Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @CaseySJ
What will happen if I modify DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin with DROM generated with HackinDROM and flash it to Winbond? there's any benefits to do that? Will we bypass TB SSDT injection by doing that?

Hello @CaseySJ
What will happen if I modify DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin with DROM generated with HackinDROM and flash it to Winbond? there's any benefits to do that? Will we bypass TB SSDT injection by doing that?
This has the effect of hard-coding the Unique ID (UID) into DROM, which is something that no manufacturer does (as far as I know). The UID needs to be unique (hence the phrase unique ID), which is one of the reasons for injecting DROM dynamically.

Also consider that official versions of Thunderbolt firmware can be downloaded and flashed through Windows. Those official versions all have a generic UID. So any time someone updates their firmware using one of these official downloads, their UID will be wiped out.

The Thunderbolt SSDT, however, also enables Hot Plug in macOS by injecting these two properties:
  • UPSB --> PCI-Thunderbolt
  • DSB0 --> PCIHotPlugCapable

Last edited:
DSM2 used Elias’ firmware from this thread. The last part of the filename contains E64fr which is short for Elias64Fr. I discussed this privately with Elias, and we are both perfectly okay with DSM2 doing this. This is an open community. Everyone shares, everyone borrows, and everyone acknowledges the original contributor.

However, DSM2 has been working or collaborating on a new version that appears to perform much better during initial testing. He has agreed to test it on Antelope devices as well, so I would strongly encourage you and @qthegaijin to wait for those test results.
hi ok - will do - its driving me crazy looking for the answer....:)

Have you seen this guide ("Plan C") for upgrading from Pre-10.15.4 to 10.15.4+ :
Thanks for your help.

It seems that all I needed to do was to unlock MSR 0xE2, and then the install completed.

Now I still have the pre boot installer and install partition. as well, I can't change the clover boot window from the embedded even though I changed it in Clover config.

Also can't set the startup drive in sys prefs "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk"
Minor annoyances, but would like to get it resolved.

thanks again for your help.

mdr

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.

It seems that all I needed to do was to unlock MSR 0xE2, and then the install completed.

Now I still have the pre boot installer and install partition. as well, I can't change the clover boot window from the embedded even though I changed it in Clover config.

Minor annoyances, but would like to get it resolved.

thanks again for your help.

mdr
The installer and preinstaller can only be removed by downloading the 10.15.6 Combo Updater from Apple and running it.

Native NVRAM needs to be enabled in order to install 10.15.4 and later versions successfully. Now that you have native NVRAM enabled, the Combo Updater should fix everything.

@CaseySJ
OpenCore 0.6.0 Released officially, lets update the mini-guide with all the latest goods :)

@CaseySJ
OpenCore 0.6.0 Released officially, lets update the mini-guide with all the latest goods :)
This head start makes the task much easier. All I need to do is surgically replace some EFIs and Kexts. Will do that soon.

** OFFICIAL: OpenCore 0.6.0/0.6.1 EFI for Z390 Designare **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.
Compatible with Catalina and Mojave
** Now compatible with both AMD GPU and Intel iGPU **

The formal release of OpenCore 0.6.1 has arrived, along with an update of nearly all other Acidanthera kexts. This guide includes the latest boot loader and kexts. Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.12.1.0 or later. Do not use 2.12.0.0 due to a bug.

This EFI contains the following changes:

Bootloader / Kexts:
All of the items listed below are official builds.
  • OpenCore 0.6.0 --> 0.6.1
  • VirtualSMC 1.1.5 --> 1.1.6 (OC 0.6.1)
  • Lilu 1.4.6 --> 1.4.7 (OC 0.6.1)
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.1 --> 1.4.2 (OC 0.6.1)
  • AppleALC 1.5.1 --> 1.5.2 (OC 0.6.1)
  • NVMeFix 1.0.3
  • OpenCore 0.6.1 --> IntelMausiEthernet.kext replaced with IntelMausi.kext
config.plist Changes:
  • Misc --> Boot --> Picker Attributes --> 9 (to show volume and tool names properly at Picker Menu)
  • Misc --> Security --> BootProtect --> Bootstrap (to prevent other operating systems from changing Boot Order)
  • Misc --> Tools --> CFGLock (easy way to unlock MSR 0xE2 if you're not using BIOS F9g or F9h)
  • Kernel --> Patch --> Enable dim keys by Wern (for screen brightness control via F1/F2; use with NativeBrightnessControl app; see Post 1 for details)
  • Kernel --> Patch --> SATA Hot Swap I/O Error Fix (for SATA Hot Plug) -- Disabled by default
  • OpenCore 0.6.1 --> Boot Chime has been configured, but not enabled (via headphone jack). To enable boot chime, open the config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, select the UEFI page and then the Audio tab. Lastly, enable PlayChime checkbox.

Preparation Steps for Mojave Users:
  • If you have installed Hackintosh kexts in /Library/Extensions, they must be removed by following only Steps 3, 4, 5 in this guide. Warning: Make a full bootable backup of Mojave before doing this because one accidental error can leave your system unbootable.
  • Also remove any Clover "rc" scripts related to previous use of "EmuVariable" by following only Bullet 6 in this guide.

