Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Micro-Guide: Radeon Speed Boost **
for Vega 56/64, Radeon VII, RX 5500/XT, RX 5700/XT
Please do not quote this micro-guide in its entirely. Post a link instead.​

With the release of macOS 10.15.7 and Apple's updated AMD drivers, is Radeon Boost still beneficial? Also, is there any impact when used in conjunction with OC 0.6.2?

Seems that all versions of EFIClone I found are afflicted with this problem for the detection of APFS disk numbers when there are more than 10 disks in the system. Actually it is very easy to get 10 disks because Apple creates many virtual disks, and I ended up with 11 disks when I added one more external USB drive and created an APFS system. I actually only have one NVME and a pair of hard drives in my system ...

Take a look at getAPFSPhysicalDiskNumber() function:

Notice there is a rev that flips the whole text ... doesn't matter when you have only a single digit .... but when you have more than one, it matters .... The second problem is the grep for the Container ... If $1 above is disk1 it can match disk1, disk10, disk12 whatever so we need to get only the first match. Notice that $1 is disk13 there will be only one match to the grep unless you have 100s of disks but that is not reasonable on a Mac system. The simple fix is:

I attached a new version with this message ...

This has already been fixed in the new release of EFIClone, as Ploddles already explained.

I've taken this opportunity to promote the new version to the main version on the repo given that enough time has passed that testing would've revealed any further bugs. As such, EFIClone 2.0.0 is available at this link: Link

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.6.2 EFI for Designare Z390 **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.15.0.0 or Newer

NOTE: There is a bug in 2.15.0.0 that adds DummyPowerManagement into Kernel Quirks. You will see warning on boot. This can be ignored. To fix the problem, wait for 2.15.0.1 or edit config.plist in Plist Editor and remove DummyPowerManagement from Kernel Quirks section (not from Kernel Emulate).​

@CaseySJ Thanks again for all the great stuff you do for everyone. Just an FYI that there is a minor issues with the provided config.plist that produces the message "OCS: no scheme for DummyPowerManagement at 8 index; context Quirks" before the OC Picker Menu is shown. In OC 0.6.2 the DummyPowerManagement has been moved to Kernel-> Emulate, but it seems that OpenCore Configurator 2.15.00 doesn't remove the old entry located in Kernel-> Quirks-> DummyPowerManagement. Cleaning up the entry fixes the error message.
1602088712245.png

This has already been fixed in the new release of EFIClone, as Ploddles already explained.

I've taken this opportunity to promote the new version to the main version on the repo given that enough time has passed that testing would've revealed any further bugs. As such, EFIClone 2.0.0 is available at this link: Link

Nope, that is also broken ... just look at the getAPFSPhysicalDiskNumber() it needs the modification I suggested if you have more than 10 total (real+virtual) disks

Nope, that is also broken ... just look at the getAPFSPhysicalDiskNumber() it needs the modification I suggested if you have more than 10 total (real+virtual) disks

it does not. please notice the extra space in the new version, which also fixes this issue.

EFIClone_v4.sh is a deprecated version that was replaced by EFIClone_v2.sh. See the note dated 11-Aug-2020 in post 8805 on page 881. Have you tried that version?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-881#post-2018771

Available on Github HERE

Yes, I tried that version ... In this version the problem is in the function get_apfs_physical_disk_number() - the name of the function changed in the new version, but needs the fix

echo "$(diskutil apfs list | grep -A 9 "Container $1 " | grep "APFS Physical Store" | rev | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | cut -d 's' -f 2 | cut -d 'k' -f 1)"

should be

echo "$( diskutil apfs list | grep -A 9 "Container $1" | head -10 | grep "APFS Physical Store" | rev | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | cut -d 's' -f 2 | cut -d 'k' -f 1 | rev )"

it does not. please notice the extra space in the new version, which also fixes this issue.

Yes, the extra space is even a better solution than inserting the 'head -10' because would create a better match in case we go to over 100 disks ... I thought about that but was not sure that a space was guaranteed in the output of diskutil ... In any case the second rev is also missing there, so if your result was supposed to be disk10 will be disk01

Yes, the extra space is even a better solution than inserting the 'head -10' because would create a better match in case we go to over 100 disks ... I thought about that but was not sure that a space was guaranteed in the output of diskutil ... In any case the second rev is also missing there, so if your result was supposed to be disk10 will be disk01

The missing reverse is indeed correct, I've pushed an update already.

This is likely relevant to @CaseySJ too, exec summary:
- New EFIClone that I announced some months ago was promoted to main script (so the url may have changed if you had a guide pointing to it, please double-check)
- Missing "rev" in APFS disk number method could lead to a problem with too many disks, as pointed out by telicha.

@CaseySJ Thanks again for all the great stuff you do for everyone. Just an FYI that there is a minor issues with the provided config.plist that produces the message "OCS: no scheme for DummyPowerManagement at 8 index; context Quirks" before the OC Picker Menu is shown. In OC 0.6.2 the DummyPowerManagement has been moved to Kernel-> Emulate, but it seems that OpenCore Configurator 2.15.00 doesn't remove the old entry located in Kernel-> Quirks-> DummyPowerManagement. Cleaning up the entry fixes the error message.
View attachment 490918
Did you see the red NOTE at the very top of the guide you quoted?

Last edited:
The Pulse OC Lite does not contain a DVI port, which means it does not follow the AMD Reference exactly. This may or may not cause any problem (I don't know). However, the safe choice is the standard Pulse:

@CaseySJ Hello again! :)
I've purchased RX580 Pulse, re-created install USB using the instruction from the post#1, but faced panic during running the installer - it's in the screenshot attached. What do I need to change in the config or EFI folder to make it work?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 75
  • EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 20.53.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 20.53.25.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 83
Back