Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ,

Just my 2 cents: I think we should let the user know that we should avoid Thunderbolt display as much as possible.
The reasons are simple: there are way too many good monitors out there, why give yourself trouble? Just use DP/HDMI and we are good to go.
For Audio folks, sure, we can't get around TB3 for UAD stuff but I believe we see no issues with Z390 or other flashed/non-flashed card/board. At the end of the day, it's Hackintosh and people should have the right expectation.
So that folks like you can focus on the 'gold build' that benefits most people.

Again, just my 2 cents.

I agree with this. I always wondered why someone would choose to go with a monitor that is specifically for Apple computers. I would completely understand it if someone got a real Mac using such monitor, and a hackintosh.

Though I must say, I've heard from many people. The new expensive Apple monitor is full of specs for a professional. Perhaps the only one in the market to have that much to offer to a professional. I actually thought that monitor even offered over 60hz, but I googled it and it didn't. Yet it still got a lot to offer, if someone needs it all. I guess if Apple ever releases promotion for MacOS it needs to be hardware and software implemented.

Maybe it is the alluring nature Apple brings out after every product release, even for peripherals, such as monitors. The nature of how hackintosh is, and how people want it to be as good as a real Mac or Better. It just makes someone want to plug in or use anything and everything Apple offers, and more. So far with hackintoshing, we have already gone a bit away from Apple's line of idea, to be able to have some modularity. Even the new Mac Pro 7,1 isn't as modular as a hackintosh so far. When it comes to stability of MacOS running with third-party hardware, that is another question, and a whole different dimension, with a plethora of arguments to deal with, opinions and biased experiences.

So I guess it is likely the alluring nature of Apple, haha.

But what do I know. I own two monitors, and I don't even use them. If I do, it is only to show someone something.

But this is quite interesting. Sorry for digressing, this made me think a lot. hehe. :)

change from:
This tool will copy and past SMBIOS data from your uploaded OpenCore or Clover config.plist file to selected OC config.plist!

to:
This tool will copy and paste SMBIOS data from your uploaded OpenCore or Clover config.plist file to selected OC config.plist!

:)

change from:
This tool will copy and past SMBIOS data from your uploaded OpenCore or Clover config.plist file to selected OC config.plist!

to:
This tool will copy and paste SMBIOS data from your uploaded OpenCore or Clover config.plist file to selected OC config.plist!

:)
oups...
fixed!

Hi @CaseySJ,

The reasons are simple: there are way too many good monitors out there, why give yourself trouble? Just use DP/HDMI and we are good to go.

I think that is not true. The time I bought the Ultrafine 5k (and I think even now) there is really nothing on the market if you want high pixel density. Most screens are some 4k 32" gaming screens. The price for the 5k is really good for what it has to offer.

I think that is not true. The time I bought the Ultrafine 5k (and I think even now) there is really nothing on the market if you want high pixel density. Most screens are some 4k 32" gaming screens. The price for the 5k is really good for what it has to offer.
I would agree. The LG UltraFine 5K not only has higher pixel density, but also contains:
  • Speakers
  • Microphone
  • Webcam
  • USB hub
  • Ability to charge connected laptop computer at the same time, all over a single cable
These are incredibly useful features. A built-in webcam in today's work-from-home environment is part of the reason these monitors were sold out for quite a while.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Is there a possibility for combining both Thunderbolt SSDT with RP05 and RP21 as I am trying to use two Thunderbolt card in my system and it seems working. I have correctly implemented RP05 SSDT and Thunderbolt hot-plug works fine.
For RP21 SSDT isn't implemented, and, if loaded in separate SSDT file, then it loads. But, when connect Thunderbolt devices to the second card, then system will freeze.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 18.21.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 18.21.18.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 50
I would agree. The LG UltraFine 5K not only has higher pixel density, but also contains

Preach! If there was a comparable monitor that did offer the same features without Thunderbolt (using DP1.4 + USB) like the old Apple Cinema Display I would have gotten that one.

I would agree. The LG UltraFine 5K not only has higher pixel density, but also contains:
  • Speakers
  • Microphone
  • Webcam
  • USB hub
  • Ability to charge connected laptop computer at the same time, all over a single cable
These are incredibly useful features. A built-in webcam in today's work-from-home environment is part of the reason these monitors were sold out for quite a while.

The integration with macOS was a big sell on me getting mine. I wanted the native sound and brightness controls without workarounds, and it was a high quality display.

I also now have a built in webcam that is better than my 2012 iMac. I tried a Logitech BRIO 4K before but it seemed to work badly on macOS, both real and Hackintosh.

I wire my Magic Keyboard 2 in back, can charge my Magic Mouse 2, and still have a port for my iPhone. Also, it matches the look of the rest of my components well.

What's also nice is I can use the disable USB wake methods from your guide but keep my keyboard plugged into the monitor and one key wake still works, so if I had one of those CPU coolers that cause sleep/wake issues due to USB, I can fix it that way without losing one key wake.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Is there a possibility for combining both Thunderbolt SSDT with RP05 and RP21 as I am trying to use two Thunderbolt card in my system and it seems working. I have correctly implemented RP05 SSDT and Thunderbolt hot-plug works fine.
For RP21 SSDT isn't implemented, and, if loaded in separate SSDT file, then it loads. But, when connect Thunderbolt devices to the second card, then system will freeze.
Not sure I understand the question. Also please note that when there are two or more Thunderbolt controllers in the system, then each one should be given a different Bus ID. The easiest way to do this is by using HackinDROM.

Create one SSDT for each Thunderbolt controller. Use the Customize and Compile icon to set RP21, change Bus ID, and assign unique ID. Then download the .aml file using one of the "disk" icons (see 2nd screenshot).

Please experiment with HackinDROM and let us know if you still need assistance.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.27.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.27.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.13.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.14.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.14.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.29.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Back