Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi All,

First post here, have had my hackintosh running 10.15.4 stable for a while, thanks to this forum.
I just upgraded to an USB audio interface (Arturia Audiofuse 8pre) and audio stutters in playback, often when moving my mouse.
Read quite a few posts about disabling Super I/O (serial port) but unfortunatly didn't find a Bios with the option (even F3 - and the option is written down in the manual...).

Anyone with the same problem with an USB audio interface? Any fix?

Thanks.

Hi all! A few weeks ago I posted regarding my Thunderbolt issues with my flashed Titan Ridge. I'm running Catalina with a non TB header motherboard using the DSM firmware and the header cable mod. Thunderbolt is being seen and showing full power. I did have an issue with system audio on one device but that is no longer an issue as I've gone down another route with that.

The most annoying issue is that it can take a few restarts to get the card initializing. There is a script that I'm not sure does anything. Anyway, last night I had to restart, and it took one hour 15 mins of restarts to get it going. Once its going it is fine. I've obviously got something wrong. Can someone familiar with the non TB header workaround help me get this to be more consistent?
Hi fellow Pro Tools user... I am also running a flashed Titan Ridge in a motherboard with no TB header or native support. In fact I have an Asus z370 board and am using the Gigabyte card. I followed the verse first flashing guide from here using one of the cheap USB programmers off Amazon and it has been working since day 1. I initially used the Elias NVM23 but after other users reported good results with the Designare NVM33 I flashed again to that and have not touched it in months.

With no TB header I jumped the pins on the back of the card as recommended and have had no power issues in my board. I did not even bother hooking up the TR card to my power supply or USB2 header yet it seems to work fine even powering some bus powered USB drives.

My motherboard has 3 x16 slots (2xCPU PEG and 1xPCH) and I have only ever tried it in the bottom PCH as I remember reading others had better results in a non PEG. I had to modify the SSDT to match my RP and calculated my own DROM as per the guide but other than that it just worked. All that stuff is much easier now with HackinDROM anyway.

Hotplug works fine, except for complex devices like my Thunderbolt dock requires a reboot to load the drivers for the ethernet and audio output. The only thing that doesn't work for me is devices won't automatically reconnect after a wake from sleep, but a quick unplug / replug of the cable mounts them again without the need to reboot and load drivers.

Having had such a positive experience with adding thunderbolt to a machine I never thought would be possible, I guess my advice would be to start again and just follow the amazing guides in this thread. Don't over complicate things with additional scripts or kexts. I am simply using the 2 SSDT files from the guide modified to my machine. If you have other PCI slot options it might be worth trying another.

Seeing how confident in OpenCore the users that jumped to it, I decided to follow as well. Unfortunately I've hit a wall, and seem to have broken something as I can't even boot from the clover backup, that I did check was bootable before starting all this. I then updated the Z390 BIOS, and checked again that the backup was booting. Having a safenet, I decided to go forward.

I've followed every step from here OpenCore EFI for Designare. Which were clear and easy to follow.
I prepared the OC USB EFI on the same computer. Copy pasted the values, disabled the necessary elements from the EFI made by CaseyJS. Saved the file, rebooted, edited the BIOS settings, and booted from the USB EFI with OC. I made sure the CFGLock value is 0, reset the NVRAM, but the reboot gets stuck showing the apple logo, and no progress bar.

I then wanted to reboot to my previous install with Clover (after loading the BIOS profile associated with it), but it gets stuck very early on. After "End RandomSeed" I get:
"Error allocating 0x11c61 pages at 0x0000000005810000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area"
Unfortunately, this error subsides when booting from the backup drive and its EFI.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong, and am at a loss trying to fix it.

Last edited:
Seeing how confident in OpenCore the users that jumped to it, I decided to follow as well. Unfortunately I've hit a wall, and seem to have broken something as I can't even boot from the clover backup, that I did check was bootable before starting all this.

I've followed every step from here OpenCore EFI for Designare. Which were clear and easy to follow. Also made sure the CFGLock value is 0, reset the NVRAM, but the reboot gets stuck showing the apple logo, and no progress bar.

