Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For the GC-Titan Ridge v2.0, please see the three guides highlighted below in the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1. The procedure is the same for Z390 Designare and Z370 AORUS Gaming 7. However, depending on the PCIe slot you use, the root port may need to be modified. Common root ports are RP09 and RP21, but we can determine the actual root port by running IORegistryExplorer after installing the card.

If the motherboard does not have a Thunderbolt header (THB_C) then we need to connect a jumper wire between the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header. Simply hold the card vertically with the PCIe pins facing the floor, then jumper the top and middle pins of the J1 header.
  • Designare Z390 does not have THB_C, so the jumper is needed.
  • Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 has a THB_C header, so the jumper is not needed. But GC-Titan Ridge must be connected to THB_C header. Then enable Thunderbolt in BIOS.

Thanks for your answer. I''ve installed my GC-Titan Ridge 2.0, i have enabled it at bios, then install drivers from windows, after that i put SSDT-Z390-RP21-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml and SSDT-DTPG to ACPI folder.
As far i can test it's working (iPhone charging, a type c hub) but it dosen't shown up in "About this Mac", is this a problem?
Thanks for your time

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 10.30.13 PM.png

Attachments

• JimmakoS’s iMac.ioreg
    10.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
My LG Ultrafine 5k is currently working fine on Big Sur except it's running at 4k (it was running true 5k on Catalina).

Note that I'm using a GC-Titan Ridge PCIe card as a 2xDP to TB3 converter, it's the only way I managed to get 5k to work with the Ultrafine since it needs 2 DP stream and the onboard Alpine Ridge of the Z390 Designare is not capable of converting 2 DP stream from the dGPU (since it's also hardwired to the iGPU).

Edit: My LG Ultrafine 5k is now running at 5k on Big Sur. The problem wasn't related to Big Sur at all but to my migration from Clover to OpenCore, I was missing some boot argument.
Did you flash the firmware on your Titan Ridge card or is it stock?

Thanks for your answer. I''ve installed my GC-Titan Ridge 2.0, i have enabled it at bios, then install drivers from windows, after that i put SSDT-Z390-RP21-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml and SSDT-DTPG to ACPI folder.
As far i can test it's working (iPhone charging, a type c hub) but it dosen't shown up in "About this Mac", is this a problem?
Thanks for your time

View attachment 496729
Please look at PCI page instead of Thunderbolt. Do you see two Thunderbolt entries there?

IOReg shows that the Thunderbolt controller is properly configured, but it is not injecting device name properties, which is why the PCI page shows strange characters in the first column.

If you use the Thunderbolt SSDT I posted above (post #27,597 directly above) and reboot, then Column 1 should show a more user-friendly name.

IOReg shows that the Thunderbolt controller is properly configured, but it is not injecting device name properties, which is why the PCI page shows strange characters in the first column.

If you use the Thunderbolt SSDT I posted above (post #27,597 directly above) and reboot, then Column 1 should show a more user-friendly name.

But it's just cosmetic, right?

I have switched my Aorus Pro to OC 0.6.3 and Big Sur. I've lost audio from the rear jack. Which audio layout ID are folks with Aorus Pro's using?
thanks

I have a Z390 Aorus pro with one USB-C port on the back of the motherboard.
I have an adapter TB2->TB3, and I'm trying to connect my UAD device.
When I plug the adapter, the system say that I cannot use thunderbolt accessory (not supported on this mac).

I think I miss something...

Back