Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I've been experiencing some really strange system freezes that come with crazy harsh sounds (over DisplayPort, through the monitor), and the only way to get out of it is to cut power. This only happens when playing 4k video (VLC or IINA), minutes/seconds in. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it? My current guesses are that it is a memory issue or a GPU issue.

Last edited:
Glad to see this build discussion still kicking and alive. My system is still running and kicking like a beast, and I'm really grateful for the existence of this thread.

Seeing I'm a couple releases of OpenCore behind I wanted to update my system to the latest Catalina & OpenCore 0.6.4.
I've found mentions of the 0.6.3 mini-guide, but couldn't find it, nor could I find one for 0.6.4. Is there a guide out already?

Found the test EFI @CaseySJ posted a few posts before. Booted fine, and running without issues here.

Edit:
Also reading the Z490 thread, I'm understanding the onboard WiFi chip working on that board. Is it possible to activate it on the Z390 Designare as well? I couldn't find info on this here.

Last edited:
Good morning community

First of all say that thank you very much for the great altruistic work that you do to all, it is really priceless !!

After following many guides, I have modified firmware on Titan Ridge v1 (GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin)

I have DROM modified with the web method

I still have some problems in my pci report. I've reached my capacity limit hahaha. Thanks in advance !!

*PD: sorry for my Google English, I'm clumsy Spanish :lol:

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-11-07 a las 11.00.01.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-11-07 a las 11.00.01.png
    172 KB · Views: 55
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-11-07 a las 11.00.18.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-11-07 a las 11.00.18.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-11-07 a las 11.00.29.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-11-07 a las 11.00.29.png
    250.2 KB · Views: 46
  • iMac Pro (ioreg report).ioreg
    8.3 MB · Views: 48
  • EFI.zip
    15.9 MB · Views: 47
Seeing I'm a couple releases of OpenCore behind I wanted to update my system to the latest Catalina & OpenCore 0.6.4.
I've found mentions of the 0.6.3 mini-guide, but couldn't find it, nor could I find one for 0.6.4. Is there a guide out already?
OpenCore 0.6.4 isn't out yet, only a beta version is available.
You can update to 0.6.3, EFI folder is here
Please follow this guide to transfer PlatformInfo
Also reading the Z490 thread, I'm seeing the onboard WiFi chip working on that board. Is it possible to activate it on the Z390 Designare as well? I couldn't find info on this here.
We have tested Z390 Designare's onboard Intel Wifi but current state of results is not satisfactory

Good morning community

First of all say that thank you very much for the great altruistic work that you do to all, it is really priceless !!

After following many guides, I have modified firmware on Titan Ridge v1 (GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin)

I have DROM modified with the web method

I still have some problems in my pci report. I've reached my capacity limit hahaha. Thanks in advance !!

*PD: sorry for my google english, I'm clumsy spanish :lol:
Hello @fpazcas,

The System Information --> PCI screenshot actually looks correct. When we connect Thunderbolt devices to the system, macOS automatically generates PCI name, description, and slot information. We can override the default values by creating Device Properties, but we should not do this for devices that are not permanently connected.

So in other words, the "PCI" screen is just informational, but not functional. As long as it says that the drivers for Thunderbolt devices are loaded, there is nothing to worry about.

FCPX will work without issues if I open it when I login to macOS. If I do other things like browsing, emails etc it will boot again but I can't export and can't quit also (only force quit). Im not sure about the time after 1st login but if I say 20-30 minutes after login then its 100% sure that it won't work.
Yes the "export dialog" does not appear.
Yes iSkysoft has similar problems. It works when I login w/o issues but after a period of time it's not converting and the apple rotating circle is spinning forever (only force quit works also).
Yes the computer after relaunching the finder it will shut down at least. If when I login I will do shut down in the first minutes then it shuts down without issues.

Yes Im using mainly photography and videography plugins like Red Giant suite and Nik Collection. But I was using the exact same plugins when my system was running without issues for more than a year (with your guides installing Mojave and then upgrading to Catalina).
The problem was there after installing OC 0.6.0 (fresh installation). This was done twice recently.
I can't disable third party plugins but I can uninstall them. Im sure its not about them cause my 2nd system has the same plugins and its working also for more than a year w/o issues (installing Mojave and then upgrading to Catalina with Clover).

From my conclusion I think that all this is related either to iGpu or AMD Gpu acceleration.
That's why I would like to learn from other users on this thread that if they have similar issues with fcpx. Most ppl here have almost identical systems.
UPDATE 07-11-2020:
Finally I got rid of the issue with final cut pro X. CaseySJ I found the post you mention OpenCore Sanity Checker. So I used my config.plist and fixed all the errors Sanity Checker was reporting. After that Finder and fcpx work w/o issues. I can't talk enough how great Sanity Checker is!!! Hope at Tuesday BigSur will launch and soon have a great guide from CaseySJ. Best Regards!

... Also reading the Z490 thread, I'm understanding the onboard WiFi chip working on that board. Is it possible to activate it on the Z390 Designare as well? I couldn't find info on this here.

We have tested Z390 Designare's onboard Intel Wifi but current state of results is not satisfactory
Correct. The performance of OpenIntelWireless on the Z390 Designare is excruciatingly slow at this time. I am encouraged by the progress made thus far so we will continue to evaluate new releases.

Hello @fpazcas,

The System Information --> PCI screenshot actually looks correct. When we connect Thunderbolt devices to the system, macOS automatically generates PCI name, description, and slot information. We can override the default values by creating Device Properties, but we should not do this for devices that are not permanently connected.

So in other words, the "PCI" screen is just informational, but not functional. As long as it says that the driver for Thunderbolt devices is loaded, there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you very much for the quick response Casey !!

I'm very happy to see that everything is correct. I thought that I could have conflicts due to poorly adapted ssdts due to my ignorance.

UPDATE 07-11-2020:
Finally I got rid of the issue with final cut pro X. CaseySJ I found the post you mention OpenCore Sanity Checker. So I used my config.plist and fixed all the errors Sanity Checker was reporting. After that Finder and fcpx work w/o issues. I can't talk enough how great Sanity Checker is!!! Hope at Tuesday BigSur will launch and soon have a great guide from CaseySJ. Best Regards!
Glad to hear it. Other FCPX users might benefit from knowing which errors/warnings were fixed...

OpenCore 0.6.4 isn't out yet, only a beta version is available.
You can update to 0.6.3, EFI folder is here
Please follow this guide to transfer PlatformInfo

Thanks for the reply, further reading, and around 20 pages back I found the test EFI for OC 0.6.3, which I installed by manually copying the PlatformInfo. Will use the HackinDorm website next time.

Quite a shame for the WiFi, I had my hopes up. I'm currently using an old iPhone in tethering mode.

Back