Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Howdy.

Please make sure that you still have a valid EFI folder on the UEFI partition of your bootdisk and that the BIOS is "pointing" to that EFI partition when the machine first boots.

After that, the machine should be pointing to the right disk for OS boot.

It's a little different between Clover and OC. FWIW, I'm having a lot more success with Mojave and OC 0.6.2 than I had with Clover. But there's a slight difference with the OC setup between Mojave and Catalina, according to the Dortania Coffee Lake guide.

If you zip and post your EFI, I'll take a look at it this afternoon.
Thanks for your answer Jiffyslot,

However I don't think the problem is the EFI folder.
The bios is pointing to the right disk:
When I want to boot on the new Catalina installation I select the Catalina SSD after pressing F12 on Bios boot.
The same when I want to boot to my previous Mojave, I select the Mojave SSD after pressing F12 on Bios boot.
I didn't touch the EFI folder on my Mojave partition. It's still there and it looks exactly like it was before the new installation.

The strange thing is this one:
I cannot boot the Mojave system unless the Catalina SSD is also connected.
So you may think. "You are actually using the EFI from the Catalina partition to boot the Mojave."
No, because if I select the Catalina SSD on the bios I have a different clover theme then my previous Mojave clover boot. Also, when I do that (Select Catalina SSD on bios boot) but also select Mojave SSD during clover boot I can't boot anyway on Mojave.

The EFI on Mojave is working, but there is something the interfere with the clover boot.
I red something about NVRAM could do something similar any though on that?

Not sure what you mean by items 1 and 2, but regarding item 3, please create a custom Thunderbolt DROM based on this guide (use Method 3):

Not sure what you mean by items 1 and 2, but regarding item 3, please create a custom Thunderbolt DROM based on this guide (use Method 3):

Thank you! I am getting stuck on finding the correct pci bus since this is the add-in card. I have

From hackintool I have this device path for both the AIC and TB3

AIC
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Built-in TB3
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Would the pci bus for the AIC be 0x1B? and the pci bus for the built-in TB3 be(0x1C ?

Hi @CaseySJ,

I've been following this thread pretty attentively since its inception and I don't think I've seen a mention about getting the red USB Type-A ports running at their 3.1 gen 2 speeds of 10Gbps as reported by Gigabyte's documentation of the Z390 Designare. I'm just curious about whether or not this is even possible as I was fairly certain that 10Gbps was relegated to Type-C USB ports on real Macs until I noticed yesterday that Everymac.com reports that the 2018 Mac mini has 3.1 gen 2 Type-A ports. I'm currently awaiting some C to A adapters that should be able to do 10Gbps to investigate this claim on my own Mac mini.

With that being said, I just wanted to bring this up as a point of curiousity and completely understand if it is of minimal interest for you to look into or pursue. Finding devices and accessories that use Type-A 3.1 gen 2 seems to be the most difficult thing to do.

@CaseySJ I messed around the bios settings with setup_var_3, and it seems the egpu is sort of detected with hotplug (with an unknown device); however, the egpu is still not worked. (PCI detects nothing in System Information app except the Alpha Ridge chip; Nvidia driver is not loaded) With coldboot, the results is still the same and worse with these bios settings - nothing is shown in the thunderbolt bus. I attached the ioregs. (It seems nothing changed.) Do you think I should use these bios settings with your mod1? I am curious what you changed in those mods.

View attachment 492854

I'm trying the following bios setup with setup_var_3:

Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP 0x513 Enabled 0x1
Security Level 0x4F3 No Security 0x0
Current Security Level 0x127B No Security 0x0
SW SMI on TBT hot-plug 0x4F5 Enabled 0x1
ACPI Notify on TBT Hot-plug 0x4F7 Enabled 0x1
GPIO3 Force Pwr 0x4F0 Enabled 0x1
Enable TBT ASPM 0x514 L1.1 & L1.2 0X3
Windows 10 Thunderbolt support 0x512 Enable + RTD3 0X2
Hello @shiecldk,

I've modified the Thunderbolt SSDT to compute the root port using a different method. The previous version failed to activate Thunderbolt Bus because it most likely used the wrong root port pointer. So you are welcome to try the new version as follows:
  • Flash original firmware back to the chip.
  • Copy the attached SSDT to the EFI partition (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Alienware-M15-V2.aml).
  • Check that the ACPI rename is still enabled (Change _E04 to XE04).
  • Check that SSDT-DTPG.aml is also present.
  • By the way, DSDT.aml is present in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. Is it necessary? I am not sure if the above ACPI rename will work if you're using a customized DSDT.
Also, have you tried both CSM Support enabled and disabled in BIOS?

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPch-Alienware-M15-V2.aml
    4.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
That was very prompt. Thanks Casey!
Unfortunately, I still get "Check cable connection". Here's the screenshot of my config.plist after reboot:
I did remove ig-platform-id form the Graphics page.

I have also attached my config.plist if that helps (with Serial Number removed from SMBIOS as you requested).

That screenshot looks good. Let's check some more things:
  • Which version of WhateverGreen are you using?
  • Which cable are you using? Do you have a product link?
  • In BIOS, is Internal Graphics enabled?
  • Please run IORegistryExplorer, select File --> Save As..., and post the saved file. This will show us the iGPU configuration.

