Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This seems quite normal. Have you tried this on a real Mac?

You're right, my work MacBook Pro 15" 2018 also does the same, albeit slightly less. Seems like a OS fault then (that I can live with!)

That is usually an issue with EVO 970 Plus, but not the standard EVO 970. However, try the following as well:
  • Option 1: Move EVO 970 to a the other M.2 slot.
    • Does WiFi work?
  • Option 2: If you have a spare SATA SSD, try cloning the EVO 970 to that SSD (including the EFI partition) and then:
    • Remove the EVO 970
    • Boot from the SATA SSD
    • Does WiFi work?
By the way, when you say WiFi doesn't work, what does that mean exactly?
  • You cannot see anything under System Information --> WiFI?
  • WiFi logo appears in menu bar, but you cannot scan for any SSIDs?
  • WiFi logo appears in menu bar and you can connect to an SSID, but transfer rate is zero?
  • Are you using a 2.4 GHz WiFi network or 5 GHz?

Hi again! Thanks for getting back to me.
  • I can try swapping the two NVME to opposite slots and see how that goes...
  • The wifi logo appears in the menu bar, but when i click "Turn on wifi" it tries, but then doesn't do anything. I have ethernet running so it just resorts back to that.
  • In the network panel, it just shows a red dot next to the wifi option
  • I just checked wifi and looks like the card isn't showing up or something...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.06.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.06.06 PM.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 44
Hi again! Thanks for getting back to me.
  • I can try swapping the two NVME to opposite slots and see how that goes...
  • The wifi logo appears in the menu bar, but when i click "Turn on wifi" it tries, but then doesn't do anything. I have ethernet running so it just resorts back to that.
  • In the network panel, it just shows a red dot next to the wifi option
  • I just checked wifi and looks like the card isn't showing up or something...
Yes, System Information is empty. Please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then post the saved file. It will give us a more complete understanding of what is connected in each PCIe slot.

That is usually an issue with EVO 970 Plus, but not the standard EVO 970. However, try the following as well:
  • Option 1: Move EVO 970 to a the other M.2 slot.
    • Does WiFi work?
  • Option 2: If you have a spare SATA SSD, try cloning the EVO 970 to that SSD (including the EFI partition) and then:
    • Remove the EVO 970
    • Boot from the SATA SSD
    • Does WiFi work?
By the way, when you say WiFi doesn't work, what does that mean exactly?
  • You cannot see anything under System Information --> WiFI?
  • WiFi logo appears in menu bar, but you cannot scan for any SSIDs?
  • WiFi logo appears in menu bar and you can connect to an SSID, but transfer rate is zero?
  • Are you using a 2.4 GHz WiFi network or 5 GHz?

@CaseySJ So i attempted OPTION 1 and swapped the two SSD and rebooted everything. No wifi still but in the System reports, i have some new info that wasn't there previously. I've attached some screenshots

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.45.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.45.12 PM.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.45.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.45.30 PM.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 55
Yes, System Information is empty. Please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then post the saved file. It will give us a more complete understanding of what is connected in each PCIe slot.

Attachments

• Kevin’s iMac Pro.ioreg
    6.7 MB · Views: 82
You're right, my work MacBook Pro 15" 2018 also does the same, albeit slightly less. Seems like a OS fault then (that I can live with!)
I just launched Photos app on my primary Designare Z390 that has a 272GB photo library. Then I clicked on Photos as shown below and began scrolling. Wow...I didn't expect it to scroll the gallery at full breakneck speed with no hiccups. If you are doing the same thing and encountering sluggish behavior, then something may be amiss. Is the CPU bogged down with other tasks (run Activity Monitor and sort the list by %CPU).

P.S. My 272GB Photos library is on a spinning 7200RPM hard drive and still no hiccups. Images will display in low resolution while scrolling, but will change to high-definition when paused.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.49.31 PM.png

Last edited:
<IOReg attachment>
Here are comparisons of my card on the left (FV-T919) and yours on the right (FV-HB1200).

IOLinkSpeed on my card is normal, but is 0x0 on yours.
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.58.07 PM.png

Device properties are normal on my card, but the entire HardwareVersion property is missing on yours.
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 5.00.14 PM.png

On my system, System Information --> WiFi shows this:
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 5.11.21 PM.png

Follow-ups:
  • Please shutdown the system, flip power switch on PSU to OFF. Wait 20 seconds.
  • Then move the NVMe SSD back to the original M.2 slot.
  • Boot up the system and upload IOReg file once again.
Other:
  • How many memory DIMMs do you have in the system?
  • Do you have a spare SATA SSD?

Here are comparisons of my card on the left (FV-T919) and yours on the right (FV-HB1200).

IOLinkSpeed on my card is normal, but is 0x0 on yours.
View attachment 484557

Device properties are normal on my card, but the entire HardwareVersion property is missing on yours.
View attachment 484558

Follow-ups:
  • Please shutdown the system, flip power switch on PSU to OFF. Wait 20 seconds.
  • Then move the NVMe SSD back to the original M.2 slot.
  • Boot up the system and upload IOReg file once again.
Other:
  • How many memory DIMMs do you have in the system?
  • Do you have a spare SATA SSD?

@CaseySJ I have all four DIMMS filled and I have a Samsung 860 laying around.
I’ll go and move the NVME back to its original spot and send reports back.

@CaseySJ

Thank you for your brilliant contribution. I've been running OC 0.60 perfectly since you made it available.
For let me know, is there a place, post, that would feed only new versions of the OC? Because in this post, since the beginning it is treated as a clover. Is there another specific post for OC users?
Thank you
Hello @Rag,

There is an OpenCore Mini-Guide for Designare Z390. It can be used for fresh installations as well.

@CaseySJ I have all four DIMMS filled and I have a Samsung 860 laying around.
I’ll go and move the NVME back to its original spot and send reports back.
Ah, please remove 2 of the 4 DIMMs. Remove DIMMs from slots A1 and B1.
  • Again, shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF.
  • Wait 20 seconds.
  • Then remove DIMMs.
  • Restart and check WiFi.

Back