Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just an idea... Any BIOS change parameters change? You say it happens in Windows and MacOS?

And if you remove one the monitors?

Just an idea... Any BIOS change parameters change? You say it happens in Windows and MacOS?

And if you remove one the monitors?
Nope, I didn't change anything in BIOS. And the issue happens with only one monitor connected as well.

Although I have not seen any problem reports with the XFX RX 5700 XT (only with the MSI), the first thing to check is whether the Boot Arguments (in NVRAM section of OpenCore Configurator) contain agdpmod=pikera.

How do I add the agdpmod=pikera? Like after the alcid=1?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 11.50.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 11.50.37 PM.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for this. Too often I see these magical firmware patches with no explanation of what changed or why. With proper documentation of each change like this, these patches can be built upon by others.

For my Mac Pro and other cases, my current plan is to work on a software only solution that doesn't require flashing. First step is trying to boot Ubuntu after enabling Alpine Ridge in EFI Shell.
!!! DSM2 dropped the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Data Sheet at #1,319
I guess if you want to know what every byte in the firmware is for, the data sheet is where you would go.

Yes I was afraid that was going to happen because Apple has introduced new capabilities in APFS.

@byteminer — have you tried installing Big Sur public beta?

I've yet to try it out, since the APFS changes made it impossible to do an upgrade in place. I currently do not have the extra disks/space set up to install a second instance of macOS *and* back it up, so I'll have to shuffle some things around first.

I will likely attempt to install and test Big Sur this weekend, so expect an update to the script then, or possibly a bit later if Apple changed the APFS layout a ton. Either way we'll know more come Friday/Saturday.
I might get to it earlier than that but no promises.

Casey You are genius!!! Man I've just done scarry flashing of z390 Designare and my every single one TB1 devices are working!!!
  • UAD Apollo silver with TB1 card is now working.
  • UAD Twin mk2 - TB2 is working.
  • Apple TB Display is working.
  • Belkin TB1 Dock.
Thank you!!!

Last edited:
If you post the IOReg file from your system and the Thunderbolt SSDT, I can get a better idea of what may be happening.
@CaseySJ Thansk for looking into it.

First here is my IOReg screenshot
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-25 om 14.42.02.png

Next attachment is my SSDT

Thank you very very much!

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-PEG2-5-HackinDROM.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 66
@CaseySJ Thansk for looking into it.

First here is my IOReg screenshot
View attachment 485682

Next attachment is my SSDT

Thank you very very much!
Please try the slightly modified SSDT attached. IOReg shows that the previous SSDT was not loaded because it's referring to a non-existent PXSX device. On PEG2 we have instead PEGP. The attached version makes this change.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-PEG2-5-HackinDROM-CASEY.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 49
Back