Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you so much for your detail instructions, let me get started.
*** Micro-Guide: Installing Catalina using OpenCore ***
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.​

• Grab BIOS F9g from this post or F9i from this post, and flash it to the Designare Z390.
  • Download Catalina by following the screenshots in this post.
  • Create a USB install disk in two steps (USB 3 flash disk preferred):
    • Step 1:
      • Use a 16 to 32 GB flash drive.
      • Format the USB drive in Disk Utility. Select View --> Show All Devices and click the parent name of your USB drive on left sidebar. Failure to do so will be catastrophic. Then select Erase and enter:
        • Name: Catalina-USB (use exactly this name)
        • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled) --- do not use APFS here
        • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
      • Check that the USB disk has been mounted and its name is Catalina-USB
        • Open a Terminal window and type:
        • sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Catalina-USB
        • Enter your Mac password when requested.
        • This step will cause your USB install disk to be renamed to Install macOS Catalina.
    • Step 2:
      • Follow the directions in the OpenCore 0.6.8 Mini-Guide to download and configure the OpenCore EFI folder. BUT DO NOT FORMAT THE USB FLASH DISK because it has already been formatted.
        • Stop after performing Step 10 (Save the file)
      • Mount the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
      • Then copy the entire OpenCore EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
      • Now eject the USB install disk and insert it into the Designare Z390 (use a USB 3 port).
  • Configure BIOS parameters according to the screenshots in Post #1.
  • Now follow everything in Step 2 and Step 3 of this Catalina installation guide.

Last edited:
Everyone has different components in their system so we make no general promises. But on all of my systems, sleep works well. The system may perform periodic maintenance wakes. There is a Sleep Aid in the Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 for further troubleshooting.

Many of us are using 4K monitors with no issues.

Index 3 (Port 7) is HDMI. Bus ID is 4. I don't see any issue. If HDMI output works, then nothing to worry about.

Simply disable the SSDT indicated in the screenshot and reboot:
View attachment 486215

1- I have 2K 144HZ monitor which is LG 27GL850 and there is not any hiDPi option, I was able to see some resolution options. I tried Hackintool display patch but it did not help. And I found a script on internet it brings 2 hiDPi options, one is 1920x1080 at 60hz and second one is 1280x720 at 144hz. 2048x1152 at 144hz and 1920x1080 at 144 hz would be awesome for me.

2- For wifi i disabled that ssdt and kext worked. But if i plug out the ethernet cable wifi gones too. It can search wifi networks and connect them but an exclamation mark appears and no internet connection without ethernet cable plugged in. Check screenshots please. One is with ethernet cable and the other one without ethernet cable.

3- For sleep i will make more research on the page that you referred.

Attachments

• Ekran Resmi 2020-08-29 21.23.16.png
    Ekran Resmi 2020-08-29 21.23.16.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Ekran Resmi 2020-08-29 21.30.19.png
    Ekran Resmi 2020-08-29 21.30.19.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 98
2- For wifi i disabled that ssdt and kext worked. But if i plug out the ethernet cable wifi gones too. It can search wifi networks and connect them but an exclamation mark appears and no internet connection without ethernet cable plugged in. Check screenshots please. One is with ethernet cable and the other one without ethernet cable.
There are still many problems with the Intel WiFi driver. Please check the Issues page on the developer's GitHub site. Most likely this problem has previously been reported, but if not, then it should be reported to the developer.

When I tested this a couple of weeks ago, my download speed was quite low, around 50 Mbps.

There are still many problems with the Intel WiFi driver. Please check the Issues page on the developer's GitHub site. Most likely this problem has previously been reported, but if not, then it should be reported to the developer.

When I tested this a couple of weeks ago, my download speed was quite low, around 50 Mbps.

For just let to people to know here in this forum; i tried with mobile hotspot and it worked. It seems like the kext has a problem with DHCP. On my local network it can't get an IP but on mobile hotspot it works. As you said; it has a long way to go.

Is this for your GA Z97X-UD3H, or are you using a Z390?
Z390. No TB device, waiting for Quantum 2626 (already ordered) showing at Canadian supplier...

Edit: hardware profile modified, sorry!

