Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

This answer of yours ... gave me chills ... I already imagined it ... but I didn't think it was so fast and could cost so cheap ....
If this happens at this rate, it will hardly justify continuing to assemble hacks, because if a Mac Mini, of 1000 dollars, already hits a lot on the machine we have ... it is complicated to continue ...
We should also keep in mind that the Hackintoshes we are running today are the most modular, upgradeable, and cost-effective systems possible. So we totally have the luxury of waiting until more M1 models are released...we don't have to rush!

We can upgrade NVMe SSD. We can install PCIe cards. We can upgrade to Radeon 6000 GPUs. We can upgrade RAM. We can install SATA SSDs and SATA HDDs inside the chassis.

Hi Casey,

Since upgrading bios to F9i my computer no longer goes to full sleep. Display turns off but that's it.
Is there a setting in the updated bios which can sort this?
Past experience shows that BIOS upgrades don't interfere with sleep. We can always revert to the earlier BIOS version to confirm that sleep works there. The Sleep Aid linked in Post 1 (Quick Reference spoiler) should be consulted if sleep also fails in the earlier BIOS version.

We should also keep in mind that the Hackintoshes we are running today are the most modular, upgradeable, and cost-effective systems possible. So we totally have the luxury of waiting until more M1 models are released...we don't have to rush!

We can upgrade NVMe SSD. We can install PCIe cards. We can upgrade to Radeon 6000 GPUs. We can upgrade RAM. We can install SATA SSDs and SATA HDDs inside the chassis.

Yes, it's nice to be able to throw in extra memory or another SDD without having to buy a whole new computer!

It will be interesting if Apple will significantly lower the prices of the Mac Pro once they have apple silicon. It would be nice to be able to buy something from apple that is at least somewhat upgradeable.

@CaseySJ

I know you are too modest but I want to say it loud and clear the work that you have done here is enabling me to do research for my phd and my second masters because I needed to build a custom Mac that apple still does not support.

I want to ky thank you because I am truly grateful for all your hardworking and quick responses.

I have one last challenge that I have never been able to fix on this computer and my specs are the exacts ones you told us to buy. How do I enable iMessage because all my attemps on that have failed?

Past experience shows that BIOS upgrades don't interfere with sleep. We can always revert to the earlier BIOS version to confirm that sleep works there. The Sleep Aid linked in Post 1 (Quick Reference spoiler) should be consulted if sleep also fails in the earlier BIOS version.
Thanks, my previous version was the official f9b and sleep definitely worked. Will have a read of the sleep aid link.

Yes, it's nice to be able to throw in extra memory or another SDD without having to buy a whole new computer!

It will be interesting if Apple will significantly lower the prices of the Mac Pro once they have apple silicon. It would be nice to be able to buy something from apple that is at least somewhat upgradeable.
I'm hoping that rumors of a more compact Mac Pro will come true...

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I know you are too modest but I want to say it loud and clear the work that you have done here is enabling me to do research for my phd and my second masters because I needed to build a custom Mac that apple still does not support.

I want to ky thank you because I am truly grateful for all your hardworking and quick responses.

I have one last challenge that I have never been able to fix on this computer and my specs are the exacts ones you told us to buy. How do I enable iMessage because all my attemps on that have failed?
Thank you for the kind words. I remember how much I enjoyed my collegiate years living on campus, so it is a bit sad to see so many students across all grade levels having to miss out on the full experience. Hopefully 2021 will make us appreciate all the things we used to take for granted.

To troubleshoot Messages, please start with this post. Although it's for fixing Handoff/Continuity issues, the same procedure can be helpful in fixing Messages. We should also ensure that our System Serial Number is not already in use. This can be done through Hackintool:
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 11.59.07 AM.png

Last edited:

Absolutely!

It's all very interesting, but I'll reserve excitement until I can see a large multitrack Pro Tools session with a lot of plugins and a buffer of 128 handled with same the aplomb as the brute force of my of my @CaseySJ Z390 or my @HackaShaq Z370 build.

So far, I'm seeing a great leap for mobile computing with that iGPU, but nothing -yet- to give an indication that these machines will be replacements for A/V type workstations: Short tasks vs long tasks.

My own machine (this build thread) is demonstrably a much better, much quieter Pro Tools and Media Composer machine than the following (reasonably recent) Apple machines that I've owned and used:
  • 8-core Xeon Macpro 6,1 -returned.
  • 6-core Xeon Macpro 6,1 CTO (returned)
  • MacMini 6,2 -CTO, top spec. -I have two. They're still amazing when tricked out with 16GB RAM and a couple SSDs.
  • iMac 19,1 -CTO, top spec. -returned.
  • MacMini 8,1 -CTO, top spec. (I still have it. It's a killer VEP7 machine.)

I'll be interested to see the Apple Silicon MacPro. Until then, @CaseySJ @pastrychef with OpenCore is the machine to beat, especially for the price.

Back