Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please follow the General Thunderbolt DROM Guide where you will find that an entry has been added for the Asus UX550GE. Download the SSDT from HackinDROM and SSDT-DTPG that is attached to the guide.
Thank you once again @CaseySJ
I've made the changes and now I have a working Thunderbolt. At least the speeds shown in system info and the NVME Enclosure now works at 10Gbps (previous was at 480Mbps). I have to find a thunderbolt device to confirm that also.
You can add the UX580GE to your list as is the same board with UX550GE and has the same TB3 DROM (checked the md5 of the dumped files) and the same TB3 DSDT path. I've applied the same changes to both of them and got the same results.

Hello everybody,

If I understand the above numbers, the in-built Alpine Ridge bridge in the Quantum negotiate at PCIe 1.1 specs, 1x 2.5 GT/s, correct? Is this normal?

Thanks,

Patrice

<------ See my Z390 setup over there <-------
It looks fine. The connection speed seems to be dependent on the speed of the little TB card that is inside whatever device you're connecting, as well as the capabilities of the Thunderbolt cable. My Apollo has a Falcon Ridge-type TB 2 card inside because it was made in ~2016. I'm not convinced that the latency (RTL) would be lower if I dropped $600 on a UAD TB 3 card: My FW400 MBox Pro and FW400 003R is only 2ms "slower"in RTL than the Apollo at 48 KHz.

My Z390 Thunderbolt has not been flashed. I have full powerswap/hotswap with my UAD Apollo 8 and my BMD MultiDock 2. FWIW, it is the stock Z390 and I run the i9 at 4.8 GHz.

Attachments

• BMD MultiDock 2 connection speed.png
    BMD MultiDock 2 connection speed.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 56
  • UAD connection speed.png
    UAD connection speed.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Pro Tools Buffer at 128_48KHz.png
    Pro Tools Buffer at 128_48KHz.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Cinebench.png
    Cinebench.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 56
  • GB5.png
    GB5.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 60
<------ See my Z390 setup over there <-------
It looks fine. The connection speed seems to be dependent on the speed of the little TB card that is inside whatever device you're connecting, as well as the capabilities of the Thunderbolt cable. My Apollo has a Falcon Ridge-type TB 2 card inside because it was made in ~2016. I'm not convinced that the latency (RTL) would be lower if I dropped $600 on a UAD TB 3 card: My FW400 MBox Pro and FW400 003R is only 2ms "slower"in RTL than the Apollo at 48 KHz.

My Z390 Thunderbolt has not been flashed. I have full powerswap/hotswap with my UAD Apollo 8 and my BMD MultiDock 2. FWIW, it is the stock Z390 and I run the i9 at 4.8 GHz.
Thanks @jiffyslot , it conforts me that your UAD Apollo 8 shows some similarities with the Quantum.

I guess Presonus built the 2626 with TB3 connection but limits bandwidth to TB1 specs inside their bridge chip...

BTW, the Quantum works really great at the lowest latencies I haven’t seen since my PCI days (AP2496, Echo Mia...). 64 buffers gives 3.4 ms RTL. I’m not doing pro audio work, just amateur use as my day job (music teacher in elementary school) does not need « pro » level ;)

Patrice

Last edited:
Thank you once again @CaseySJ
I've made the changes and now I have a working Thunderbolt. At least the speeds shown in system info and the NVME Enclosure now works at 10Gbps (previous was at 480Mbps). I have to find a thunderbolt device to confirm that also.
You can add the UX580GE to your list as is the same board with UX550GE and has the same TB3 DROM (checked the md5 of the dumped files) and the same TB3 DSDT path. I've applied the same changes to both of them and got the same results.
Glad to hear it! I added the UX550GE to the Repository earlier this morning, but will add a compatibility note for UX580GE.

Edit: Done.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.10.20 PM.png

Hi gang! It feels lika the day before Christmas, im very stoked about the new Radeon GPUs. Hopefully I will get my hands on one! But how does it work with the drivers – are they/will they be in Catalina or must I upgrade to Big Sur?

And speaking of Big Sur, when will the official release approximately be? I thought it would been released by now :)

Hi gang! It feels lika the day before Christmas, im very stoked about the new Radeon GPUs. Hopefully I will get my hands on one! But how does it work with the drivers – are they/will they be in Catalina or must I upgrade to Big Sur?

And speaking of Big Sur, when will the official release approximately be? I thought it would been released by now :)
AMD has officially announced its agreement to buy Xilinx in a $35 billion all-stock deal. If approved by regulators in the US and elsewhere, this will make AMD a more significant force in the computing world and adjacent markets. It's becoming clear that AMD has no intention of being the underdog, but aspires to be the best.

Unlike Nvidia Ampere GPUs which are nowhere to be seen (except on YouTube), I expect RX 6000 series to actually be purchase-able on launch day. Launch day may not be tomorrow, but a few short weeks from now.

As for Mac-compatibility, I believe that may occur with the official release of Big Sur around the rumored Apple Event date of November 17. There is no certainty this will happen, but we have seen evidence of it in Big Sur code.

Finally, the hype around RX 6000 has grown quite a bit in recent days with speculation that a variant of the series may even compete with the RTX 3090.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 12.27.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-27 at 12.27.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes, that’s how it should be!
Hi @CaseySJ

So I have a TB3 monitor plugged into the Titan ridge add-in card but the card is not "activating" when I startup the computer. So no image is being displayed. So I have to reboot. On reboot however, if I plugged in an hdmi cable to the same gpu( sapphire 5700xt nitro) the monitor will turn on but will act as a 2nd display for the computer. If I switch over to the TB3 input and unplug the hdmi cable, everything works fine. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

So I have a TB3 monitor plugged into the Titan ridge add-in card but the card is not "activating" when I startup the computer. So no image is being displayed. So I have to reboot. On reboot however, if I plugged in an hdmi cable to the same gpu( sapphire 5700xt nitro) the monitor will turn on but will act as a 2nd display for the computer. If I switch over to the TB3 input and unplug the hdmi cable, everything works fine. Any suggestions?
Please try using a ghost plug. Only one ghost plug is sufficient.

Last edited:
Back