I prepared the OC USB EFI

For me its better to use BIOS F9g version
Then reconfigure BIOS settings following the guide

For me its better to use BIOS F9g version
Then reconfigure BIOS settings following the guide
I tried F9g, but it was giving me a black screen and wouldn't boot.

What BIOS settings do you use with F9g? I followed the ones from the guide on the first post and added the changes necessary for OC. Is that correct?

I tried F9g, but it was giving me a black screen and wouldn't boot.
Have you tried to boot by removing one by one your add in devices, Thunderbolt, USB ?
Please upload your EFI.zip without your SMBIOS numbers, it can be helpful
Whats your macOS version?
also boot in verbose mode then we can have more info

I used the exact EFI uploaded by CaseyJS, and added the SMBIOS numbers in there.
Also tried unplugging everything, but the keyboard, and the display, which is connected via the graphic cards.
My OS version is 10.14.6

Last edited:
Seeing how confident in OpenCore the users that jumped to it, I decided to follow as well. Unfortunately I've hit a wall, and seem to have broken something as I can't even boot from the clover backup, that I did check was bootable before starting all this. I then updated the Z390 BIOS, and checked again that the backup was booting. Having a safenet, I decided to go forward.

I've followed every step from here OpenCore EFI for Designare. Which were clear and easy to follow.
I prepared the OC USB EFI on the same computer. Copy pasted the values, disabled the necessary elements from the EFI made by CaseyJS. Saved the file, rebooted, edited the BIOS settings, and booted from the USB EFI with OC. I made sure the CFGLock value is 0, reset the NVRAM, but the reboot gets stuck showing the apple logo, and no progress bar.

I then wanted to reboot to my previous install with Clover (after loading the BIOS profile associated with it), but it gets stuck very early on. After "End RandomSeed" I get:
"Error allocating 0x11c61 pages at 0x0000000005810000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area"
Unfortunately, this error subsides when booting from the backup drive and its EFI.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong, and am at a loss trying to fix it.
This indicates a problem with the UEFI memory driver. Please try CMOS Reset by shorting two pins as indicated in the Designare owner's manual. Then configure BIOS parameters again. If you're on BIOS F9g you won't need to worry about CFG-Lock as it will already be disabled.

If the problem still occurs please compress and upload your OpenCore folder. You may remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo section.

Updating the BIOS to F9H and back to F9B allowed me to boot again from Clover.

F9H gives me a black screen when trying to access BIOS Setup, or upon getting to the apple logo to boot. I can access the Clover screen and the verbose boot gets displayed, but screen gets black after this. I know it gets to the login screen as I get OSX error sounds trying to click randomly. Trying to boot from the OC EFI also leads to a black screen.
Thankfully, it still gives access to the Q-Flash menu. It seems to be an issue other users have encountered. I cannot find F9G anywhere, if a kind soul had a link I'd love to test it.

Seeing I could kind of get back to a working situation, I went through the tutorial again, starting from scratch.
However, I still get stuck on the Apple logo without a progress bar of any sort. I've reset NVRAM again, and verified the CFGLock to no avail.
Interestingly, after trying to boot once from the USB stick, a boot option appeared in the BIOS called OpenCore. Trying to boot from it leads to the same results as before, and the same error when trying to boot from Clover.

Updating to F9H and reverting to F9B and resetting the BIOS as per the 1st post allows me to boot from the Clover config again.

@CaseySJ I'll try CMOS reset ASAP. Is there something else to try in the meantime?

Attached ZIP contains two additional modifications:
  • asus 3.0 bios original thunderbolt-MOD-3.bin
  • asus 3.0 bios original thunderbolt-MOD-4.bin
Feel free to try them one by one. Remember to perform (a) cold boot and then (b) reboot. Then check which devices or functions work or still don't work.
Results are the same:
-usb 3.1(a) dont work at all
-Thunderbolt dont work in Windows
-Thunderbolt work with hotplug in osx but without screen.

Back