Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

Hope your fine, its been a long since posting back here ;-)

As you know, I've already flashed my Xtreme on-board Titan Ridge controller and since I had a free 60GB SSD laying around, I just installed Big Sur Beta 11.0.1 (20B5022a) - from Mald0n - on it and was surprised that it has detected my flashed Thunderbolt controller & attached Firewire card WITHOUT ANY THUNDERBOLT SSDT!!

Captura de ecrã 2020-11-09, às 10.03.58.png
Captura de ecrã 2020-11-09, às 10.04.20.png

Sure, that its missing the right ACPI thunderbolt identifiers, but its fully working for me to control an old SONY DCR TRV320E and import some old tapes via FCPX...

Captura de ecrã 2020-11-09, às 10.05.28.png

Captura de ecrã 2020-11-09, às 10.06.13.png

(I've also attached here the EFI folder I've used)

Unless I've done some really stupid I about to conclude the Big Sur is a very BIG updated to MacOS!!

What do you think ?

Paulo

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Please try the attached firmware for the HP Thunderbolt 3 add-in-card. Then check if Thunderbolt Bus appears in System Information --> Thunderbolt.
Hi Casey,

I have flashed the attached firmware to my HP Thunderbolt add-in-card, the Thunderbolt bus does not appears in the system info. (I have dumped the firmware after flashing and checked it has same MD5 value)
Both the thunderbolt function and usb function can't be used
Could you please help to modify again.

I'm experimenting with the new OpenCore release (.6.3) using the guide and files @CaseySJ posted. I'm also experimenting with the latest Clover release (5126). Both appear to be working well but I have noticed that both are not reporting the ROM and Board Serial in Hackintool. They show up as "???" in the v3.4.7 of Hackintool. I'm running these both off separate usb thumb drives. When I reboot with my main SSD boot loader which is Clover v5122, both ROM and Board Serial are reported correctly. I believe that I have double checked everything on the copy/paste side of both experimental config files, and the info is in there. Am I missing something? Anyone else seeing this in Hackintool?

Hi Casey,

I have flashed the attached firmware to my HP Thunderbolt add-in-card, the Thunderbolt bus does not appears in the system info. (I have dumped the firmware after flashing and checked it has same MD5 value)
Both the thunderbolt function and usb function can't be used
Could you please help to modify again.
That's what I suspected based on @dgsga's last post in this thread. Please flash the firmware indicated in the screenshot below, which can be downloaded from the Repository.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 8.44.54 AM.png

So, my hack was crashing semi-frequently upon wake. The crash logs cited 80211 driver as being the cause. I then I disabled wake from USB, which seemed to solve the problem. After a couple weeks of stability... My hack crashed upon manual wake (from power button) and then reboot with bios warning regarding some incompatible hardware and requesting that I reset to optimized defaults. So I did that, then re-loaded my hackintosh bios profile.

OpenCore boots macOS and it now hangs at the Apple logo with no progress bar. Heres a picture of verbose mode.

What happened? Will I need to restore macOS from a backup? My hack is currently bricked.

Im on the latest Catalina, latest WEgreen/Lilu, OpenCore 0.6.0, and my wificard is BCM94360CD
Sounds like CFG-Lock is enabled. As @Inqnuam mentioned, please install BIOS F9g. It can be downloaded from the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1.

Reposting because I think it just got buried:
@CaseySJ I've been experiencing some really strange system freezes that come with crazy harsh sounds (over DisplayPort, through the monitor), and the only way to get out of it is to cut power. This only happens when playing 4k video (VLC or IINA), minutes/seconds in. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it? My current guesses are that it is a memory issue or a GPU issue.

I also just updated to OC 0.6.3 and my bluetooth (fenvi) isn't working anymore. I think I may have mentioned this bug before in this thread, where if the machine powers down abruptly then bluetooth (but not wifi) is broken. Usually I fix this by booting into an old mojave or catalina install, but that's not working this time around.
Hello @kejocu,

Some standard background questions:
  • How long was the system running properly (i.e. without this issue)?
  • When did this issue first appear?
  • How frequently does this it occur?
  • Have you tried isolating variables (process of elimination)? Examples would be:
    • Playing the same 4K videos using QuickTime Player?
    • Checking if IGPU in BIOS is set to Enabled and Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003 (simply run Hackintool and it will show you the current Platform ID in the opening screen).
    • Possibly swapping the AMD GPU if you have access to another one.

Hi Casey,

Hope your fine, its been a long since posting back here ;-)

As you know, I've already flashed my Xtreme on-board Titan Ridge controller and since I had a free 60GB SSD laying around, I just installed Big Sur Beta 11.0.1 (20B5022a) - from Mald0n - on it and was surprised that it has detected my flashed Thunderbolt controller & attached Firewire card WITHOUT ANY THUNDERBOLT SSDT!!

.View attachment 494865View attachment 494866
Sure, that its missing the right ACPI thunderbolt identifiers, but its fully working for me to control an old SONY DCR TRV320E and import some old tapes via FCPX...

View attachment 494868
View attachment 494869
(I've also attached here the EFI folder I've used)

Unless I've done some really stupid I about to conclude the Big Sur is a very BIG updated to MacOS!!

What do you think ?

Paulo
Hello Paulo,

Good to hear from you again!

Ready for some bad news? Or maybe just "neutral" news?

Thunderbolt SSDT is not strictly necessary on Mojave or Catalina or Big Sur. The same behavior will occur in all of these operating systems.

Thunderbolt SSDT provides these additional capabilities:
  • Hot plug
  • Ability to change Bus ID when two or more controllers are present
  • Ability to set Link Speed to 40 Gbps instead of 20 Gbps
  • Ability to enable Thunderbolt Switch on Port 7 for Titan Ridge and Port 5 for Alpine Ridge
    • Target Disk Mode will not work unless Thunderbolt Switch is enabled
    • Some Thunderbolt NAS drives such as QNAP also require Thunderbolt Switch

Please try BIOS Setup --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once.
Hi Casey sorry, I haven't seen this message before.

I am looking in my BIOS but this option does not exist, only enabled or disabled

Edit: I have GPIO disabled in BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Casey sorry, I haven't seen this message before.

I am looking in my bios but this option does not exist, only enabled or disabled

Edit: I have GPIO disabled in bios
Enable GPIO and try again

Enable GPIO and try again
Same thing. No hot plug here. PCI report does not detect Thunderbolt if my device is not connected before turning on the computer.

Back