How to Use:
  1. Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition, or format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Scheme = GUID Partition Map and Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  3. Download the attached ZIP into the top level of the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. When the file is unzipped, there will be a folder called OC-0.6.0-DESIGNARE-Z390 (or OC-0.6.1-DESIGNARE or newer).
  4. Rename this folder to EFI, otherwise the system will not boot.
  5. Inside the EFI/OC subfolder are two standard config files:
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist (choose this if using an AMD GPU)
    • config-Intel-iGPU.plist (choose this only if no AMD GPU is present)
  6. Pick one of the files above, rename it config.plist, and open this config.plist in OpenCore Configurator version 2.9.0.0 or later.
  7. From OpenCore Configurator's File --> Preferences, select Official --> OC 0.6.0 Release Version as shown (or OC 0.6.1 or newer):
    Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 5.12.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 3.55.23 AM.png
  8. Click on PlatformInfo --> DataHub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM and copy/paste existing system name (e.g. iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1, etc.), serial numbers and UUID into the fields shown in red.
    • Use Hackintool to copy existing values:
      Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.33.52 PM.png
    • And paste them here one by one:
      Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 4.42.16 PM.png
  9. Mojave Users Only: It is necessary to uncheck the two items shown below: (a) ACPI --> SSDT-USBW.aml and (b) Kernel --> USBWakeFixup.kext
    Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 5.54.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 5.54.20 AM.png
  10. Save the file.
  11. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen. When the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker) appears, select the USB flash disk.
  12. Warning: It may be necessary to reset NVRAM one time prior to booting macOS. This can be done by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and choosing Reset NVRAM. On multi-boot systems, select the default startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  13. At the OpenCore 0.6.0 Picker menu, select and boot the internal macOS disk.
  14. If everything works correctly, copy the new OpenCore EFI folder from the USB flash disk to the EFI partition of the main macOS SSD.
NOTE:
  • On some Mojave systems, the Intel i211 Gigabit Ethernet port may not work using the version of IntelMausiEthernet.kext included in the attached ZIP file. To determine if this is the case, run System Information and select Ethernet Cards. If both i211 and i219 appear in the list, then your system is OKAY. Otherwise, please see this post.
  • OpenCore 0.6.1 Users: If you see the message OCS: No schema for DisableLinkeditJettison at 2 Index, context <Quirks>! please refer to this post for details. This message can be ignored.

How to Unlock MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock) the Easy Way
Applies to BIOS versions F3 to F9b
(not needed on F9g and F9h)​

This OpenCore EFI folder contains a special UEFI tool called CFGLock. It is almost mindlessly easy to unlock MSR 0xE2 with this tool that was developed by a German Hackintosher named Brumbaer.
  • At the OpenCore Picker, press the spacebar to reveal this option, as shown, and press Enter.
    IMG_1791_resize.jpg
  • Now you will see:​

Brumbaers CFG Unlock
1. 05 05C1 0001 /CFG Lock/ VarStore Name: Setup
Exactly 1 CFG Variable found: CFG Lock
In VarStore "Setup" GUID: EC87D643-EBA4-4BB5 - A1-E5-3F-3E-36-B2-0D-A9 Offset: 05C1 Size: 1
Variable read: value 0
Do you want to toggle the value y/n ?

• If the value is 0, it means CFG-Lock is already unlocked, so press n
  • If the value is 1, it means CFG-Lock is locked, so press y to toggle the value from 1 to 0​
  • Then reboot the system (or shutdown and restart)​
Procedure Complete.

Updates:
  • 3 Aug 2020: First version.
  • 7 Aug 2020: Changed OCC 2.8.0.0 to 2.9.0.0
  • 7 Sep 2020: Added EFI ZIP for OpenCore 0.6.1

Attachments

• OC-0.6.0-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 991
  • OC-061-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 802
Last edited:
Please do not quote the entire guide as stated at the top. Imagine if everyone copied every guide over and over again. It would result in a tremendous volume of repetition and also a lot of wasted storage space.

Which config.plist are you using? Feel free to post that file here, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo section.
Sorry. Thought I did it correctly. How do I do it correctly?

Are you using NVMe Fix kext?
Can you boot directly with the macOS installer flash disk?
Have you tried to install and boot from a standard SSD?

Please upload your EFI folder but remove SMBIOS numbers from config.plist

Thanks so much for the reply.

-No, I'm not using the NVMe Fix kext (Sorry, I must have missed that in the documentation).

-If this refers to the USB, yes I can boot directory with the macOS installer flash disk. (If you're referring to something other than the USB, sorry, this is my first build so my terminology may be off)
NOTE: If I use clover on USB to boot and then run Mojave from NVMe, it boots. It's only when using clover on NVMe and then booting with Mojave from NVMe that fails.

-I have not tried to install and boot from a standard SSD (I will try this. Great idea).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Back