Last edited:
If you're running Mojave, please note:
  • All Hackintosh kexts must be removed from /Library/Extensions (see Item 3 in this post).
  • Then we run Kext Utility (Mojave only) to rebuild the kernel cache.
  • In the OpenCore config.plistwe need to uncheck:
    • ACPI --> SSDT-USBW.aml
    • Kernel --> USBWakeFixup.kext
Is your comment related to moving to OC?

After having kind of blocked my machine, I managed to reset to my backup, and upgrade to Catalina using Clover and your MiniGuide. I must say there are now so many that it is a bit confusing and it's really tough to not miss a step. The content is as large as golden. You've really given a LOT to many people, so thank you.

While waiting for Catalina to install, I educated myself about OpenCore, in the hopes of moving my install from Clover to OpenCore. I couldn't find a specific guide there, but your answer rang a bell when reading the converting from Clover to OpenCore on dortania.

In case of converting from Clover to OC, using your guide and SSDT are the clean-up steps described here also mandatory?
Could one assemble a tutorial from your OC micro guides for an "easy" conversion?

Last edited:
Is your comment related to moving to OC?
Yes.
While waiting for Catalina to install, I educated myself about OpenCore, in the hopes of moving my install from Clover to OpenCore. I couldn't find a specific guide there, but your answer rang a bell when reading the converting from Clover to OpenCore on dortania.
Because the Z490 Vision D build is based only on OpenCore (Clover is currently incompatible with Z490), there is a "self-guided tour" of OpenCore here:
In case of converting from Clover to OC, using your guide and SSDT are the clean-up steps described here also mandatory?
Yes they are! If you see the guide below, you'll find those cleanup operations listed. This guide is for moving from Mojave to Catalina, but some of the early steps are required for moving to OpenCore (e.g. Step 3: removing Hackintosh kexts).
Could one assemble a tutorial from your OC micro guides for an "easy" conversion?
Instead of "converting", I've chosen to furnish complete OpenCore EFI folders that are fully configured for most situations. We only need to copy and paste our preexisting serial numbers.

I've created a new Micro-Guide for this:

Yes.

Because the Z490 Vision D build is based only on OpenCore (Clover is currently incompatible with Z490), there is a "self-guided tour" of OpenCore here:

Yes they are! If you see the guide below, you'll find those cleanup operations listed. This guide is for moving from Mojave to Catalina, but some of the early steps are required for moving to OpenCore (e.g. Step 3: removing Hackintosh kexts).

Instead of "converting", I've chosen to furnish complete OpenCore EFI folders that are fully configured for most situations. We only need to copy and paste our preexisting serial numbers.

I've created a new Micro-Guide for this:

Now I'm starting to understand why I was getting hung up while trying to move to OC following your micro guide and your EFI. Despite having followed your build to the letter soon after your first post, it seemed to simple :D.

I'm thinking a good process is to upgrade to Catalina, which does a bit of the cleaning, backup this setup, then proceed to the rest of the clean-up as per Dortania's instructions, so not only deleting kexts in/Library/Extensions, but also in /System/Library/Extensions, as well as whatever's in /etc/ mentionned here. Is that correct?

Now I'm starting to understand why I was getting hung up while trying to move to OC following your micro guide and your EFI. Despite having followed your build to the letter soon after your first post, it seemed to simple :D.

I'm thinking a good process is to upgrade to Catalina, which does a bit of the cleaning, backup this setup, then proceed to the rest of the clean-up as per Dortania's instructions, so not only deleting kexts in/Library/Extensions, but also in /System/Library/Extensions, as well as whatever's in /etc/ mentionned here. Is that correct?
Some comments:
  • We only remove our third-party Hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions
  • We never installed anything in /System/Library/Extensions, so we don't worry about that folder
  • Removing the files from /etc is also covered here (in the native NVRAM guide):

Some comments:
  • We only remove our third-party Hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions
  • We never installed anything in /System/Library/Extensions, so we don't worry about that folder
  • Removing the files from /etc is also covered here (in the native NVRAM guide):

I tripled checked, followed your guide and the NVRAM one, checked the /etc/ folder, but had nothing there.
It took me 2 days, and my system now boots on OC 0.6.0 and works as it did before, flawlessly with TB and I can hot swap my Apollo 8P with no issue.

For those coming after me, read EVERY single one of the steps and never assume because you've done it before it'll be easy.

Thank you for your help and sharing your knowledge.

Back