Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Positive: I double check it's Alpine Ridge Rev 2.0.
If I point the card (metal pins) down to the ground, I count from the top of the card. I short pin 3 and 5.
I confirm the card shows up in 'Thunderbolt' section and one findings I have is that if I don't have SSDT, the speed is 20x2, if I have SSDT, speed is 40x1. I confirm black magic mini recorder (a TB2 device) works, hotplug works.

I've read that Thunderbolt display has issues with Alpine ridge. Also USB doesn't work, I can charge my iphone but no data.

@joevt, Have you seen these posts?

@oreoapple, To double-check, you're using a GC-Alpine Ridge (not Titan Ridge)?

Correct. But when we flash the firmware, the controller operates in non-ICM mode and unhides itself. Moreover, even if the firmware is not flashed, we can use an SSDT to unhide the controller and enable Thunderbolt Bus. We have a repository of such SSDTs located here.

Yes, I suspect something like this may be happening on the Gigabyte Z170X UD5. If the GC-Alpine Ridge works for @oreoapple on a more recent system (newer UEFI - Z390) then it lends credibility to this argument against the older Z170 UD5.

There is a fully working sample SSDT for Lenovo in the Lenovo Micro-Guide. Please see this:

Holly sdjifjdsif,

So everything is correct but not the printed DROM. I was going really crazy.
huh
Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 18.37.22.png

EDIT: Fixed!

Last edited:
Positive: I double check it's Alpine Ridge Rev 2.0.
If I point the card (metal pins) down to the ground, I count from the top of the card. I short pin 3 and 5.
I confirm the card shows up in 'Thunderbolt' section and one findings I have is that if I don't have SSDT, the speed is 20x2, if I have SSDT, speed is 40x1. I confirm black magic mini recorder (a TB2 device) works, hotplug works.

I've read that Thunderbolt display has issues with Alpine ridge. Also USB doesn't work, I can charge my iphone but no data.
@joevt @xtreem.p

FYI... Perhaps the Gigabyte Z170X UD5 itself has some trouble with this card...

Thanks for pointing out the error in the Thunderbolt Repository. The link there has been fixed. Additionally, please see the Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides:

View attachment 485044
Thanks, Casey.
One thing I really hoped to iron out is still happening.

Often, if I turn off my Apollo, nothing happens. I can simply turn it off and then on and it hot swaps the way it should.

Sometimes, I turn it off and the entire system completely freezes. This has been happened since I was on Titan Ridge V1 unflashed. So I got a new Titan Ridge V2, flashed successfully, and now just re-adapted the hackindrom for my x299 platform and it seems to work. But it's still sometimes freezes the system when I turn off the Apollo.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

@joevt @xtreem.p

FYI... Perhaps the Gigabyte Z170X UD5 itself has some trouble with this card...

Thats my original assumption too, i opened the GC-Alpine Ridge cover and saw its a rev.1 even.

Ill have to suffer with only 2 fully working TB3 ports. :)

Its good that we found this out!

Thanks for taking the time.. appreciate it!

BTW, i did try to FPT the 22i BIOS you provided, the card is visible in Win10 but non functioning.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I made a recent change and wanted to get some info on it.

You said OC no longer requires slide=0. I still had freezes even after removing 970 EVO Plus and not using TB monitor (though not doing that fixes other issues). I figure I needed a reinstall, so I installed Catalina fresh with a new EFI build without slide=0.

I can boot without slide=0. I noticed though that sometimes I get the prohibited boot sign. I was worried enabling FileVault 2 messed something up but then a reboot was fine.

Is there a chance that since not having slide=0 means OC will choose a random slide, that sometimes the value is bad? If I recall, some builds require setting a max slide to prevent this. I can't confirm the random fail was due to removing slide=0 but I haven't had one in months and that was due to other things I knew the cause of (iGPU issues).

Last edited:
Hi all.

I'm now very happy with my system.
Catalina installed on a 1T Crucial sata SSD, fresh installation with Clover, and two 2.5 HDD.

But I wanted to add a 1T M.2 ssd as main disc, and letting the Crucial SATA as a back up disc.

I have just ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

For the new installation I prefer trying with OC, as it will be the Big Sur standard,

As I have already installed lot of things in my Crucial SSD (Lightroom, office, etc, etc), if I use the OC way, once installed the new system on the M.2 drive, it will be possible cloning the Crucial SSD Catalina installation on the M.2?

Is it a silly question? I'm not sure if the differences between the clover and OC ways are only at the EFI folder levels, or it affects also to the main drive.

Thank you

@CaseySJ I made a recent change and wanted to get some info on it.

You said OC no longer requires slide=0. I still had freezes even after removing 970 Evo Plus and not using TB monitor (though not doing that fixes other issues). I figure I needed a reinstall, so I installed Catalina fresh with a new EFI build without slide=0.

I can boot without slide=0. I noticed though that sometimes I get the prohibited boot sign. I was worried enabling FileVault 2 messed something up but then a reboot was fine.

Is there a chance that since not having slide=0 means OC will choose a random slide, that sometimes the value is bad? If I recall, some builds require setting a max slide to prevent this. I can't confirm the random fail was due to removing slide=0 but I haven't had one in months and that was due to other things I knew the cause of (iGPU issues).
I've not used slide=0 in some time and the system has booted up properly every time. When switching between Big Sur public beta and Catalina, however, the boot process occasionally hangs, but works again after a simple Reset NVRAM. But other than that, no issue.

Please try Reset NVRAM and then start the clock again. If a boot hang occurs, let us know.

Hi all.

I'm now very happy with my system.
Catalina installed on a 1T Crucial sata SSD, fresh installation with Clover, and two 2.5 HDD.

But I wanted to add a 1T M.2 ssd as main disc, and letting the Crucial SATA as a back up disc.

I have just ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

For the new installation I prefer trying with OC, as it will be the Big Sur standard,

As I have already installed lot of things in my Crucial SSD (Lightroom, office, etc, etc), if I use the OC way, once installed the new system on the M.2 drive, it will be possible cloning the Crucial SSD Catalina installation on the M.2?

Is it a silly question? I'm not sure if the differences between the clover and OC ways are only at the EFI folder levels, or it affects also to the main drive.

Thank you
Hello @Errabundo,
  • You can certainly clone the Crucial SATA SSD to the ADATA M.2 SSD.
  • The differences are only at the EFI folder level.

Back