Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

As open core is not support to external themes i just change manually booting icons and background color to gray
color for me it looks better now
You can also customize "Gigabyte Ultradurable" logo, the guide

I just noticed that my windows drive disappeared from the clover boot menu.
Is it because the osx drive is now apfs format?
try this
Turn off your Hackintosh
switch to OFF PSU power button
wait 15 seconds
switch to ON PSU power button
boot again

Hey @CaseySJ, I tried to do a fresh install of big sur using your ** OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI for Designare Z390 ** but after selecting MacOS installer from my USB at the boot screen it just hangs at the Apple Logo and doesn't progress from there. I also tried doing a NVram reset at the OpenCore bootloader by pressing space but still gets stuck.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Just wanted to say after lots of No Entry signs and reboots and a few resets of NVRAM, I managed to successfully upgrade my original Clover 10.15.3 machine to Big Sur, following your guide (to Open Core and Big Sur), and all seems to running smoothly, including TB connections (Sonnet 2 x 10GB Ethernet) via Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. OC seems a much neater design with KEXTS, etc., in the EFI. As always thanks - you're a true legend :)

How did you manage to get past the no entry signs? I either get those or the system just hangs on the apple logo and that's when doing a fresh install.

Hello everyone, I installed Big Sur from scratch, but a curious thing happens, the noise of the fans has increased and a lot.As I have back up everything, I boot for several HD's if I need to. In Catalina this does not happen, I am using the latest posted version of EFI, 0.63, posted here by @CaseySJ did I change anything just the registration numbers, anyone else going through this?

I am too - I wasn't sure if it was Big Sur or if I was just closer to the machine and noticing it more (I have been on the betas and never noticed increased fan noise). It seems to be on full blast all the time now.
This might be due to Spotlight Indexing. If so, it should disappear within a couple of hours. If not, run Activity Monitor and see if any processes are consuming high CPU %.

I really don't know how to use OpenCore, and from what I have briefly seen yesterday, It seems that I have to start everything from the beginning to change my system to use OpenCore. Is that correct? If it's like this I would like to stay away from this option.) I could follow your mini-guide to OpenCore, but my motherboard is different from yours, and don't know if it would be the same, because of USB and Thunderbolt ports.
Hello @ummario,

Good to hear from you again! We can switch from Clover to OpenCore using the guide shown here:

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 3.41.34 AM.png

The latest version of Clover may work, but I think it is best to switch to OpenCore. In fact, Clover has integrated OpenCore core into itself to create a hybrid. Several Clover releases in the very recent past have had critical bugs that rendered those releases unusable.

Additionally, if everyone switches to OpenCore, it makes it much easier for us to support them in this thread. Otherwise there are too many permutations:
  • Mojave with Clover
  • Mojave with OpenCore
  • Catalina with Clover
  • Catalina with OpenCore
  • Big Sur with Clover
  • Big Sur with OpenCore
Most people who report problems in this thread don't even tell us (a) which OS they're using and (b) which boot loader they're using. It's just too many combinations to support.

So it's best for everyone to adopt OpenCore, because that has become the leading boot loader.

Hey @CaseySJ, I tried to do a fresh install of big sur using your ** OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI for Designare Z390 ** but after selecting MacOS installer from my USB at the boot screen it just hangs at the Apple Logo and doesn't progress from there. I also tried doing a NVram reset at the OpenCore bootloader by pressing space but still gets stuck.
if you add -v to the boot arguments in your config.plist, you might be able to see where the boot is stalling. are you sure that CFG-lock is set to Disable in your BIOS? you need to be on BIOS F9g or higher. in F9g it is disabled by default. in f9i, which is available on gigabyte's download site, it is Enabled by default so change to Disable.

Hi @CaseySJ hope you are ok! Longo time! Because of professional life and family, I'm away from Tonymacx86.com community, but my Hackintosh still works great, mostly because of you that helped me so many times making it work properly.(except my bluetooth that drops randomly and drives me crazy sometimes). My wife, that works now most of the time from home, use it everyday, and this is the prove that my machine works as great, as a powerful mac.

But now that I have Big Sur on my Macbook pro, I would like to update my Hackintosh as well. And here starts my problem:

I noticed that you you recommend to use OpenCore to update. My Hackintosh is still made using your original guide (with some changes made after) but using clover boot loader.

I really don't know how to use OpenCore, and from what I have briefly seen yesterday, It seems that I have to start everything from the beginning to change my system to use OpenCore. Is that correct? If it's like this I would like to stay away from this option.) I could follow your mini-guide to OpenCore, but my motherboard is different from yours, and don't know if it would be the same, because of USB and Thunderbolt ports.

On Tonymacx86.com announcement of Mac Os Big Sur, says:

'Updated bootloader required for installation. Update to OpenCore 0.6.3 or higher or Clover Release v5.1 r5126 or higher'

So I would like to follow updating clover instead. But I tried yesterday to update clover to 5126, and the system didn't boot after clover boot menu. I must confess that I forget to make tonymacx86 recomendation:

'Note: Clover requires proper Quirks config.plist additions. See here for details.'

But I also read on your guide in bold red:

'URGENT: Please avoid Clover 5123 and newer for the time being.'

Do you think I will be able to update to Mac OS updating clover? If yes shoud I apply the Quirks recommended by tonymacx86, or do you think OpenCore is the bestway for now?

Thank You very much in advance!

note: As recommended, before updating clover, I backed up my system using Carbon Copy and your script, so I could recover my old EFI folder.
as CaseySJ said in his post a minute ago, switching to OpenCore is the best route. I had been hesitating for months but finally decided to take the plunge. it was painless. as always, if you follow a CaseySJ guide to the letter, you will have good results.

1) will I find most solutions ideas and files on the original post on first page ( it looks heavily updated ) or do I have to go through entire thread ?
2) the first page doesn’t state about 5700XT compatibility with OP. I checked the notes and have a slightly different built ( 9900K + 5700XT + 64GB ). s there a different build you’d recommend ?
3) I want to get back my dual boot Windows + MacOS. What’s the latest update on OpenCore 0.6.3 N-D-K , better to wait for it or get going with the build, is there a fork that’s already 0.6.3 dual boot friendly ?
Hello @jabjabjab
  1. The Quick Reference and other spoilers at the top of Post 1 are absolutely the first place to look.
  2. The first page describes Mojave installation, but Mojave does not support RX 5700 XT. AMD NAVI GPUs were first supported in Catalina. All of the OpenCore Mini-Guides support RX 5700 XT with Catalina and Big Sur (use the file config-AMD-GPU.plist as the starting point).
  3. OpenCore has supported direct booting of Windows for the past few months. The N-D-K build is not necessary and in fact the developer has completely stopped working on the N-D-K version.

Back