By the way, I stumbled upon your post where you "absolutely do NOT recommend changing platform ID to 0x3E9B0007" for an AMD GPU, which is exactly what I have. Is my case different?
Using the iGPU to drive a display monitor is not recommended, but it is okay for temporarily use (generally for debugging a problem with AMD GPU or while waiting for AMD GPU order to be delivered).

Because you are trying to debug the issue of blank screen after wake-from-sleep with the AMD GPU, I don't think it makes too much sense to activate iGPU video. However, this still makes sense if you subsequently remove the AMD GPU and test sleep/wake behavior using only the on-board video ports.
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • What is the make/model of the AMD GPU?

Hi everyone.

I had a Mojave Clover installation that worked very well for the past 6 months, so I though it was the time to update to Catalina.

I have Mojave on a Sabrent 1TB NVMe and yesterday I made a fresh Catalina Installation to a spare 250gb Samsung 850 Evo. Let call them SSD Mojave and SSD Catalina.

I followed the Catalina Mini guide and everything worked fine, I successfully boot on Clover, Installed Catalina and boot on the new Mac OS. Catalina is working just fine - from what I can tell.

Now going back to the Mojave installation, It seems like something is messing up with the Mojave Clover boot.

1st:
Although I have set up the Default boot Volume as Mojave SSD in clover, the first drive that shows when I boot is the Catalina one (So I have to manually switch to the Mojave SSD during clover boot, and it doest boot in Mojave properly.)

2nd:
If I disconnect the Catalina SSD (so apparently the situation is exactly the same before the Catalina new installation and it should work perfectly as before), I cannot boot anymore on Mojave. I get this error after clover boot.

If I connect the Catalina SSD drive, I can still boot on Mojave
(From the Bios boot after pressing F12, I always select the Mojave SSD drive - No the Catalina one).

I did some research and it could be something related to NVRam but I'm not sure, I didn't find the proper answer yet.

Also, this is not the first time that this happen to me.
A few months ago I tried the same process with a OpenCore Catalina installation and I had a similar situation where I could boot from the new Clover Catalina but I couldn't boot anymore on the previous volumes.
After a few hours of panic because I had 2 different backup drivers of Mojave (so I thought I was safe before start everything) and none of them was booting.
I figured out a way to boot on Mojave (not sure how) and so I decided to delete the new OpenCore installation and don't update to Catalina.

There is definitively something wrong I do that mess up with the clover boot but I'm not sure what.
Any of you have any idea? Any way to avoid all of this and have all the volumes booting properly?

Ps.
Although I have been running hackintosh for 7-8 yeas now I'm not an expert and I'm sorry if what I'm asking is something very simple that I shouldn't ask. I thank you in advance if you find the time to help me on that.
Some questions/comments/statements:
  • Catalina was a fresh installation.
  • Catalina SSD has its own EFI partition with its own EFI folder.
  • Catalina SSD uses Clover. Which version?
Then:
  • Mojave was not modified in any way.
  • Mojave SSD has its own EFI partition with its own EFI folder.
  • Mojave SSD uses Clover and it is still working fine to boot Mojave.
Then:
  • You use F12 at BIOS to choose either Catalina or Mojave.
  • When you choose Mojave, everything is fine with booting Mojave.
  • When you choose Catalina, Catalina does not boot. It shows the "No Entry" symbol.
If correct so far, then:
  • Select Catalina SSD from F12 BIOS Boot Menu.
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, press spacebar to reveal options.
  • Use arrow keys to select Verbose.
  • Press spacebar to toggle it on.
  • Press Esc to return to BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Boot Catalina.
  • What do you see on screen?
  • And again, what version of Clover are you using on the Catalina SSD?

Last edited:
Thank you! I am getting stuck on finding the correct pci bus since this is the add-in card. I have

From hackintool I have this device path for both the AIC and TB3

AIC
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Built-in TB3
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Would the pci bus for the AIC be 0x1B? and the pci bus for the built-in TB3 be(0x1C ?
To determine the Root Port name, we can simply download and run IORegistryExplorer. Then select File --> Save As... and post the saved file.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I've been following this thread pretty attentively since its inception and I don't think I've seen a mention about getting the red USB Type-A ports running at their 3.1 gen 2 speeds of 10Gbps as reported by Gigabyte's documentation of the Z390 Designare. I'm just curious about whether or not this is even possible as I was fairly certain that 10Gbps was relegated to Type-C USB ports on real Macs until I noticed yesterday that Everymac.com reports that the 2018 Mac mini has 3.1 gen 2 Type-A ports. I'm currently awaiting some C to A adapters that should be able to do 10Gbps to investigate this claim on my own Mac mini.

With that being said, I just wanted to bring this up as a point of curiousity and completely understand if it is of minimal interest for you to look into or pursue. Finding devices and accessories that use Type-A 3.1 gen 2 seems to be the most difficult thing to do.
When your Type-C to Type-A adapter arrives, I would be curious to know what speeds you get on those red ports...

Now I got thunderbolt working on header-less mainboard. I appreciate it.
But I have some problems. I hope your advice.
* I'm using GC-Alpine-Ridge with connecting jumper.

1. No hot plug : It should be connected before power on and hot plug is not working.
2. Thunderbolt@5 is empty. Is this important?

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.48.48 AM.png

EFI & ioreg attached.

* Solved : Edit TB SSDT. In my case, I plugged tb card in pcie 16x. So, I edited RP21 to PEG0 & PXSX to PEGP..
then, Volla! IOThunderboltPort@5 shows informations & hot plug is working.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back