Mode, but OS Managed Mode allows macOS to provide extra Thunderbolt functionality (such as Thunderbolt Bus).

This is why the Thunderbolt Firmware Repository states: After flashing, Thunderbolt may not work fully under Windows and Linux.

View attachment 494440

So let's focus only on the macOS issues:
  • Please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file.
  • Also, Thunderbolt Security in BIOS must be set to No Security.
Hi Casey,

I found the Thunderbolt bus in my system only can be actived when booting system with TB device connected, but hotplug doesn't work (sleep and wake worked). I use a SSDT download from hackindrom website with valid PCI path(RP09) and DROM. If I boot the system without device connected, the Thunderbolt bus doesn't active (no hardware was found), it seems the TB controller cannot be enumerated in the system. There only Thunderbolt security leval can be changed in BIOS, I change it to NO Security now. How can I fix this issue, does a customized SSDT will work. Thanks in advance.

Attached 2 files that saved from IORegistryExplorer (boot with egpu connected and boot without device connected).

Attachments

• Boot with egpu connected.ioreg
    9.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Boot without device connected.ioreg
    6.9 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
@jabjabjab

I managed to edit my board plist by following this guide on StackExchange if anyone want to make changes on BigSur

Note please back up your Mac as this method has probobably only been tested by me and therefore you just want to be safe than sorry.
thanks for this guide.

since I don't fully understand how APFS works, from the attached screen shot, is my "root mount device" the physical /dev/disk0s2, the synthesized system /dev/disk1s1, or the synthesized data /dev/disk1s2?

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.02.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.02.41 AM.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
@jabjabjab

thanks for this guide.

since I don't fully understand how APFS works, from the attached screen shot, is my "root mount device" the physical /dev/disk0s2, the synthesized system /dev/disk1s1, or the synthesized data /dev/disk1s2?

thanks
Yep, so it the one without "-data" appended. So for you it would be disk1s1. I'll update the guide.

Last edited:
My Fenvi T919 bluetooth module just died. It just wouldn't turn on both on Catalina 10.15.7 and BigSur 11.1 Beta . It was defintely working until last night.

Are there better alternatives out there currently like with Bluetooth 5 ?

I did USB mapping a while ago and here are my screenshots.

This the one I have got this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W92MZGF/?tag=tonymacx86-21
which has the BCM94360CD variant.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 13.40.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 13.40.01.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 13.40.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 13.40.16.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 13.41.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 13.41.53.png