Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello and welcome,
Please start by updating your BIOS to F9g (Beta, CFG-lock disabled by default and that's cool) or F9i (official release, CFG-Lock is enabled by default, if your are planning to update to Catalina you'll need to disable it from Bios).

Then follow this guide.
You can follow this guide to generate your OpenCore config.plist.

I checked your IOReg and screenshots. Everything looks fine in terms of system configuration. Thunderbolt is properly set up. Even Thunderbolt Switch at port 7 is enabled.

All Z390 Designares have the same original firmware. The "scratch" areas of the firmware will be different, but they have no effect. So you can flash anyone's original Designare Z390 firmware.
Cool , i will restore back and take a look if everything goes.
Thanks.

One More thing,

I don't know if you remind me, i have some hackintosh and i have helped in the possible developing of a driver for Antelope who support Hackintosh thunderbolt.

I had read somewhere in the forum ,that old Z170 Mobos with internal TH and Sierra could work with antelope thunderbolt.
So, i had searched in second hand webs to find an Asus Thunderbolt EX II card. Just to test.

I had plugged it (without cable because is different) in a Gigabyte Z390 Extreme Mobo with an i9 9900K, and Interface was recogniced fine in Antelope pannel with all remote control functions and appears in audio panel ("Antelope Zen Tour")

After updated Thunderbolt Antelope Driver and Antelope Control Panel, everything to latest version, not recognize it anymore.

Is there anyway to flash this "Thunderbolt 2 Asus"?

If i can help to provide anything, will be really interesting, because Antelope is finally not interested in solve the Hackintosh issues with their interfaces...
Maybe we could try something now that we know that with Asus Thunderbolt EX II work (more or less).

Regards.

hi! thanks @yosoyoco, so that means, you are using the apollo with the alpine ridge but disabled hotplug in the SSDT?

i patched my alpine ridge with this rom: 3. GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin and
jumped pins 1 and 3 (not 3 and 5) instead of connecting to THB_C header.
( i didn't t try the other 2 mods from @Elias64Fr yet, see list below ) and i think! i created a SSDT via http://hackindrom.zapto.org/ (only changed the root adresses for my board z370 gigabyte).

what i get is: a kernel panic on first boot, which i a bit annoying) BUT all is working so far pretty well with my system ( apollo 8x tb3 -> quad satellite + internal uad quad ), incl. hotplug on second boot (warm boot). there is room for improvement - especially i'd like to get rid of the kernel panic and the need to boot 2 times but it's not too important atm.

Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge add-in-card 1. GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V1-Elias64Fr.bin
2. GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V2-Elias64Fr.bin
3. GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin
PCIe card
Some issues were reported with
V1 and V2. Try V3 by @NorthAmTransAm.
May need to jump pins 3 and 5 instead
of connecting to THB_C header.

Do you mind attaching a pic of jumping pins 1 and 3?
So many confusing info.. and not so many pictures to clarify.. its all about point of view :)

Thanks!

Do you mind attaching a pic of jumping pins 1 and 3?
So many confusing info.. and not so many pictures to clarify.. its all about point of view :)

Thanks!
hold the TB card so that the PCI-e connector is facing the floor. then pin 1 is the topmost of the 5 pins and pin 3 is the middle pin.

hold the TB card so that the PCI-e connector is facing the floor. then pin 1 is the topmost of the 5 pins and pin 3 is the middle pin.
Like this?

1605211757087.png

Hey @CaseySJ,

My machine has been running fine for the past month since I built it, but Ive noticed over the past few weeks my finder has been to slow. Today, I turned on my hack and booted up as normal, but I'm having massive wait times when opening applications, constantly getting the spinning color wheel, and generally slow response times. My primary use for this machine is Ableton, and it seems to be slowing down as well. Any idea why this would be?

Hi @CaseySJ,
I followed you instructions to upgrade to Big Sur from Software Updates screen, after downloading, it says "Installation failed, an error occurred while installing the selected updates."
Currently i have Catalina 10.15.7 runs under OpenCore 0.6.3. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Casseuse help me!.

I think its because of the Thunderbolt cable my iMac remains open so it must have power in the cable and is plugged into my Designare. Its maybe for that it wakes up its the same, but I changed to a displayport screen and remove my Thunderbolt, and it doesn't do it anymore just when I put it to standby. This can cause my fans to plug it into the internal USB port that when I put the computer to sleep it turns on by itself, and I couldn't read any video on Netflix its u cause quw jai iMac 19.1

Casey & Kromuh, How bizarre, the same has just happened to me. I could not open any applications now some are opening at a snails pace. It happened suddenly today. I am sure it is because I purchased a 2nd hand intensity pro 4K card for the pci slot and it has caused a problem within hours of use. I have removed it but still the problem remains.
In the activity monitor there is a kernel task with 230 threads and and 1467 idle wake ups on reboot now down to 261 and increasing, not sure what that means. The kernel task is taking up about 9 percent of cpu time just behind windowserver of 9.86.
Any help appreciated.

Hi @CaseySJ,
I followed you instructions to upgrade to Big Sur from Software Updates screen, after downloading, it says "Installation failed, an error occurred while installing the selected updates."
Currently i have Catalina 10.15.7 runs under OpenCore 0.6.3. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Never mind, i believe there is something wrong with Apple's site, i googled and saw a lot of ppl having the same complain.

Back