Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Oh that's unfortunate. I use CyberPower and APS uninterruptible power supplies on all of my systems. Simply cannot trust the power grid around here...
Does that mean there's nothing I can do except getting a new video card?

Does that mean there's nothing I can do except getting a new video card?
You can also try using the on-board HDMI port or the two on-board Thunderbolt ports to connect your monitor. In this case we would need to do the following:
  • Try a different video cable. Always preferable to use a certified HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2/1.4 cable.
  • If that does not help, then we could do the following:
    • Set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and add HDMI black screen patches. It's much easier to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or a USB-C to HDMI cable instead of HDMI-to-HDMI.
      • If you want to try this, I can modify your config.plist (but remove serial number from SMBIOS section before sending).
    • In BIOS, we would set Initial Display Output to IGFX.
    • We would physically remove the AMD GPU.
    • Now we can check if graphics look normal.
    • If so, then AMD GPU is bad.

Hello all,

New user here! After many years of owning a Mac Pro and several iMacs I have now for the first time assembled a customac for my work as a filmmaker. Thank you all for all these resources and making it possible to enjoy the Mac experience without being stuck to Apple's wisdom.

I've followed CaseySJ's build here pretty thoroughly, though I only discovered this tutorial after the initial installation of my system. Recreating the pre-installation changes to config.plist etc. before continuing the guide at the post installation part seemed to work for the most part.

I've got everything working nicely, except for sleep mode. I'm working through the available solutions on the consolidated sleeping aids page and will make a new thread in case I still need help.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Hi Casey,

I was trying to update OC 0.6.0 to 0.6.1 and faced with error when selected EFI boot from usb (i did F12 to select OpenCore before that).
"OCB: StartImage failed - Already started"
Halting on critical error"

I was working fine with Catalina 10.15.6 and OC 0.6.0, I also used latest OC Configurator to enter 3 serial numbers. Please advice what I should do. Thanks!

Hello all,

New user here! After many years of owning a Mac Pro and several iMacs I have now for the first time assembled a customac for my work as a filmmaker. Thank you all for all these resources and making it possible to enjoy the Mac experience without being stuck to Apple's wisdom.

I've followed CaseySJ's build here pretty thoroughly, though I only discovered this tutorial after the initial installation of my system. Recreating the pre-installation changes to config.plist etc. before continuing the guide at the post installation part seemed to work for the most part.

I've got everything working nicely, except for sleep mode. I'm working through the available solutions on the consolidated sleeping aids page and will make a new thread in case I still need help.

Thank you again!
Hello @tvdhoff,

Glad to hear it! Regarding sleep, you're doing the right thing. It's generally a process of elimination, but some devices are more likely to interfere than others. Smart power supplies and CPU coolers, for example (those with USB connections), are particularly notorious for causing acute insomnia in both machine and owner.

Any tips to run Catalina on NVMe SSD and Windows on the SATA?
That's my current setup, and I don't want to move macOS (my main work OS) into the slower disk.

I managed to get it installed, but I fear Windows will break my EFI...
It's always good to do these two things in any dual or triple or multiple boot system:
  • Make bootable backup of macOS SSD
  • Copy macOS EFI to a USB flash disk (to allow system to boot from USB flash disk if main EFI folder gets corrupted by other operating systems)
    • We do this by formatting the USB flash disk in Disk Utility:
      • Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled)
      • Name = (any suitable name) --> example: macOS Boot
      • Scheme = GUID Partition Map
    • Then mount EFI partition of USB flash disk and macOS SSD.
    • And copy EFI folder from macOS SSD to EFI partition of USB flash disk.

Hi Casey,

I was trying to update OC 0.6.0 to 0.6.1 and faced with error when selected EFI boot from usb (i did F12 to select OpenCore before that).
"OCB: StartImage failed - Already started"
Halting on critical error"

I was working fine with Catalina 10.15.6 and OC 0.6.0, I also used latest OC Configurator to enter 3 serial numbers. Please advice what I should do. Thanks!
Please try the following:
  • At OpenCore Picker, press <spacebar> and choose "Reset NVRAM"
  • When system reboots, press DEL to enter BIOS Setup
  • In the BOOT section of BIOS, select the macOS SSD as the first Boot Priority
    • "OpenCore" might be the first boot priority currently, so change it anyway to the macOS SSD
  • Save and exit from BIOS
  • At the OpenCore Picker, try booting macOS again.

Please try the following:
  • At OpenCore Picker, press <spacebar> and choose "Reset NVRAM"
  • When system reboots, press DEL to enter BIOS Setup
  • In the BOOT section of BIOS, select the macOS SSD as the first Boot Priority
    • "OpenCore" might be the first boot priority currently, so change it anyway to the macOS SSD
  • Save and exit from BIOS
  • At the OpenCore Picker, try booting macOS again.
Thanks for a quick reply as always Casey, it works well. Another quick question, i use external Sabrent which housing Samsung SSD via USB 3.0 port (HH07/SS07 - 4 port area), when i am in Catalina, i see a copy with full 3.0 speed, however, i only see 2.0 speed in Windows 10 (same port), any ideas?

Thanks for a quick reply as always Casey, it works well. Another quick question, i use external Sabrent which housing Samsung SSD via USB 3.0 port (HH07/SS07 - 4 port area), when i am in Catalina, i see a copy with full 3.0 speed, however, i only see 2.0 speed in Windows 10 (same port), any ideas?
That's how it gets the name Windoze! :)

Joking aside, this thread is primarily about macOS and somewhat limited to multi-boot situations. The problem you're seeing in Windows can be reported to Sabrent. But try different things first such as ejecting and reconnecting the Sabrent drive.

Back