Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Very interesting...
  • Does the screen-blanking issue occur only when using Zoom, but other applications are okay?
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.1 fixes a problem with on-board HDMI port. Are you using Platform ID 0x3E980003 or 0x3E9B0007?
By the way, slide=0 is not needed with OpenCore. It's also unnecessary with Clover if using "FwRuntimeServices.efi". I will remove that argument in the next OC revision.

OK. I have deleted slide=0. Didn't know it is no longer necessary with"FwRuntimeServices.efi".

ok.. after extensive testing... with a z170x ud5 th with 2 built in tb3 ports and adding the gc alpine ridge card to get a total of 4 ports....... no cigar...has anyone managed to get 4 ports with a hackintosh?
Have you jumped Pins 1 and 3 together to enable the card? When holding the card vertically such that the PCIe pins are pointing to the floor, pins 1 and 3 are the top and middle pins of the J1 Thunderbolt header.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.59.46 AM.png

So only Clover 5119 with WhateverGreen 1.4.0 produces a stable image on the Thunderbolt monitor when running Zoom?

Yes, that's right. Even OC with WEG 1.4.0 exhibits screen blanking while using Zoom.

I'm going to rebuild a fresh system and see if there is something else at play here.

Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ! Thank you so much for your work and input, helped me a lot when I try to make my LG Ultrafine 5k work in my hackintosh build.
I'm not sure if I did something wrong but the TR card seems really buggy in my system.

OSX: Catalina 15.5 with USB port successfully mapped

Stage one:
Before I flashed any firmware to the TR card(firmware v50), the ultrafine 5k is useable both in windows and osx(dual boot), the screen work as normal, but no audio/camera. In osx, the system report shows no thunderbolt device and no PCI device. In windows, the system shows there is an unsupported USB device. I can do hotplug without any issue in both systems but can never get audio/camera work. I used the drivers from Gigabyte website. The thunderbolt managing app in windows CAN detect and show the firmware version of controller.

Then I inject the ssdt(both files with controller path modified) and start to flash the ROM

Stage two:
My first choice "TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr". For this ROM, when I boot into OSX, the audio option from ultrafine 5k shows in the top volume bar, but when I choose it, it failed and disappeared from the drop-down menu. It's just gone. I never had a chance to see if the camera is showing. Then, I never get to make the audio/camera work in OSX. The system report correctly shows the thunderbolt controller and PCI devices. Screen picture works just fine.
Then I cold boot into windows, nothing works. No picture, no audio/camera. Hotplug did not change anything. The thunderbolt managing app in windows CAN NOT detect and show the firmware version of controller. Device report shows there is an unsupported USB device. But can show the thunderbolt controller without any issue.
Reboot to OSX, the picture is back but still no audio/camera.

Stage three:
Then magic happened, I take the TR card out, replug all the cables, put it back to my pc. Then cold boot into windows. This time the opening took much longer time than usual, before the windows password stage, the motherboard shows"Preparing a new device" and rendered for about 15 seconds. Then after typing in windows password, I wait for almost 1 minute(usually only 5 sec). Vola! Everything is working including the audio/camera. However I did not have a chance to test the usb hub function because I first decided to test the hotplug. But it failed, after I replug the monitor, the behavior of my build went back to STAGE TWO. It never worked again in windows no matter how many times I try to cold boot or warm boot. The picture did work in OSX but audio/camear never works.

Stage four:
Now I'm trying different firmware, I'm currently testing the ROM you published from Desingnare. All the behavior is identical to STAGE TWO.

Do you have any suggestions or do you want me to post any screenshot/debug information?

Last edited:
I was starting to go crazy trying to get my UAD Apollo TB1 (hotplug / cold boot) to work with the GC-Alpine Ridge (I made some firmware that didn't help), while it works perfectly on Titan Ridge with the firmware from @ Elias64Fr for the Z390 Designare! Thanks guys ! (If some are interested, I made a firmware NVM39 for the Alpine Ridge.)

Hi CaseySJ! Thank you so much for your work and input, helped me a lot when I try to make my LG Ultrafine 5k work in my hackintosh build.
I'm not sure if I did something wrong but the TR card seems really buggy in my system.

OSX: Catalina 15.5 with USB port successfully mapped

Stage one:
Before I flashed any firmware to the TR card(firmware v50), the ultrafine 5k is useable both in windows and osx(dual boot), the screen work as normal, but no audio/camera. In osx, the system report shows no thunderbolt device and no PCI device. In windows, the system shows there is an unsupported USB device. I can do hotplug without any issue in both systems but can never get audio/camera work. I used the drivers from Gigabyte website. The thunderbolt managing app in windows CAN detect and show the firmware version of controller.

