Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello all, its crazy how active this thread is still and I really appreciate all the people working on it. I dont normally edit video for work but I have a project that I need to pull up in premiere and whenever i open premiere the computer hard crashes and needs to be restarted. I dont remember if my build is on my sig but its catalina 10.15.6 9700k z390 designare, still holding out for navi, integrated gpu for the time being, not sure if its related but sleep doesnt seem to be working

Hello all, its crazy how active this thread is still and I really appreciate all the people working on it. I dont normally edit video for work but I have a project that I need to pull up in premiere and whenever i open premiere the computer hard crashes and needs to be restarted. I dont remember if my build is on my sig but its catalina 10.15.6 9700k z390 designare, still holding out for navi, integrated gpu for the time being, not sure if its related but sleep doesnt seem to be working
This is one of the many problems we face with iGPU, which is why its use is discouraged except for (a) installation and (b) troubleshooting purposes.

Bought today an MSI MEG Z490i Unify which also has a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Chip.
Anyone interested in modifying the firmware ? @CaseySJ @Elias64Fr
Hey, just wondering if you ever made any progress with this board and thunderbolt. I just got it and could use some help. Cant get the lg 5k to work in Mac, but it does in windows. Did you need to update the firmware or use any ssdt? thanks

A little demo of CopyConfig

ADDED:
SMBIOS data is visible after clicking on Generate.
a link to Apple to check if your Serial Number is Invalid, if not click again to Generate.
download SMBIOS data in .txt to save in safer place.
Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 16.06.07.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Hi Casey,

I think I have identified an issue that might be the cause of my LogIn screen resolution and possibly a few other little bugs. When I shut down my computer from either MacOS or Windows10, more times than not, it seems to store something in memory / or not clear memory / (Or something similar). What I have noticed is:

Some shutdowns will keep some of the MB Led's illuminated. If I boot the computer back up and into MacOS, the login screen resolution will be wrong.

If I shutdown / power off the computer and all MB LED's are off then most of the time it will boot back up and into MacOS with the correct resolution.

shutdown / power off the computer and MB LED's are still illumined / holding power, If I switch power off to the power supply for 10 seconds or so then power back on. The computer will boot perfect and with the correct login screen resolution.

The above scenarios also correct / affect my VERY SLOW Bios Boot Screen issues. Sometimes my BIOS boot screen will sit idle for up to a minute before going to the OC Picker Menu. This is fixed if I switch power off then back on to my power supply.

This is what makes me think its something that is being stored or not cleared from memory. The slow boot screen issue has only started since making my system Dual Boot with MacOS + Windows10 and changing from Clover to OC.

1 other small issue since changing to Dual Boot. My BIOS Clock appears to reset on every reboot or power off of the computer. I even replaced the CMOS battery and cleared my CMOS then reset all my BIOS settings for MacOS and still the same issue. The BIOS clock is also affecting the time in Windows10. I chose the option to automatically synchronise the clock in Windows and it seems to still not work.

Any ideas on what this could be as these issues all appear to be related to either the BIOS / CMOS or something with Memory / NVRAM?

This is one of the many problems we face with iGPU, which is why its use is discouraged except for (a) installation and (b) troubleshooting purposes.

Can I get some help with my build? I'm really trying to get it working but I seem to be breaking one thing trying to fix another.
Adding DSDT patches in Clover, adding devices usually ends up in panics and crashes.

Can use the thunderbolt for perhaps a thunderbolt drive, with an adapter to firewire?
Graphics acceleration with the Intel UHD 630? Output HDMI

Gigabyte Designare Z390
i5 - 9400

Nothing extra really 1TB SSD 1TB HDD.

Have so far High Sierra base installed.

Would even prefer if I can get Sierra working on it.

Thanks

Can I get some help with my build? I'm really trying to get it working but I seem to be breaking one thing trying to fix another.
Adding DSDT patches in Clover, adding devices usually ends up in panics and crashes.

Can use the thunderbolt for perhaps a thunderbolt drive, with an adapter to firewire?
Graphics acceleration with the Intel UHD 630? Output HDMI

Gigabyte Designare Z390
i5 - 9400

Nothing extra really 1TB SSD 1TB HDD.

Have so far High Sierra base installed.

Would even prefer if I can get Sierra working on it.

Thanks

Hi there. What model are you using for the High Sierra build?

I'm not sure, but I think that in order to use Sierra or High Sierra, you may have a "cutoff mode" in regard to a particular system configuration/model ID –the minimum OS that the computer shipped with, etc. But I wonder if things can be spoofed and patched so that we can use more recent hardware to run an older OS.
@CaseySJ –Is there a way to go way back, spoof a CPU and run Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard on the Z390 build? What about OS 9.1.1 or 8.6?

Last edited:
Hi there. What model are you using for the High Sierra build?

I'm not sure, but I think that in order to use Sierra or High Sierra, you may have a "cutoff mode" in regard to a particular system configuration/model ID –the minimum OS that the computer shipped with, etc. But I wonder if things can be spoofed and patched so that we can use more recent hardware to run an older OS.
@CaseySJ –Is there a way to go way back, spoof a CPU and run Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard on the Z390 build? What about OS 9.1.1 or 8.6?

I tried iMac18,1, iMac14,2 have yet to try MacMini8,1

Both Mojave and HS so far.

Ideally I would've liked 10.11 El Capitan but wasn't sure I'd get to use the Thunderbold / USB 3.1 Hardware.

Last edited:
Back