Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've restructured my SSDs a bit so that with one I can try out BigSur , like be adventures csrutil and break my head :banghead:, make it bleed , see the problems :crazy: etc.

The other SSD is for stability, currently has Catalina.

I've got two EFI folders for each of the SSDs that have BigSur and Catalina which are carbon copies except that they have different SerialNumber , MLB, System UUID. Everything seems to be working fine on both drives but I just wanted to ask here if anyone has as similar set up and what they did. Is there a mini guide or any recommendations that I could follow use ?

I've restructured my SSDs a bit so that with one I can try out BigSur , like be adventures csrutil and break my head :banghead:, make it bleed , see the problems :crazy: etc.

The other SSD is for stability, currently has Catalina.

I've got two EFI folders for each of the SSDs that have BigSur and Catalina which are carbon copies except that they have different SerialNumber , MLB, System UUID. Everything seems to be working fine on both drives but I just wanted to ask here if anyone has as similar set up and what they did. Is there a mini guide or any recommendations that I could follow use ?

You don't need different Serial Number, UUID etc. The one EFI can boot both Big Sur and Catalina. Mine boots Catalina, Big Sur release (11.0.1) and Big Sur Beta (11.1), all on different NVMe drives, all using the same SN/UUID/MLB.

You don't need different Serial Number, UUID etc. The one EFI can boot both Big Sur and Catalina. Mine boots Catalina, Big Sur release (11.0.1) and Big Sur Beta (11.1), all on different NVMe drives, all using the same SN/UUID/MLB.
It does boot and runs fine except that iCloud signs out of the one os once I sign in into another. Thats why I created a different set of system properties And EFI

this doesn’t happen to you ?

Hello,
i made and activated three entries via the opencore configurator under misc -> entries.
Unfortunately, when the boot menu starts, the three "old" entries are still displayed. Is there a possibility to hide the boot entries created by default?
For a better understanding I have added screenshots.
What I did was :
  1. Create the custom icons (based on the type of SSD/NVMe I have) using Photoshop.
  2. I used Image2Icon App to convert the .PNG file to .ICNS file. Actually, you can use OC's icnspack terminal command to convert the PNG to ICNS. That command is in OC's Utility folder.
  3. Mount the Preboot APFS partition. Copy the .icns file to the root of the partition and rename it .VolumeIcon.icns (NOTE there's a '.' in front of VolumeIcon.icns to make it a hidden file). If your partition HFS+, then simply copy the .VolumeIcon.icns to the root of the HFS+ partition. If you wish to have custom NAME displayed for the OS then create a text file called .contentDetails at the root of the partition containing the required name (e.g. Windows 10 Pro).
If you are booting Windows then, you copy the Windows drive icon file (also called .VolumeIcon.icns) to the same folder as the bootmgfw.efi file. Typically, that file is the folder \EFI\Microsoft\Boot.
also its smart to only create misc -> entry just for your windows drive and under security change your scan policy to 2,820,867. it would look something like this check attach file

Attachments

• my boot.png
    my boot.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 94
  • my boot 1.png
    my boot 1.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 90
What I did was :
  1. Create the custom icons (based on the type of SSD/NVMe I have) using Photoshop.
  2. I used Image2Icon App to convert the .PNG file to .ICNS file. Actually, you can use OC's icnspack terminal command to convert the PNG to ICNS. That command is in OC's Utility folder.
  3. Mount the Preboot APFS partition. Copy the .icns file to the root of the partition and rename it .VolumeIcon.icns (NOTE there's a '.' in front of VolumeIcon.icns to make it a hidden file). If your partition HFS+, then simply copy the .VolumeIcon.icns to the root of the HFS+ partition. If you wish to have custom NAME displayed for the OS then create a text file called .contentDetails at the root of the partition containing the required name (e.g. Windows 10 Pro).
If you are booting Windows then, you copy the Windows drive icon file (also called .VolumeIcon.icns) to the same folder as the bootmgfw.efi file. Typically, that file is the folder \EFI\Microsoft\Boot.
also its smart to only create misc -> entry just for your windows drive and under security change your scan policy to 2,820,867. it would look something like this check attach file
Thanks for the detailed instructions.
But I didn't plan to use new icons or create some new. The existing ones would have been enough for me. But I suspect that this is the only way to go at the moment.
Note: I only have partitions in APFS (no more HFS or HFS+). I have also successfully renamed the partitions (".disk_label.contentDetails") in the preboot partition and i renamed the ".label_label" and ".disk_label_2x" with the "sudo bless --folder" command.

If I set the scan policy with similar settings, at least the standard boot entry for Windows disappears but the two standard MacOS boot entries still remain, for whatever reason.

I don't know yet whether I want to put in additional effort. It's just a cosmetic procedure.
The background to the whole procedure: It was easier to convert/change the bootmenu with Clover or OC (NDK).

But still: Thank you for your help.

Oh yes, in the German hackintosh forum I got the clear advice not to experiment with the custom boot entries (misc->entries) in OpenCore at the moment. Why this is so was not explained.

Technically speaking, SSDT-DTPG.aml does not do anything by itself. if you remove the Thunderbolt SSDT then it's okay to remove SSDT-DTPG as well. Thunderbolt Hot Plug requires both of these SSDTs.
Yeah I discovered that after a while. Weirdly, USB devices were showing up sometimes after sleep and sometimes not, so I'm back using a different thunderbolt SSDT as the hackindrom SSDT was causing all sorts of weird issues on my non-flashed Titan Ridge card (weird Ultrafine audio dropouts and black flashes on the screen).

I had my Titan Ridge flashed for a short while, and it was not working at all with my Ultrafine 5K on Big Sur, so I flashed it back to the v50 firmware. I came across a different Titan Ridge SSDT (KGP's SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml), which supposedly is meant for the non-flashed Titan Ridge (had to switch all RP05 references to RP21), and so far it's working great. I guess Thunderbolt isn't actually working on it, but I mainly bought it for the Ultrafine 5K support.

I didn't change anything and now is the booting time really slow.
Big Sur with latest OC.
How can I enable debug mode for starting so that I can see whats happening?
Please search this thread or this site using keywords "OpenCore Verbose". This is a very frequent question.

Last edited:
FYI, Newegg currently has good discounts on 3-user and 5-user licenses for the 2021 version of Acronis True Image (which I’ve discussed in this thread several times as part of a larger backup strategy).

Credit: @faithie999

Back