Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm surprised that the system is booting without an EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. Just when I thought the computing world, of all things, was black and white (zero and one)... ;)

Are you sure that disk is booting or is there an EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI located on another disk?

EDIT: Nevermind! That was done by EasyUEFI with a new boot entry.

Yes, I think the fact that I used EasyUEFI kinda fixed the issue with scotch tape and popsicle sticks, but if it breaks again then I know how to properly fix it. I'm not too worried about it, because whenever Big Sir is stable and hackintosh-able, I might switch to 10th gen or just go to a 9th gen ITX build, which I will switch to two 2TB NVMes. At that point I'll just install fresh most likely. Thanks so much for your help!

Upgraded to the latest Big Sur Beta. Went painless this time ;)

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 15.57.27.png

I'm on 10.15.7
Clover 5125 and 5126 freeze at the bootloader screen, pre-boot. It won't even start to boot, so flags don't help. It just freezes.

I thought maybe it had something to do with OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices, but they are the latest you've posted. I've updated Clover Configurator to 5.16.0.0 and all kexts.

I booted from the carbon copy backup on my HDD and rolled back my SSD EFI folder to Clover 5122. Everything is fine for now, but always in motion is the future. Please let me know if this is a bug I should report somewhere else.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.30.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.30.10 PM.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I'm on 10.15.7
Clover 5125 and 5126 freeze at the bootloader screen, pre-boot. It won't even start to boot, so flags don't help. It just freezes.

I thought maybe it had something to do with OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices, but they are the latest you've posted. I've updated Clover Configurator to 5.16.0.0 and all kexts.

I booted from my HDD and rolled back my SDD EFI folder to Clover 5122. Everything is fine for now, but always in motion is the future. Please let me know if this is a bug I should report somewhere else.
Clover is in a caterpillar stage at the moment as it morphs from its bootloader codebase to OpenCore's codebase. Many of us have faced the problems you described, so I've added a note at the top of Post #1. It's okay to stay on Clover 5122 or switch to OpenCore itself.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 2.29.02 PM.png

I’ve finally left Clover for OpenCore. @CaseySJ I did try your guide first but no luck. I got the Apple logo but no progress bar (even after an NVRAM reset) ...

But the following EFI did work out of the box (expect Bluetooth). His version seems more minimalist and less intrusive. Or am I missing some cool features with your EFI version?

Thanks

Hi @CaseySJ - I am happy to report that I was able to fix the phantom wakeups by posting this in terminal:
sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0

I am honestly not sure which process resulted in this issue, but after changing that, I have no more random wakeups.

I do have one other question though -- I just got speakers for my computer that I plugged into the Audio (green) on the motherboard. I do not get any sound out of these, even by using the AppleALC kext.. is there anything else that I have to do? (I do get sound out of the NZXT audio port on the front of the case though). I am on OpenCore 0.5.6 currently

I was curious if you have any other issues related with random wakeups. For me they are particularly pernicious because usually they wake the machine around 1am or 2am and then when I wake up in the morning I see the machine was running all night, and it burns about 150W constantly without any purpose. I also had sequences of random events like these - about a few a day:
2020-10-30 01:36:52.731125-0700 localhost powerd[75]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>" identity: "<private>"
2020-10-30 01:37:16.737175-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP03 PXSX RP06 PXSX RP07 PXSX RP08 PXSX PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX RP14 PXSX RP15 P
2020-10-30 01:37:16.737177-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP03 PXSX RP06 PXSX RP07 PXSX RP08 PXSX PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX RP14 PXSX RP15 P
2020-10-30 17:17:01.112283-0700 localhost powerd[75]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>" identity: "<private>"
2020-10-30 17:17:24.251748-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP03 PXSX RP06 PXSX RP07 PXSX RP08 PXSX PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX RP14 PXSX RP15 P
2020-10-30 17:17:24.251749-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP03 PXSX RP06 PXSX RP07 PXSX RP08 PXSX PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX RP14 PXSX RP15 P

Based on yours and other users comments, I had previously turned off "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in Bluetooth->Advanced, unticked everything in 'Energy Saver" , and here are the results of my pmset:

gauss ~ % pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake 0
powernap 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
standbydelayhigh 0
sleep 0
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 0
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow 0

I still had random wakeups with all these on... Right now I'm also disabling "Find my Mac" in "Apple ID" and when I run your tcpkeepalive I get a strange message - hopefully can ignore it:

gauss ~ % sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0
Warning: This option disables TCP Keep Alive mechanism when sytem is sleeping. This will result in some critical features like 'Find My Mac' not to function properly.

Of course I know where my Mac is all the time, it weighs some 50 pounds and is not going anywhere :)
I will let you know if the random wakes stopped after that. Anything else I should consider?
Thanks!

Hi!

Anyone with this build is having issues with wakeup from sleep within Windows?

I'm new to windows, and only got it installed recently when I got myself a new RX580. My build works OK with Catalina with OpenCore, but at Windows, my computer won't wake up. My guess it's caused by some EFI settings?

Hi!

Anyone with this build is having issues with wakeup from sleep within Windows?

I'm new to windows, and only got it installed recently when I got myself a new RX580. My build works OK with Catalina with OpenCore, but at Windows, my computer won't wake up. My guess it's caused by some EFI settings?
Are you booting Windows using OpenCore? If so, I wouldn’t recommend it even though some users have it working fine. Just use your BIOS boot selector.

If you are using the BIOS, it could be a multitude of solely Windows-related issues and have nothing to do with hackintosh. My laptop doesn’t wake up from sleep after a fresh install last week.

Back