Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yessir, tried with both 1,3 and 3,5 combos...
Alright, let's do the following:
  • Perform a cold boot (i.e. shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds).
  • Then reboot.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file. It will give us a deeper look into all connected devices.

This guide has truly been amazing and my system is 99% there. I decided to go with OSXWIFI's BCM943602CDP card for Bluetooth 4.2 and AC Wifi but am getting serious lag with both the Bluetooth and Wifi. My Wifi speeds are a 1/5th of what my other devices are seeing and the bluetooth constantly lags or skips with my mouse and keyboard. Any ideas here?
Did you use 2.4G or 5G for your wifi? It's a known issue for Catalina that if you use 2.4G wifi, the signal strength of Bluetooth devices will become significantly worse, my track pad will sometimes get lag or even disconnect. Switch to 5G wifi solved my problem.

This guide has truly been amazing and my system is 99% there. I decided to go with OSXWIFI's BCM943602CDP card for Bluetooth 4.2 and AC Wifi but am getting serious lag with both the Bluetooth and Wifi. My Wifi speeds are a 1/5th of what my other devices are seeing and the bluetooth constantly lags or skips with my mouse and keyboard. Any ideas here?
Some suggestions:
  • Check all antenna connections.
  • Temporarily disable the 2.4 GHz band on your WiFi router and connect only to 5 GHz WiFi network.
    • Bluetooth also operates on 2.4 GHz band. Although Bluetooth and WiFi use different channels within the 2.4 GHz band, some users have noticed interference.
  • Do you have a metal desk? Is the WiFi router adjacent to or enclosed in a metal housing? Are there metal objects in the line of sight between the back of your case and the WiFi router?
    • All of these will attenuate the WiFi signal.
  • One alternative is to use an outboard antenna. Your Designare comes with a 2-pole outboard antenna in the box. You may try connecting that antenna to the inner two poles of the OSXWIFI card and moving the antenna far from the rear of the computer.

without my (once good recovery usb):
reboot from windows (cold or warm) yes I can see both macOS and windows boot options
* I choose the macOS icon and it starts to boot and I get the stop sign.

if I boot my usb, I can get to the gui to re-install if I choose boot macOS install from install Catalina

but either I can't remember how, or doesn't work to use it to boot into my macOS drive.
* choose F12
* Choose USB (to answer your question, my m2 is listed as well)
* Clover menu appears with all the listings
* Boot macOS from macOS - Stop sign
* Boot recovery from recovery - Stop sign
* Boot FileVault rebooter from reboot - Stop sign
Okay this probably indicates a problem with UEFI memory driver. But let's find out for sure as follows:
  • At the Clover Boot Menu press the spacebar to reveal additional options.
  • Use arrow keys to move down to Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on.
  • Then press ESC to return to Clover Boot Menu.
  • Now boot into macOS (not the macOS installer).
  • What error do you see?

Thank you both @CaseySJ and @zk2004mb for the quick replies! I have been reading all day on how the 2.4GHz has major interference issues with bluetooth. I spun up a dedicated 5GHz band on the router and the computer struggled to connect to it. The few times it could, it could not see the internet. For testing, I also have a MacBook Pro sitting right next to the Hackintosh and it has zero issues connecting to the 5GHz band. BTW, the desk is made of MDF.

Do you have a second monitor with HDMI input? Some folks have found it necessary to connect a second monitor over HDMI (HDMI can be connected directly to the same AMD GPU) in order for the LG UltraFine or other Thunderbolt monitor to work more consistently.
Actually HDMI is not as consistent as DP in my case, I did the following test sets with my second monitor using HDMI rather than DP.
1. (a)Cold boot to Macos, the logging in session is on my LG 4K. Once getting into system, Ultrafine 5K has display, none of the other on-board devices are working. (b) warm reboot to macos, the logging in session this time is on Ultrafine 5k, after entering macos, nothing worked on Ultrafine 5K, no display, no devices.

2. (a)Cold boot to Macos, the logging in session is on my LG 4K. Once getting into system, Ultrafine 5K has display, none of the other on-board devices are working. (b) warm reboot to macos, the logging in session is on Ultrafine 5k, after entering macos, this time the on-board devices work, still no display.(c) I replug the ultrafine 5k, display gets back, all other devices are gone.

3. (a)Cold boot to Macos, the logging in session is on my LG 4K. Once getting into system, Ultrafine 5K has display, none of the other on-board devices are working. (b) warm reboot to macos, the logging in session is on Ultrafine 5k, after entering macos, this time the on-board devices work, no display. (c) warm reboot again into macos, the logging in session is on LG 4k, but before I get into macos, the content on LG 4K are shaking and colors are shifting. Looks just like the cable is broken or the GPU is been interfered. Once I get into desktop, LG 4k gets back to normal, no color shifting anymore. Now Ultrafine 5k has no display but on-board devices are working.

4. (a)Cold boot to Macos, the logging in session is on my LG 4K. Once getting into system, Ultrafine 5K has display showing up, but none of the other on-board devices are working. (b) warm reboot to windows, the Ultrafine works perfectly, no problem at all.

Note: When I used DP cable for LG 4k, the logging in session was always on the LG 4k. Ultrafine 5K never lit up before getting into the desktop.

Last edited:
Alright, let's do the following:
  • Perform a cold boot (i.e. shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds).
  • Then reboot.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file. It will give us a deeper look into all connected devices.

Here you go sir, this is with pins 1 and 3 jumped.

Im starting to think whether its conflicting with the NVME which is on RP09.

Attachments

• Bart.ioreg
    6.1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Okay this probably indicates a problem with UEFI memory driver. But let's find out for sure as follows:
  • At the Clover Boot Menu press the spacebar to reveal additional options.
  • Use arrow keys to move down to Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on.
  • Then press ESC to return to Clover Boot Menu.
  • Now boot into macOS (not the macOS installer).
  • What error do you see?

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 55
Thank you both @CaseySJ and @zk2004mb for the quick replies! I have been reading all day on how the 2.4GHz has major interference issues with bluetooth. I spun up a dedicated 5GHz band on the router and the computer struggled to connect to it. The few times it could, it could not see the internet. For testing, I also have a MacBook Pro sitting right next to the Hackintosh and it has zero issues connecting to the 5GHz band. BTW, the desk is made of MDF.
The YOUBO has been getting rave reviews lately... Might be something to try especially if you're within your rights to return the OSXWIFI card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X8MBMD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Here you go sir, this is with pins 1 and 3 jumped.

Im starting to think whether its conflicting with the NVME which is on RP09.
The on-board Thunderbolt on your Gigabyte Z170X UD5 is present, of course, on RP05. But there's no trace of the GC-Alpine Ridge.
  • Was the GC-Alpine Ridge purchased new?
  • Is it running the original Thunderbolt firmware (i.e. it was not flashed)?
  • If you enter BIOS Setup and go to the System Info page, is there a PCIe Device option that lists all devices installed in PCIe slots?
    • If so, does the GC-Alpine Ridge appear in the list?
  • How did you jump Pins 1 and 3? Can you post a photo (remove EXIF GPS Location info from the photo before posting)?

Back