Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

ok i have this

i boot on my usb key Big Sur not my older ssd catalina
There are no errors or panic messages, so does the boot process just stop there?

Hi Guys, Hi @CaseySJ

I wanted to ask you something as I'm in need to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina.

Is there a mini guide for the update as I'm still on Mojave with a working build from last year and Clover? Can I simply Update from the App Store?

Do I need to swap to OpenCore?

Gonna upgrade from a Vega64 to a 5700XT What should I pay attention to?

Thanks
Hello @xanderevo,

So you've finally decided to upgrade to Catalina! :)

Please do the following very carefully and do not take any short-cuts:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Mojave and boot from it to make sure it works. This is your safety net -- your lifeline. Do not dismiss the seriousness of this step as some people dismiss the seriousness of COVID-19.
  • Then follow the three steps shown below (see Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1 for the links).
  • Step 3 (switching from Clover to OpenCore) is optional, but recommended.
  • After installing BIOS F9g (STEP 1) it is necessary to configure all BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)! Do not skip this step.
Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.57.58 AM.png

Thank you @CaseySJ for all your efforts, I upgrade to Big Sur and moved to open core ,
do you have tutorial how to change open core boot theme, booting page doesn't look good at all with old icons.
and when do you expect to solve issue of Apple TV+ , contents is not playable at all

Thank you @CaseySJ for all your efforts, I upgrade to Big Sur and moved to open core ,
do you have tutorial how to change open core boot theme, booting page doesn't look good at all with old icons.
and when do you expect to solve issue of Apple TV+ , contents is not playable at all
Hello @tsamy,
  • OpenCore does not support themes at this time. It uses the same look and feel as Apple's own boot selector.
  • Support for DRM playback could arrive next month with OpenCore 0.6.4.

There are no errors or panic messages, so does the boot process just stop there?
there is only apple logo and bar begin and nothing done

@CaseySJ Hi, i switched over to OC from Clover using your guide on a system i built for my friend, specifically to get rid of a really annoying problem which was there even when i was using your clover folder for mojave. Everything was running smooth with clover as well as now with your OC folder running Catalina 10.15.7, but i get weird artefacts/glitches when i export videos( only H.264) from Adobe premiere. Tried different versions of Adobe premiere 2020 and 2019, but the problem remains the same. The configuration is the same, except that the CPU is Core i9 9900KF (Z390 Designare, Saphhire Pulse Radeon RX 580) in which iGpu is absent so i have deleted the entry for iGpu in devices section of your config.plist and using iMacpro 1,1 as system product name. Using open core configurator 2.17.0.0 to edit config.plist. Can you tell me if i am doing anything wrong? H.264 and HVEC acceleration is working as per videoproc.

EDIT : Solved the issue by changing the System definition from iMacpro 1,1 to iMac 19,1. I read in some thread here to use iMacpro 1,1 as system definition if using Intel 9th gen CPU's with no integrated graphics and since this CPU was Core i9 9900KF, i used it. Phew such a relief!
Glad you were able to fix the problem. Good thinking.

However, please note the following violation:
Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 9.06.33 AM.png

Bruhhh

You know, this migration is quite important for me because I have been using this Designare system I built because of CaseySJ success and great instructions as my main workhorse. I am an old man and booting processes were always somewhat esoteric for me. I am so old that I actually had an octal listing that I needed to key in actual 1s and 0s in the front panel of an HP computer of the initial code in core memory to boot the machine by copying the first sector of the hard drive in the early 80s ... And indeed in the MBR days it was quite a finicky process, with LILO and GRUB making their magic ... Windows XP looking for the right spot in the disk and all that complicated stuff.

a) EFI stuff is SO MUCH SIMPLER ... Make sure you have an msdos partition on your disk that holds the EFI filesystem - usually occupies 200MB or so - negligible space these days - and the motherboard firmware will do the job for you by loading in memory the contents of <EFI_PARTITION>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi (using backslash instead of forward / to be consistent with MS-DOS naming, but in UNIX (Macs, Linux, Solaris, etc) it is / ... A smart bootloader like Clover or OpenCore should be able to allow you to boot macOS, Linux, Solaris, Windows, etc.

b) The second piece of the puzzle that was made so much simpler by the work of CaseySJ and others in this thread was getting rid of all the hackintosh magic in the actual APFS partition that runs macOS. No more kexts in /System/Library/Extensions and all over the place that made each upgrade a nightmare of untold proportions. All the tricks needed to fool macOS are done in the EFI stage, and after the Darwin kernel is booted, the EFI partition becomes irrelevant - in fact you can safely remove it if was sitting in a USB drive.

c) Smart people keep their personal files in a separate partition. I have those in fact in a separate RAID of two hard drives since I first booted 10.5 lion (actually did a disk upgrade when got to Sierra)

Now that people understand these simple facts there is a very simple and logical migration path:

i) Make an installer USB with the latest OpenCore and Big Sur. The OpenCore part is a little bit tricky because you want to keep your serial number and other things you had in your config.plist in Clover and any customizations you've done for your EFI when you installed Catalina or Mojave, etc.. - but if you follow the excellent link above you should be able to make it right.

ii) <different thing I suggest> Boot from the USB and instead of choosing the Big Sur Installer, choose your regular Catalina partition. You should have everything working normally as if nothing changed in your machine. If there is a problem of any kind, fix the USB files because I can guarantee you the problem is not in the Catalina partition as we established in (b). I intend to keep it going for a few days in fact because I don't like unpleasant surprises. If it is all good, I will simply mount the EFI in the SSD and copy the USB's EFI into the SSD's EFI. It is as simple as mounting both, cleaning the old Clover EFI directory or moving away, and doing a copy, and test that as well with Catalina.

iii) Use the CCC or whatever for Cloning your Catalina APFS partition and EFI to an external drive in case things go ugly with Big Sur. They won't but one never knows. If you have plenty of space on your SSD you might install Big Sur in a different partition, but that doesn't come for free, you need to later migrate your files to the Big Sur APFS partition. If you do an inplace upgrade, don't need to deal with that. Specially Microsoft Office can be a bit finicky about that kind of transfers ...

*** As a side comment here, I never understood what kind of magic does CCC does. If someone knows it, can you please explain to me what is so special about it that cannot be achieved with a simple rsync followed by running the EFI copier that we had to hack anyway? I hate esoteric things ... *****

iv) Go back and boot the Big Sur installer, install it, and if you haven't done so in step (ii) make sure you copy the EFI from the USB to your SSD EFI partition. And you're done

Can anyone please comment on this? I know it is long, but injects a bit of sanity and basic understanding of what's going on behind the scenes of those instructions in the link above. If I made a mistake, please correct me, I will be really glad.

Last edited:
Hi

i have make a fresh install with usb Big Sur and opencore63 i have generate a config. with 19,1

it doesn't boot for me logo apple and nothing

i have reset nvram before
Here is my EFI Folder all update 0.6.4 with Bluetooth working, just use ur config.plist

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    37.7 MB · Views: 88
Here is my EFI Folder all update 0.6.4 with Bluetooth working, just use ur config.plist
Thkx i have this error and nothing
i have copy my congig.plist

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpg
    IMG_8313.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 54
Thkx i have this error and nothing
i have copy my congig.plist
you have 2 options

either remove the entry in your config.plist for audiodxe.efi

or add audiodxe.efi in your drivers folder

Back