Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ - thanks as always for your hard work on pulling the guides together. My build has been running flawlessly for the last 6 months on Catalina.

I would like to test out Big Sur on an external SSD but I am still on the original Clover build. I understand I need to switch to OpenCore first - should I be following this guide Open Core Mini Guide and using 0.6.1 first - bit confused as there seem to be a few.

Am I then able to do an update from a clone of my Catalina disk to Big Sur public beta 6 or does it have to a fresh install?

@CaseySJ - thanks as always for your hard work on pulling the guides together. My build has been running flawlessly for the last 6 months on Catalina.

I would like to test out Big Sur on an external SSD but I am still on the original Clover build. I understand I need to switch to OpenCore first - should I be following this guide Open Core Mini Guide and using 0.6.1 first - bit confused as there seem to be a few.

Am I then able to do an update from a clone of my Catalina disk to Big Sur public beta 6 or does it have to a fresh install?
I suggest you a fresh install of Big Sur Public Beta on your external SSD by following this guide

Thanks @Inqnuam - I will give that a go as a fresh install then. Do you know if it is possible to update from Catalina as well, just to avoid having to re-install lots of apps etc from scratch again?

It didnt , should i reinstall?
One can always reinstall and copy files and apps from the backup, but if the backup disk won’t boot either then it indicates a different problem. Perhaps CFG-Lock is enabled? Which version of BIOS are you running?

Thanks Inqnuam - I will give that a go as a fresh install then. Do you know if it is possible to update from Catalina as well, just to avoid having to re-install lots of apps etc from scratch again?
It is possible to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur, but it is best to do so on a separate copy of Catalina because some apps may not work until their developers release updates.

It is possible to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur, but it is best to do so on a separate copy of Catalina because some apps may not work until their developers release updates.
Time Machine is ideal for me
I mean make a backup of Catalina with Time Machine
Fresh new install of Big Sur on external SSD
Restore the backup on Big Sur

Thaks Casey. So I need to convert from Clover to Opencore first, get my clone of Catalina booting in Opencore and then try and upgrade to Big Sur?

It's the converting my existing Clover bootloader to OpenCore that I am a bit unclear on!

Hmm seems that upgrading to the latest beta failed for me. I’m stuck here in the process and pc reboots after this. Any idea how to fix this without a reinstall? @CaseySJ ps; I can mount the ssd to another Mac if necessary.

Attachments

• 2E4A4BAA-AF18-47A6-B562-03528DE269F6.png
    2E4A4BAA-AF18-47A6-B562-03528DE269F6.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 54
Hmm seems that upgrading to the latest beta failed for me. I’m stuck here in the process and pc reboots after this. Any idea how to fix this without a reinstall? @CaseySJ ps; I can mount the ssd to another Mac if necessary.
Whats your OC version?
your trying to update to the latest Big Sure Public Beta?

in your post about Gigabyte startup logo I can see you have a problem in your config.plist:
img_1153-jpg.491893

Whats your OC version?
your trying to update to the latest Big Sure Public Beta?

in your post about Gigabyte startup logo I can see you have a problem in your config.plist:
img_1153-jpg.491893
Yeah I had this all the time since Big Sur, but I thought I could ignore it.

I'm running OC 0.6.2. And, indeed, trying to update to the latest Big Sur beta. But now I'm not able to boot anymore.

Back