Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
I read through a lot of the 2635 pages in order to make my Intel NUC7BNH work with Apple Thunderbolt Display.
Tried everything you suggested to @NCMacGuy (and more).
I'm very interested in making hot-plug (and Thunderbolt in general) functional on this platform.
Currently I'm using OpenCore 0.6.1 combined with SSDT and AML files.
Thunderbolt with my system is hit and miss... If I boot with display connected, it will recognize devices on the bus about 30% of the times... Sometimes straight after cold boot, sometimes after hot boot, sometimes only after booting to Windows.
If I disconnect and reconnect the display, it never recognizes the devices on the thunderbolt bus (network, USB and audio on the display)
The display itself works pretty consistently though (I guess it's because it fails back to DisplayPort)
I'm using TbTForcePower.afi as well, since it forces the power on the bus and improves the overall success ratio.
I'd love your help in making it work - I'd be happy with just consistent thunderbolt device discovery on cold/hot boot (since I don't really unplug the NUC from the display).
I'm attaching my OpenCore ACPI + config.plist + original DSDT
Thanks in advance!
The Apple Thunderbolt Display is a very problematic device on Hackintosh. Most people are content with using it only as a monitor and not worrying about the on-board devices. Unfortunately we are not aware of any solution to the problems you described. Because that monitor is a Thunderbolt 1 device, it presents extra problems on a Hackintosh. So for this specific monitor it is better to either (a) use the monitor as a display devices only or (b) try connecting it through a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD. Option (b) is a bit pricey, however.

As mentioned yesterday, in nearly all cases the problems we see with Thunderbolt behavior are what they are. Some devices and some motherboards do not work together as reliably as others.

Let's try a very different approach using OpenCore instead of Clover. Please do the following exactly as stated:
  • Insert your USB install disk into a working Mac or Hack.
  • Mount the EFI partition of the USB install disk.
  • Inside the EFI partition you will find a folder at the top level that is also called EFI
  • Rename this folder to EFI-OLD
  • Download and decompress the attached ZIP file. You will see a folder called OC-061-vitilius
  • Copy this folder into the EFI partition of the USB install disk.
  • On the USB install disk, rename the OC-061-vitilius folder to EFI
  • Now the USB flash disk will have 2 folders at the top level:
    • EFI-OLD (this is the Clover boot loader)
    • EFI (this is the OpenCore boot loader)
Now eject the USB flash disk and insert it into the Hackintosh.
  • Boot the Hackintosh and press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu.
  • Select the USB flash disk.
  • Now the OpenCore Picker GUI will appear.
  • You should see an option to Install macOS Mojave.
  • Choose that option.
  • Does it freeze or does the macOS installer start properly?
  • If macOS installer starts properly, you may continue the installation but DO NOT DO THE POST-INSTALL PROCEDURE.
    • When the basic installation is done, stop and let me know. I will provide a new post-install procedure at that time.
Thanks! I will try and let you know how it went

The Apple Thunderbolt Display is a very problematic device on Hackintosh. Most people are content with using it only as a monitor and not worrying about the on-board devices. Unfortunately we are not aware of any solution to the problems you described. Because that monitor is a Thunderbolt 1 device, it presents extra problems on a Hackintosh. So for this specific monitor it is better to either (a) use the monitor as a display devices only or (b) try connecting it through a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD. Option (b) is a bit pricey, however.

As mentioned yesterday, in nearly all cases the problems we see with Thunderbolt behavior are what they are. Some devices and some motherboards do not work together as reliably as others.
Well, the display is actually Thunderbolt2 and I'm using it via Apple Thunderbolt3->Thunderbolt2 adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter). When it works, it's rock solid... But it might take a few reboots until it's recognized. Looks like there's some race condition during the boot process.

Well, the display is actually Thunderbolt2 and I'm using it via Apple Thunderbolt3->Thunderbolt2 adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter). When it works, it's rock solid... But it might take a few reboots until it's recognized. Looks like there's some race condition during the boot process.
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display was first sold in July 2011.
  • The first ever Thunderbolt product was sold in February 2011.
  • Thunderbolt 2 was released in June 2013.
  • Thunderbolt 1 is simply called Thunderbolt.
  • Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 use the same connector (mini-DP).
Ergo:
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display is a Thunderbolt 1 device.

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.38.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.38.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.40.55 PM.png

• Apple Thunderbolt Display was first sold in July 2011.
  • The first ever Thunderbolt product was sold in February 2011.
  • Thunderbolt 2 was released in June 2013.
  • Thunderbolt 1 is simply called Thunderbolt.
  • Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 use the same connector (mini-DP).
Ergo:
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display is a Thunderbolt 1 device.

View attachment 490614

View attachment 490613

View attachment 490615
I was under impression it's Thunderbolt 2, but I was wrong :)
I have additional Thunderbolt 3 hardware that I can test it with (CalDigit TS3 docking Station), and perhaps I can source some additional TB3 devices from my work place.
Where should I start? What's your recommendation on troubleshooting this?

Thanks! I will try and let you know how it went
Very good. I just fixed an error and uploaded a new version of the ZIP in the same previous post.

I was under impression it's Thunderbolt 2, but I was wrong :)
I have additional Thunderbolt 3 hardware that I can test it with (CalDigit TS3 docking Station), and perhaps I can source some additional TB3 devices from my work place.
Where should I start? What's your recommendation on troubleshooting this?
It is best to characterize the performance of Thunderbolt on your NUC with Thunderbolt 3 devices. Test:
  • Connectivity on cold boot
  • Connectivity on warm boot
  • Connectivity on hot plug
  • Connectivity on wake-from-sleep
On the Designare Z390 with flashed NVM 33, all of the above work well with Thunderbolt 3 devices.

We had to take my Z490 Vision D build and use it elsewhere, so I grabbed my i7-9700K cpu and built a new system. I started with BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX case, a new Gigabyte Designare Z390 MB, and a Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 1TB.
I used OC to boot and reused my 2 Samsung EVO drives and my Radeon VII. Working great and my Fenvi FV-T919 is working great. Thanks so much for both the Z390 and Z490 build posts as I gleaned from them to have the working system.

Hi Macak, Would you mind helping me understand what you did to get your Radeon VII stable. Are you in Catalina or Mojave?

I am in Mojove and my Radeon VII is doing strange mouse drags and then crashing. I have the same MB as you and a similar setup just with a 8700k.

May I ask your process for installation or updating? Are you on Clover or OpenCore?

Thank you so much!!!

Back