Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No luck, I tried with 2 different manufacturer gpus. Reset cmos, set back everything within the bios from the guide
Please try this:
  • Connect monitor to on-board HDMI port and BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> IGFX.
  • Keep the AMD RX 580 installed in Slot 1, but do not connect any video cables.
  • Does the system boot? Do you see the BIOS splash screen?

Well, SSP1 and 2 are working with USBInjectAll and SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml.

So, it seems that with the USBPorts.kext kindly donated by @FormerUser-594785, SSP1 and 2 aren't correctly mapped.

Attached is modified USBPorts.kext with SSP1 and 2 mapped. Please note that I've enabled HS01 (for USB1.1/2 support on the USB-C front connector) and removed HS03 as I only plug USB 3.1 gen 2 device on this red rear port.
My bad, user error somewhere. It works with the original USBPorts.kext... I guess it doesn't work anymore because I have excluded HS03 from my map ('cause TB3 USB-C appears at HS03 and not SSP1 with the USB kext in IORegistryExplorer... weird!).

You were right, sorry!
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-08 à 15.20.25.png

My bad, user error somewhere. It works with the original USBPorts.kext... I guess it doesn't work anymore because I have excluded HS03 from my map ('cause TB3 USB-C appears at HS03 and not SSP1 with the USB kext in IORegistryExplorer... weird!).

You were right, sorry!View attachment 487363
Some comments:
  • Some Thunderbolt SSDTs or USBPort kexts might create HS03/HS04 devices under the Thunderbolt USB root hub (XHC5 in this particular case).
  • However, this is not correct because the Z390 Designare has a USB Companion Controller that manages USB 2 protocol over the two Thunderbolt ports.
  • In other words:
    • There are 2 USB controllers on the motherboard: (a) XHC controller in the PCH chipset, and (b) XHC5 controller in the Titan Ridge chipset.
    • Although the XHC5 controller can manage both USB 2 and USB 3 traffic over Thunderbolt ports, Gigabyte has modified the design (this is common) so that USB 2 traffic over Thunderbolt ports is managed by XHC (the PCH chipset).
    • Hence, the XHC controller acts as a "Companion Controller" for the Thunderbolt ports.
  • SSP1 and SSP2 are managed by XHC5 for USB 3 traffic
  • HS08 and HS13 are the "companion" ports that manage USB 2 traffic over Thunderbolt
  • HS08 and HS13 are part of XHC (not XHC5)
  • So the USB port definition for XHC5 should contain only SSP1 and SSP2
  • And the USB port definition for XHC should include HS08 and HS13

Please try this:
  • Connect monitor to on-board HDMI port and BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> IGFX.
  • Keep the AMD RX 580 installed in Slot 1, but do not connect any video cables.
  • Does the system boot? Do you see the BIOS splash screen?
Yes, I can also enter the os

Yes, I can also enter the os
Now find another video cable and connect it to the AMD GPU and then to another available port on the monitor. In other words, while macOS is running, hot-connect another cable:
  • You have one HDMI cable already connected between on-board HDMI port and monitor.
  • Connect another video cable between the AMD GPU and the same monitor (or a different monitor).
If connecting two video cables to the same monitor, just change the monitor input -- flip back and forth between the two inputs. Are both inputs working?

If connecting two monitors, do both monitors show the desktop?

hi losinka, it's been a while but i still have the "shutdown problem" with my Z170X-UD5 TH board. could you provide me your OpenCore - ACPI folder and config.plist?
Sorry, I changed my build.

Now find another video cable and connect it to the AMD GPU and then to another available port on the monitor. In other words, while macOS is running, hot-connect another cable:
  • You have one HDMI cable already connected between on-board HDMI port and monitor.
  • Connect another video cable between the AMD GPU and the same monitor (or a different monitor).
If connecting two video cables to the same monitor, just change the monitor input -- flip back and forth between the two inputs. Are both inputs working?

If connecting two monitors, do both monitors show the desktop?
Worked on windows as separate monitor. Now when booting osx with just onboard cable I get this @CaseySJ

Attachments

• 1255CBD0-5B72-430D-8BB7-EBD2901DED29.jpeg
    1255CBD0-5B72-430D-8BB7-EBD2901DED29.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Another « interesting » discovery Master Casey:

If I plug the T5 or the USB-C enclosure on TB3 port while MacOS is already booted, the drives mounts correctly. However, after a restart, they do not mount anymore. They have to be unplugged/plugged again to be recognized.

If the drives are already attached before power up on the TB3 ports, they mount correctly though...

This behavior appears with any TB3 SSDT’s and with any USB mapping method (USBPorts.kext or SSDT based).

Normal or not for the USB part of the Titan Ridge controller?

Anyone else noticed this behavior with USB-C drives and TB3 ports?

I guess I’m in the minority using TB3 ports to test USB-C compatibility...

To resume: warm boot, USB-C drives disappear. Cold boot, it’s ok.

Last edited:
I was about to delete your post about X570-based AMD Hackintosh, but the rules have changed in your favor! I suppose I have no excuse now... Will look at your attachments shortly. :)

P.S. My 12-core 24-thread AMD Ryzen Hackintosh:
View attachment 487353

What are your Geekbench scores like on this AMD build? Can't imagine they come close to something like an i9...

Another « interesting » discovery Master Casey:

If I plug the T5 or the USB-C enclosure on TB3 port while MacOS is already booted, the drives mounts correctly. However, after a restart, they do not mount anymore. They have to be unplugged/plugged again to be recognized.

If the drives are already attached before power up on the TB3 ports, they mount correctly though...

This behavior appears with any TB3 SSDT’s and with any USB mapping method (USBPorts.kext or SSDT based).

Normal or not for the USB part of the Titan Ridge controller?

Anyone else noticed this behavior with USB-C drives and TB3 ports?

I guess I’m in the minority using TB3 ports to test USB-C compatibility...

To resume: warm boot, USB-C drives disappear. Cold boot, it’s ok.
If I reboot but hit Delete to access BIOS and restart from there, it’s ok, more weirdness! Still a warm boot but going through BIOS menu!

Fortunately, drives recognized after wake up, just tested to be sure.

Back