Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ,

First I disabled all renames per your instruction, and performed cold starts. I couldn't find anything about the link status:
  • With TB device connected, I got "no drivers are loaded".
  • Otherwise, "no hardware are found"
I'm afraid that the SSDT you provided cannot be loaded without those renaming patches - I checked the boot log and found an ACPI error that `_INI` already existed (attached here).

Thanks,
mistw
Oh, we need the RP15 _INI to XINI rename!

Yes, it's perfectly okay to flash Designare's NVM 33 onto TTR 2.0. Our Society of Mad Scientists has already done this. Worst case, just flash the previous firmware back.
Here's what's so strange to me.

So I tried NVM33. Same as NVM23.
- Freeze on Apollo shutdown 4/5 times
- Hot swap works only sometimes
- System Info shows 'Thunderbolt' devices

I flashed my TTR 1.0 back to its original firmware and flipped back to the original SSDT.
- Freeze on Apollo shutdown 3/5 times
- Hot swap works almost always
- System Info no 'Thunderbolt' devices

Seems bizarre that it absolutely works better in its original, unflashed state.
Can this have anything to do with the SSDT I use for the flashed card?
SSDT's attached.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR2flashed.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 47
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    6.3 KB · Views: 67
I figured that much, @CaseySJ. The 0x3E9B0007 PID has to do with iGPU. Which I don't have.
Also in MacPro7,1 AMD GPUs drive displays over TB3 they have as outputs.
I'll be using DP and HDMI anyways. I just want to test my efforts enabling TB3.

Thank you for the clarification!

I absolutely do NOT recommend changing platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 if you have an AMD GPU. To test Thunderbolt, please connect a Thunderbolt device. Monitors should be driven by AMD GPUs.

Would the same apply for x299x Designare 10g, which has TB3 controller onboard and DP-In ports, @CaseySJ ?

• Thunderbolt monitor should display video if you connect DisplayPort cable from your AMD GPU to the DP-In port on the Asus TB EX-3 card.

Oh, we need the RP15 _INI to XINI rename!
Hey @CaseySJ,

Just tried several combinations of enabling/disabling renames - I got the following result:
  • If we disable all renames except `RP15._INI`, we ensure that the SSDT for TB3 is loaded. However, under system information we have either "no drivers are loaded" or "no hardware found" with TB3 connected at boot or not, respectively. Please note that TB3 dock still works if connected pre-boot, but only displayport worked after hot-plugging.
  • However, I did find a combination which makes the TB tree appear (attached below). Then, I got the following after waiting several seconds in system information. Unfortunately, my TB3 dock didn't work at all: booting w/o connecting the dock results in "no hardware found"; otherwise, booting w/ dock connected resulted in the following screenshots.
  • The other combinations behave the same as the first one, i.e. no drivers are loaded/no hardware found.
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.36.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.28.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.27.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.35.30 PM.png

Thanks,
mistw

I've been using Zoom 5.2.1 quite successfully. If you're using a WebCam, try connecting it to a black USB 2.0 port. Most WebCams are USB 2.0 devices.
View attachment 485770
Regarding Carbon Copy Cloner, please check the bottom part of the file /Users/Shared/EFIClone.log. Feel free to post a copy of that file or just the last few lines.

Thank you for your reply Casey.

I just noticed that my Zoom required updating so now it is the same version as yours. My WebCam is actually a USB 3.0 WebCam. Logitech BRIO 4k. Have never has an issue before so we'll see if it does it again now that Zoom has been updated. :)

I have attached a copy of my EFIClone.log. I should have mentioned that I have not changed anything with my CCC including the Shell Script. It has never let me down and I back my system up onto a 500gb Samsung SSD T5. It seems if I'm reading the log file correctly, I cannot open the EFI partition.

p.s. I needed to change the file extension for me to upload it here.

Attachments

• EFIClone copy.txt
    470 bytes · Views: 60
@CaseySJ Do you have any X299 hack atm? Whenever i am upgrading my mobo, i would love to have a X299 Designare with builtin TB3 ports. But since i’ve been 100% asus boards before, it would feel like a safer buy if you (the guru himself) had one, and could help troubleshoot if i run into any troubles. =)

Just update clover to 5107...
** Micro-Guide: Unlocking MSR 0xE2 on Gigabyte Designare Z390 **
Please do not quote this micro-guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.​
Dose unlocking the CFG-Lock effect windows in anyway, I have been holding off the upgrade to the os due to this as I run a dual boot system?

Hi all! A few weeks ago I posted regarding my Thunderbolt issues with my flashed Titan Ridge. I'm running Catalina with a non TB header motherboard using the DSM firmware and the header cable mod. Thunderbolt is being seen and showing full power. I did have an issue with system audio on one device but that is no longer an issue as I've gone down another route with that.

The most annoying issue is that it can take a few restarts to get the card initializing. There is a script that I'm not sure does anything. Anyway, last night I had to restart, and it took one hour 15 mins of restarts to get it going. Once its going it is fine. I've obviously got something wrong. Can someone familiar with the non TB header workaround help me get this to be more consistent?

Back