Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ

After I flash the TB3 Firmware, I also add SSDT. So I see in 'Thunderbolt' section the speed is up to 20Gb x2;
My macbook pro is 40Gbx1, is this normal? Or I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
Hello @oreoapple,

Please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post that file.

I've switched my wifi network to 5GHz, and although I definitely need to test more, it seems it may have resolved the issue.

That's a common issue with this card, if you use a lot bluetooth set your wifi to 5ghz

Have you seen any reports on the Black Magic website or elsewhere on the Internet about the DeckLink card failing under Catalina 10.15.6?
I'm not sure if this is related, but my Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder Thunderbolt is not working well in Catalina 10.15.6 on my Hackintosh and barely works well on my Macbook Pro though I know it was working previously on my Hackintosh on Catalina earlier this year (though I'm not sure what version of Catalina I was one at the time as I haven't used it very much). It appears that none of the kexts that it installs actually get loaded according to the System Report unless I'm reading it wrongly:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 1.34.46 PM.png

I'm not sure if this is related, but my Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder Thunderbolt is not working well in Catalina 10.15.6 on my Hackintosh and barely works well on my Macbook Pro though I know it was working previously on my Hackintosh on Catalina earlier this year (though I'm not sure what version of Catalina I was one at the time as I haven't used it very much). It appears that none of the kexts that it installs actually get loaded according to the System Report unless I'm reading it wrongly:

View attachment 486425
Have you seen @taegan's post (click here) about the Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor not working in Catalina 10.15.6, but working in 10.15.1? The Blackmagic driver in your case is:
  • Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
But for @taegan the driver is:

Alright, time for some status updates, specifically interesting for @CaseySJ and @Mightymouseuk007 who originally reported an EFIClone issue.

Today I acquired a 970 Pro which I'm using as my test drive for Big Sur. I'm using the complete drive, newly formatted, to ensure that no APFS shenanigans lay undetected until later on.

First off, the install itself went swimmingly, just like the first time. This time I did not do an upgrade but a full-fresh install by creating an Install Media USB Stick. I booted from my main drive's EFI, selected the "Install Big Sur" entry and went off to the races. Everything worked fine and boot option selection was automatic, as expected (due to working NVRAM), so a completely unattended install.

The first time around I booted into the setup screen after the main installation was done and tried to migrate all my data from my existing disk. The process itself worked and I was able to access the desktop afterwards. However, after rebooting, I encountered the same issue as before where the boot would fail due to some possibly APFS-related issues.

My thinking was that migrating the data instead of upgrading would simply copy the data to the new APFS structure and hence it should be compliant and boot without issues. This is not the case. Neither a direct upgrade nor a later migration work. The only option is a fresh install without data migration.

In any case, I did eventually wind up with a working system that was capable of rebooting reliably without failing.

I then set out to test EFIClone_v2.sh to reproduce whatever issue mightmyouse was having. Turns out the script worked perfectly fine on my end, in a dry run. It found the correct EFI partitions of both the source as well as the target disk and initiated the copy. As such there might be an issue on their end instead, or there is an issue in the script in the case that mightymouse has a very unusual disk configuration or something.

If you could, @CaseySJ, since you have Big Sur up and running as well, could you give it a try? It would be good to get a third data point to see the trend that's forming. You can invoke the script via the command line directly for convenience as well.

I suspect the bootable backup issue may be more related to CCC itself not being updated to fully support Big Sur yet.
This is the note from their latest pre-release:

This means no bootable backups on Big Sur for now.

Could this problem be related to volume signing implemented in Big Sur?
When I try to add the backup source to CCC (Drive Big Sur) it is immediately changed in CCC to Big Sur Data and i get the CCC warning that only data will be backed up and it will not be bootable.

I found this article interesting:

csrutil authenticated-root disable

Particularly the closing statement
"In Catalina, making changes to the System volume isn’t something to embark on without very good reason. In Big Sur, it becomes a last resort."

Have you seen @taegan's post (click here) about the Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor not working in Catalina 10.15.6, but working in 10.15.1? The Blackmagic driver in your case is:
  • Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
But for @taegan the driver is:
Hi, Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor works with 10.15.6, I just disconnect and reconnect PCI. Works with FCPX and DVinciR. Thank you CaseySJ

• If both answers are 'yes' then begin comparing each of the following folders between the old and new versions of Clover because the Clover 5120 installer may have installed additional files that you might not have noticed:
    • Compare the CLOVER/Kexts/Other folders. Are the old and new folders identical?
    • Compare the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folders.
    • Compare the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folders.

Thanks Casey, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.
I did the comparison check, the only differences are:

- updated AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen in kexts/Other
- the OcQuirks stuff needed in drivers/UEFI, same as your micro guide
- removed the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi since it shouldn't be needed anymore

So the wake from sleep and shutdown malfuctions can only happen because of the OcQuirks, in my system.
I've so decided to remove them and put OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi back in his place.
I am now running Clover 5120 without shutdown and wake from sleep issues.

Could this problem be related to volume signing implemented in Big Sur?
When I try to add the backup source to CCC (Drive Big Sur) it is immediately changed in CCC to Big Sur Data and i get the CCC warning that only data will be backed up and it will not be bootable.

I found this article interesting:

csrutil authenticated-root disable

Particularly the closing statement
"In Catalina, making changes to the System volume isn’t something to embark on without very good reason. In Big Sur, it becomes a last resort."

It is likely related, yes. CCC will be updated (as it always is) to support new releases of macOS such as Big Sur, but it will take a while. Once CCC works properly with Big Sur, I'm fairly certain that EFIClone_v2 will work as-is, according to my testing. We're ready whenever CCC is ready.

Thank you!
Some questions:
  • Which motherboard or PCIe card was flashed? Was the Designare Z390 flashed? Or the GC-Titan Ridge?
  • When you looked at System Information --> Thunderbolt, were any Thunderbolt devices connected?
    • If yes, then please disconnect all TB devices and check the Link Speed again.

Back