Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @Lukey1979,

Instead of overwriting the macOS disk temporarily with Windows, do you have a spare SATA SSD -- even a 96GB or 128GB SATA SSD? These devices should be about US$20 through Amazon and Newegg.

Some comments:
  • I have a gallery of screenshots that can help perform the WireShark capture.
  • After saving the capture file to disk and uploading here, I can modify the liquidctl driver.
  • As of now, liquidctl works best for devices that are managed over USB instead of SMBus. Whereas Thermaltake Riing Plus may be controllable (just need to see if there's a Windows or macOS app for that), Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro will be more difficult.
  • Regarding the video playback issue (shikigva=80), if you still have the CLOVER EFI folder, please try one more time to boot from it and re-verify that Prime Video and other services still play in Safari.
    • The problem may be with the latest version of WhateverGreen.
    • OpenCore folder has new version, but your CLOVER folder probably has an earlier version.
    • Earlier version breaks on-board HDMI, but if all of your video services work, then keep the older version.

Hi Casey,

Ok, so I have just purchased a 128gb Sata SSD. Hopefully it arrives within a week or so. I will let you know once I have received it. If I am to install Windows onto that, would I need to remove my MacOS NVMe SSD. Its currently located in the slot closest to the CPU. I would love to capture some traffic for my Thermaltake Riing Plus fans too. Yes there is software for them called TT RGB Plus.

In regards to my Video Playback issue. Yes I kept a copy of my Clover EFI folder just before I migrated to OC. Can I simply copy that across to my bootable USB that I had created for OC and replace the OC EFI folder with the Clover EFI folder? I am curious to see if I have the same issue under Clover. I did notice however, I was running the most up to date WhateverGreen on Clover too (1.4.1) I usually keep my kexts up to date. I remember having Stan and Amazon Prime working on Safari at some stage but as I don't watch them that often, I cannot recall what version of WhateverGreen I may have been using at the time.

Just updated to macOS Big Sur Public Beta 2 (20A5354i) from Software Update without any problem.
Big Sur Public Beta 2 Z390 Designare.png

@CaseySJ Have you tried to make a full install of this version to your "not installable" Z390 Designare?

Hello @Errabundo,
  • You can certainly clone the Crucial SATA SSD to the ADATA M.2 SSD.
  • The differences are only at the EFI folder level.

Thx again.
Thinking on it, I had a problem with my previous back up copy in relation to the Apple ID.

Do I need any precaution in relation to this?
I suppose I'll need to annotate the serial number used in clover, etc, and using the same in OC?

Thx

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has managed to find a fix to the "No Volume Control" when outputting audio via HDMI or in my case DisplayPort via my Radeon RX 5700XT. I run audio through my LG Screen however I cannot control the volume.
Hi,

I have the same issue and have looked everywhere but dont seem to find a solution for that.. its treated like Digital OUT and seems to bypass the internal DAC.
It is a digital output, the sound is outputted via DP or HDMI, and therefore cannot be volume controlled by the volume keys or volume slider, you have to use the volume control on the DP/HDMI device, ie monitor or TV.
Have you tried the latest MonitorControl from GitHub? (It does not work on my AOC Agon, but may work on other monitors.)

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 5.11.24 AM.png

If you're using multiple identical monitors, the standard version will not work. Instead, download and use the special build located here:

Last edited:
Just updated to macOS Big Sur Public Beta 2 (20A5354i) from Software Update without any problem.
View attachment 485129

@CaseySJ Have you tried to make a full install of this version to your "not installable" Z390 Designare?
I updated to Public Beta 2 on the Z490 Vision D yesterday. I can try a fresh install on Designare Z390 later today.

Hi Casey,

Ok, so I have just purchased a 128gb Sata SSD. Hopefully it arrives within a week or so. I will let you know once I have received it. If I am to install Windows onto that, would I need to remove my MacOS NVMe SSD. Its currently located in the slot closest to the CPU. I would love to capture some traffic for my Thermaltake Riing Plus fans too. Yes there is software for them called TT RGB Plus.
Yes we have to remove all macOS drives before installing Windows. Once you're comfortable capturing USB traffic for the ITE Tech device (RGB Fusion 2), it should be straightforward to do the same for Thermaltake Riing Plus.
In regards to my Video Playback issue. Yes I kept a copy of my Clover EFI folder just before I migrated to OC. Can I simply copy that across to my bootable USB that I had created for OC and replace the OC EFI folder with the Clover EFI folder? I am curious to see if I have the same issue under Clover. I did notice however, I was running the most up to date WhateverGreen on Clover too (1.4.1) I usually keep my kexts up to date. I remember having Stan and Amazon Prime working on Safari at some stage but as I don't watch them that often, I cannot recall what version of WhateverGreen I may have been using at the time.
Yes, you can simply copy the entire CLOVER EFI to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk, then use F12 at BIOS Splash Screen to boot from the USB.

Thx again.
Thinking on it, I had a problem with my previous back up copy in relation to the Apple ID.

Do I need any precaution in relation to this?
I suppose I'll need to annotate the serial number used in clover, etc, and using the same in OC?

Thx
You can certainly use the same serial number in Clover and OpenCore. That is strongly recommended. If you change serial number, board serial number, and System UUID, then it may be registered as a new computer in iCloud. And your apps will need to be re-licensed.

@CaseySJ This might be useful info for anyone else having trouble with an LG UltraFine 5K.

I've been testing a lot of things and ruled the monitor out on my freezes (starting to worry it's a hardware issue at this point, might test the RAM soon).

The old advice of slide=1+MemoryAllocation.efi+DVMT=32M never worked for me. In fact, it made my build unbootable.

My issues with this monitor were always that if I booted macOS with iGPU on I black screened. I could force it by warm rebooting from another OS, but then macOS would freeze on wake.

In my case, the issue is headless mode. I can boot with iGPU enabled with standard BIOS DVMT and none of the other fixes if I don't use headless mode. The settings from your OC 0.6.0 mini-guide work fine for this.

I had previously thought it might be headless mode, but then it didn't make sense that turning off the iGPU outright worked,

Back