Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The ribbon connector I received has 8 pins on the black connector at the opposite end from the clip itself. Hence, it has 8 wires and a black connector with 8 pins. If yours has 10 pins, then the extra two can be ignored. I believe you've already identified the correct 8 pins.

The extra board (i.e. the "outboard") is optional. If it helps it can be used. It's included in the package just in case someone needs it.

Awesome. Well, I think it is all set hardware-wise. :)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

so far no luck. Could be because I had to use an adapter from USB-A to USB-C. I didn’t plan on using any hub, but I tried that as well, just to check if the CH341A works. No red light, and no blue light either.

Edit:
The CH341A does work, however. Ironic enough, we tested it plugging it to a Raspberry Pi. Blue Light shows. Just to confirm that it isn’t broken.

Last edited:
If you’re using Clover, please uncheck “Fix Shutdown” in the ACPI page of Clover Configurator.
Thank you Casey,

As I mentioned, I am using OC not Clover. Any suggestions for OC?

so far no luck. Could be because I had to use an adapter from USB-A to USB-C. I didn’t plan on using any hub, but I tried that as well, just to check if the CH341A works. No red light, and no blue light either.

Edit:
The CH341A does work, however. Ironic enough, we tested it plugging it to a Raspberry Pi. Blue Light shows. Just to confirm that it isn’t broken.
The blue light means that the jumpers are in the wrong position. The RED light must illuminate.

Thank you Casey,

As I mentioned, I am using OC not Clover. Any suggestions for OC?
Even the suggestion for Clover was not a guaranteed solution, but just something to try. It does not seem like this is a significant problem. Specifically, if we see lower resolution at the login screen, but it changes to the correct higher resolution after login, that actually happens to many of us.

Even the suggestion for Clover was not a guaranteed solution, but just something to try. It does not seem like this is a significant problem. Specifically, if we see lower resolution at the login screen, but it changes to the correct higher resolution after login, that actually happens to many of us.

And it happens on Real Macs also honestly, I prefer the larger login screen resolution.

The blue light means that the jumpers are in the wrong position. The RED light must illuminate.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

SUCCESS!

Yippy-kaa-yayyy!

Today, I can sleep happy.

Thank you for helping me out @CaseySJ.

So basically the SPI flasher doesn't work with a regular tiny tip adapter from USB-A to USB-C. I had to go find an older MacBook. I called in with the app called "Be My Eyes", and asked a person to help me know if there was any light on the SPI flashing device. As my assistant couldn't help me today. VoiceOver worked quite well with the CLI, but overall it was just copy pasting.

I recall PJALM and SJ_Underwaters did some testing on ThunderBolt. IIRC, PJALM said one could flash Apple TB fw, but not many would do it. hehe But here we are, doing it. Back then, it was TB1/TB2 days.

Last edited:
SUCCESS!

Yippy-kaa-yayyy!

Today, I can sleep happy.

Thank you for helping me out @CaseySJ.

So basically the SPI flasher doesn't work with a regular tiny tip adapter from USB-A to USB-C. I had to go find an older MacBook. I called in with the app called "Be My Eyes", and asked a person to help me know if there was any light on the SPI flashing device. As my assistant couldn't help me today. VoiceOver worked quite well with the CLI, but overall it was just copy pasting.

I recall PJALM and SJ_Underwaters did some testing on ThunderBolt. IIRC, PJALM said one could flash Apple TB fw, but not many would do it. hehe But here we are, doing it. Back then, it was TB1/TB2 days.
Wonderful — congratulations and welcome to the Society of Mad Scientists! Anyone who accomplishes this task is automatically inducted. :)

Have you customized the Thunderbolt DROM?

Wonderful — congratulations and welcome to the Society of Mad Scientists! Anyone who accomplishes this task is automatically inducted. :)

Have you customized the Thunderbolt DROM?

I'm reading about it right now. :D

Back