Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

That is not a simple SSDT. It cannot be used on other systems. Please describe what problem you’re trying to fix.
  • kPowerStateSuspended increasing value after boot, XHC2 is operating (my current SSDT)
  • kPowerStateOff increasing value after boot, XHC2 is operating only after Sleep/Wake.
I have problem. kPowerStateOff (99%) and not working XHC Controller on Thunderbolt.

Attached is the firmware dumped from HP Thunderbolt PCIE Add-in-card.
Thank you very much.

I haven't tried flashing the modified firmware of Asrock Z490 itx/tb3 to my HP PCIE Add-in-card, I found they have different IO name (HP-15E8/Asrock-15E7).

I try to use SSDT with changed IO path RP09 to active the HP TB3 Add-in-card, the Thunderbolt says that no drivers are loaded, please find the attached IO registry below.

BIOS setting:Thunderbolt Security - No Security
Please try the attached firmware for the HP Thunderbolt 3 add-in-card. Then check if Thunderbolt Bus appears in System Information --> Thunderbolt.

Attachments

• HP-TB3-AIC-TITAN-RIDGE-LP-CASEY-SJ-MOD-1.zip
    428.1 KB · Views: 55
Sure, I'll create a mini-guide for upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. Some comments:
  • Most Mojave users are not expected to upgrade to Big Sur for the same reason they have not upgraded to Catalina (i.e. no support for 32-bit apps).
  • The mini-guide will therefore focus on:
    • Upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur
    • OpenCore only
    • Must use BIOS F9g or higher with CFG-Lock disabled in the Boot section of BIOS Setup
You are the Man Casey! That's perfect and other than the BIOS upgrade, which I will do, fits my needs. I waited s bit for Catalina and then did full upgrade following your fantastic guide. OpenCore looks like it is the future anyway so, there you go.

This is perfectly normal. It allows the Mac to connect to the network through the iPhone or iPad when these iOS devices are connected via USB cable.
Ok good. I was hoping how those got added. I also saw a bunch of additional en# devices there also in the System Perferences->Network. My thinking was that some change/file..... that added the idevices also add the additional en# devices

My wired network connection kept freezing the system with any en0 activity. I removed the bogus devices with "-" in System Perferences->Network. Now the two onboard Lans are remaining (i211 is not connected) and the third being a 10G card that I removed. Removing the 10G had no affect, but removing the bogus en# devices did. It appears to have resolved the freeze issue. How would the additional en# devices get there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 12.38.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 12.38.44 PM.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 71
About that ethernet "AVB/EAV" mode that is not visible with these setups:

Is it actually on and performing, but invisible to these Clover or OC setups? Or is that another final frontier item as was Thunderbolt and Handoff?

The attachment is from a 2012 Mini 6,1.

Attachments

• AVB_EAV mode.png
    AVB_EAV mode.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 79
@CaseySJ Just wanted to report another success with thunderbolt firmware patching that could help others. I finally managed to extract the thunderbolt firmware from the ASRock Z490 itx/tb3 which has the Titan Ridge LP (low power, one port) chip, device ID 15e7. Tried the four byte patch approach initially but this resulted in devices never connecting even though the IOregistry showed a full thunderbolt tree. Tried all sorts of different combinations of patches and was on the verge of giving up when I thought I'd try your NVM50 patched firmware for the Vision D. I replaced all instances of the thunderbolt device id's for the Vision chip with those for the LP chip. So:
All instances of EA15 -> E715 in the first section of the active region
All instances of 8680EA15 -> 8680E715 in the firmware
All instances of 8680EB15 -> 8680E815 in the firmware
All instances of 8680EC15 -> 8680E915 in the firmware

I also replaced the Vision D DROM section with the Asrock DROM section that had been fixed using thunderboltutil.sh.

Result SUCCESS! I was very surprised that it worked...
Attached is the modified firmware and SSDT to add to the repo. Users need to correct the DROM in the SSDT with their own UID and fixed checksums
View attachment 492939

@dgsga Does TB3 work after sleep & wake? If so, which GPU are you using? Considering this MB but the problem I had with the Z390 ITX was that with the flashed TB firmware, I lost access to TB3 after sleep wake. Tried it with RX 580, Vega 64 & 5700XT - same result.

About that ethernet "AVB/EAV" mode that is not visible with these setups:

Is it actually on and performing, but invisible to these Clover or OC setups? Or is that another final frontier item as was Thunderbolt and Handoff?

The attachment is from a 2012 Mini 6,1.
In this thread there are documented cases of AVB (Audio/Video Bridge) actually working on this system.

So, my hack was crashing semi-frequently upon wake. The crash logs cited 80211 driver as being the cause. I then I disabled wake from USB, which seemed to solve the problem. After a couple weeks of stability... My hack crashed upon manual wake (from power button) and then reboot with bios warning regarding some incompatible hardware and requesting that I reset to optimized defaults. So I did that, then re-loaded my hackintosh bios profile.

OpenCore boots macOS and it now hangs at the Apple logo with no progress bar. Heres a picture of verbose mode.

What happened? Will I need to restore macOS from a backup? My hack is currently bricked.

Im on the latest Catalina, latest WEgreen/Lilu, OpenCore 0.6.0, and my wificard is BCM94360CD

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
Reposting because I think it just got buried:
@CaseySJ I've been experiencing some really strange system freezes that come with crazy harsh sounds (over DisplayPort, through the monitor), and the only way to get out of it is to cut power. This only happens when playing 4k video (VLC or IINA), minutes/seconds in. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it? My current guesses are that it is a memory issue or a GPU issue.

I also just updated to OC 0.6.3 and my bluetooth (fenvi) isn't working anymore. I think I may have mentioned this bug before in this thread, where if the machine powers down abruptly then bluetooth (but not wifi) is broken. Usually I fix this by booting into an old mojave or catalina install, but that's not working this time around.

Last edited:
OpenCore boots macOS and it now hangs at the Apple logo with no progress bar. Heres a picture of verbose mode.

What happened? Will I need to restore macOS from a backup? My hack is currently bricked.
What is your BIOS version?
I think the problem is CFG-Lock

Back