Then I inject the ssdt(both files with controller path modified) and start to flash the ROM

Stage two:
My first choice "TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr". For this ROM, when I boot into OSX, the audio option from ultrafine 5k shows in the top volume bar, but when I choose it, it failed and disappeared from the drop-down menu. It's just gone. I never had a chance to see if the camera is showing. Then, I never get to make the audio/camera work in OSX. The system report correctly shows the thunderbolt controller and PCI devices. Screen picture works just fine.
Then I cold boot into windows, nothing works. No picture, no audio/camera. Hotplug did not change anything. The thunderbolt managing app in windows CAN NOT detect and show the firmware version of controller. Device report shows there is an unsupported USB device. But can show the thunderbolt controller without any issue.
Reboot to OSX, the picture is back but still no audio/camera.

Stage three:
Then magic happened, I take the TR card out, replug all the cables, put it back to my pc. Then cold boot into windows. This time the opening took much longer time than usual, before the windows password stage, the motherboard shows"Preparing a new device" and rendered for about 15 seconds. Then after typing in windows password, I wait for almost 1 minute(usually only 5 sec). Vola! Everything is working including the audio/camera. However I did not have a chance to test the usb hub function because I first decided to test the hotplug. But it failed, after I replug the monitor, the behavior of my build went back to STAGE TWO. It never worked again in windows no matter how many times I try to cold boot or warm boot. The picture did work in OSX but audio/camear never works.

Stage four:
Now I'm trying different firmware, I'm currently testing the ROM you published from Desingnare. All the behavior is identical to STAGE TWO.

Do you have any suggestions or do you want me to post any screenshot/debug information?

Now things are getting more interesting

Stage five:
I flashed "GC-TITAN-RIDGE_rev50_Elias64Fr.bin". I first cold boot to OSX, just like STAGE TWO, picture works, no audio/camera. Then restart and warm boot to windows, magically everything works! Picture/audio/camera all works.
And if I restart again and warm boot back to OSX, the picture disappears, just black screen. But audio/camera are still working. I also tested the usb hub, it works perfectly under 3.0 speed. And then I tried hotplug, now the picture gets back, but audio/camera/usb all gone. Really interesting.

Also if I shunt down my pc and then directly cold boot to windows, the behavior is the same as STAGE TWO. Which means now I need to cold boot to OSX first and do a warm reboot to windows so that I can fully use my Ultrafine 5k in windows. For OSX, I have no luck now. Will keep trying and posting.

Last edited:
Hello @zk2004mb,

Welcome to the forum!

At the top of the Thunderbolt Repository, we have these notes:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.35.03 PM.png

So even for the card to work properly in macOS we need to perform one warm reboot.

Also note that the "DSM2" firmware file you mentioned (TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr) is actually Elias' file taken from this thread and renamed. The E64Fr suffix represents Elias64Fr.

Last edited:
Hello @zk2004mb,

Welcome to the forum! Please note that discussion of AMD-based Hackintoshes is not permitted. As long as the focus remains on GC-Titan Ridge, it's okay. But you may be asked to edit your profile, and your previous posts mentioning AMD systems may be deleted.

At the top of the Thunderbolt Repository, we have these notes:

View attachment 484848

So even for macOS to work properly we need to perform one warm reboot.

Also note that the "DSM2" firmware file you mentioned (TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr) is actually Elias' file taken from this thread and renamed. The E64Fr suffix represents Elias64Fr.
Sorry about that, I will change the content accordingly and keep the useful information in case someone needs it. Also, shout out to Elias' work and your contribution!

@zk2004mb

If you (a) cold boot into macOS and then (b) warm boot back into macOS, does the LG monitor work fully (both the display and its on-board devices)?

Then each time to reboot into macOS -- without booting into Windows -- does the LG monitor continue to work?

Any time we boot into Windows, we upset the 'balance in the Force' (i.e. Windows tries to re-initialize and reconfigure the Titan Ridge controller). So each time you switch from a Windows session to a macOS session, it may be best to cold boot.

Hi all, back from a couple month break. anyway i followed the catalina guide to a T a while back, including putting my windows m2 drive closest to the cpu as stated in the instructions. Anyway during my windows gaming time, an update must have killed my macos install. Even my setup usb doesn't work in getting back in..

can anyone help me fix this? do i need to reinstall? if so will it kill my windows drive?

really appreciate any assistance,
pitt1717

Back