Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My OWC Thunderbolt 10Gbe works extremely well with my Supermicro FreeNAS NAS. These can be found for around 800 euros second hand without the drives. This includes 160MB of RAM cache that makes your machine even faster once it has read a file. Best investment I ever made. I actually bought two that replicate all data every hour. For pro work I would avoid the Qnap. The ZFS data with dual power supply of the Supermicro make it extremely reliable.

Hi there, @mysticmerlin
Which model/version of the Supermicro are you using and which CPU? Are you using this with Pro Tools as a record/playback media NAS drive?

Hi there, @mysticmerlin
Which model/version of the Supermicro are you using and which CPU? Are you using this with Pro Tools as a record/playback media NAS drive?
Supermicro CSE826 with dual Xeon 2650. 7 pro tools are connected in SMB to this FreeNAS with ProRes videos. My only issue is no spotlight.

Last edited:
Hello, newbie here
I just assembled my first hackintosh, with Gigabyte Designare Z390, i9 and Sapphire Radeon x580. Everything is working very well. I just have two issues.

The first problem is, when I try to open big files from an internal storage HDD like the photo library, the hackintosh reboots. It is weird because it is only with opening (not copying) big files.

The second one is, when system wakes from sleep, I got the USB Devices disabled.... and sometimes I have to unplug the Bluetooth USB to make it work again

Hope someone could help me, thanks!

Device / Model Thunderbolt Firmware File Name Comment

Hi @CaseySJ,

I am using AsRock x570 phantom gaming-itx with the on-board TB3 JHL7340 chips (NVM50). I would like to know the procedure of making patched .bin file or could I just use the one from Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 add-in-card? Or I can also send the .bin firmware to you after I received SOP8 clamp! Thank you for your effort!

The SPI Flash on this board is W25Q80DVSSIG

Edit:
The TB device I want to connect is Thunderbolt Display (TB1), and it works by chance in Windows 10 (plug and unplug multiple times to avoid flickering, USB and ethernet works oob though). After viewing some comments, I think it will be more stable if the patched firmware is applied (due to the lack of legacy mode support in the titan ridge chips).

Attachments

• 20200917_122310.jpg
    20200917_122310.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
** Mini-Guide: Enable Native NVRAM in Clover **

Excellent work!!! Thank you. I have followed the guide except for unlocking MSR. Everything works fine and NVRAM is active. Thank you again.

On the other hand, to add in message #1 to the list of hardware that works in Catalina OOTB, I use the FENVI T-919 card with native Apple WIFI and Bluetooth.

Last edited:
** Mini-Guide: Enable Native NVRAM in Clover **
Please do NOT quote this guide in its entirely. Post a link instead.

@CaseySJ

Is this option possible for those using the O.C. that you have made available?

When I first install the drive, it booted up fine with no problem right away. Used it for a day before I had to boot into windows for some work. It was working fine there. I booted back into MacOS and it does not show up anymore. I booted into my backup MacOS drive, it recognized the drive for an instant in disk utility, and then it disappeared.

This is such a strange error. Now after at least a dozen reboot, I just don't see the drive again in MacOS no matter how long I waited. Windows still shows and run the drive no problem.
Do you have another large HDD that you can format as APFS and connect to an available SATA port? I'm wondering if macOS has an issue with large ExFAT drives.

Hello, newbie here
I just assembled my first hackintosh, with Gigabyte Designare Z390, i9 and Sapphire Radeon x580. Everything is working very well. I just have two issues.

The first problem is, when I try to open big files from an internal storage HDD like the photo library, the hackintosh reboots. It is weird because it is only with opening (not copying) big files.
Some questions:
  • Did you use Migration Assistant to migrate files and applications from a previous Mac or Hack?
  • If the Photos library is new, it should be a very small file. If the library is large, it indicates a previous Photos library was copied. So it may be necessary to rebuild the Photos library. Try this:
The second one is, when system wakes from sleep, I got the USB Devices disabled.... and sometimes I have to unplug the Bluetooth USB to make it work again
  • Are you using a Fenvi WiFi/BT card or a USB Bluetooth dongle?
  • Something else to try: In BIOS Setup, disable XMP Memory Profile 1 and set Memory Multiplier manually to 29.33. This will set memory clocks to 2933MHz and should reconnect USB devices on wake from sleep.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I am using AsRock x570 phantom gaming-itx with the on-board TB3 JHL7340 chips (NVM50). I would like to know the procedure of making patched .bin file or could I just use the one from Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 add-in-card? Or I can also send the .bin firmware to you after I received SOP8 clamp! Thank you for your effort!

The SPI Flash on this board is W25Q80DVSSIG

Edit:
The TB device I want to connect is Thunderbolt Display (TB1), and it works by chance in Windows 10 (plug and unplug multiple times to avoid flickering, USB and ethernet works oob though). After viewing some comments, I think it will be more stable if the patched firmware is applied (due to the lack of legacy mode support in the titan ridge chips).
Hello @civita,

Feel free to post the Thunderbolt firmware from ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-itx. I can modify it, but keep in mind that it will not be perfect. There will be issues that you will find, and it will be necessary to accommodate those issues (i.e. to work around them).

By the way I am currently setting up a brand new Gigabyte B550 Vision D with Ryzen 7 3700X. It comes with Titan Ridge on-board, running NVM 56. I've already flashed the firmware. Thunderbolt hot-plug works very well, but two issues on this particular motherboard:
  • USB-C devices need to be connected prior to boot
  • Thunderbolt devices only seem to connect when hot-plugged (will try some experiments to see if this can be fixed)
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.33.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.32.24 PM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Is this option possible for those using the O.C. that you have made available?
If you're using OpenCore from the mini-guide in this thread, then Native NVRAM is already enabled because the procedure in that guide mandates it.

Reactions: Rag
Back