Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello,

I've been happily running this build since 2018. I'd like to update it with all the latest improvements discovered along the way, and also move from Clover to OpenCore. I've found the OpenCore Mini Guide, but wanted to know if it's worth the work now, or better to wait until the process is more stable?.

How has been the process and results for those that did the switch?

Hello,

I've been happily running this build since 2018. I'd like to update it with all the latest improvements discovered along the way, and also move from Clover to OpenCore. I've found the OpenCore Mini Guide, but wanted to know if it's worth the work now, or better to wait until the process is more stable?.

It's just a bootloader. What are you missing in Clover? I tested OC and its tools a couple of times, still feeling more beta than Clover.
You will need OC if you want to install Big Sur, but that's kind of bleeding edge.
I am still on Clover/Mojave, does what I want/need.

Ok, it seems that it takes a warm boot after the initial startup to get the sound, camera and USB ports on the TB display to work. Still playing around with some of the bios settings to see if that matters.
Yes, that's one of those "mischievous" behaviors! Glad the display part of the equation is working on cold boot.

Dear @CaseySJ, you are OK.
I removed the MQUPIN Fenvi T919 usb connection to the MB, and now the computer goes to sleep without any issue!!
So, the offensive USB is the Bluetooth connection!

Is there any solution?

I read that the MQUPIN version of Fenvi gives sometimes problems....

Thx
Several users have switched to the YOUBO card. Please see Notes 1 and 3 at the top of the Z490 Vision D thread:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 4.35.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 4.36.31 AM.png

The YOUBO card:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X8MBMD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hello,

If you are running Catalina, then yes it's worth the work now because Catalina users will very likely upgrade to Big Sur in a couple of months. If you're running Mojave, you will probably be running Mojave forever, so no need to change! :) (Yes, intentional sarcasm... Developers really need to release 64-bit versions of everything. It's late 2020 -- there is no excuse for 32-bit stagnation.)

If you are running Catalina, then yes it's worth the work now because Catalina users will very likely upgrade to Big Sur in a couple of months. If you're running Mojave, you will probably be running Mojave forever, so no need to change! :) (Yes, intentional sarcasm... Developers really need to release 64-bit versions of everything. It's late 2020 -- there is no excuse for 32-bit stagnation.)

The pro audio world moves kind of slow and Catalina seems not to be a fast platform to develop for. I'm currently good with Mojave. But as I am on 10.14.6 and need to update, I thought I might as well go for a proper update path and more fool proof.

I also tend to stay 1 version behind so the move to Catalina seems very likely to happen soon. I might try to follow your guide and give me a fixed amount of time to make it work. If you say it's worth it, it's enough for me tbh ;). Your build and tutorials have been a big lifesaver.

@CaseySJ It seems that secondary display awake from sleep is still hit or miss. Most of the times I have to replug it.
Any known reports of this?
I recall experiencing the same issues with iGPU before switching to AMD GPU. All I can suggest is to try the latest WhateverGreen/Lilu, and to consider switching to AMD GPU.

Back