Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@jleahy2,

You have a Focusrite Clarette Thunderbolt audio controller. Although it's not the same as the Focusrite Red 16Line, can you offer any suggestions for troubleshooting the problem @PTuser has reported above?

I haven't had too many problems with my Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. I do realize it's probably different from the Focusrite Red 16Line that @PTuser is user though. I've used this interface successfully an Alpine Ridge thunderbolt card, and also also on this board with on-board TB now without any real issues. When I was using with the Alpine Ridge card, I could *only* get it to work if I first booted into Windows, allowed access to the device first, then hot-booted back into OSX and left it on. Sleep, rebooting, or turning the thunderbolt device off would kill support until I rebooted back in to windows.

I otherwise haven't had any issues except sometimes OSX drops it out (but, I think that's a problem with the device's firmware, which used to require a reboot, but now with this motherboard I can powercycle the device without rebooting which fixes it), and it sometimes reverts to the wrong click setting (ie: it sometimes randomly starts looking for an external clock, instead of using the internal (I don't have an external clock connected)). It obviously won't 'work' without an external clock when it's set to look for one. I've noticed some odd clicking/issues while using it under Windows however, but never under OSX.

I contacted Focusrite about it, which acknowledged it's a known firmware bug that they would fix, however... it looks like they stopped making the interface I have now, and the firmware hasn't been updated much past initial launch, so...looks like they just kinda left people hanging who own it.

All in all - minor things, no major issues or workarounds required on my part. Looking at this Focusrite Red 16Line, I'm not sure that there is even any Windows support for it so... I think most of what I've experienced with my Clarett is probably irrelevant :(

Have you tried connecting the Red to an un-flashed GC-Titan Ridge?

I was wondering this too - I think the next step is to use it on an un-flashed thunderbolt bus.

Last edited:
@jleahy2,

Thank you for the feedback! Ball is back in @PTuser's court now...

I removed my AMD GPU and set Initial Display Output to "IGFX". Then I was able to reproduce the problems you reported, namely:
  • HDMI goes blank midway during boot
  • Screens appear glitchy (screen image chopped up into horizontal stripes)
Running the same experiment with my EFI produced good results. Comparing the two EFI folders, I see that:
  • You are using FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC
  • You are using EmuVariableUEFI even though you have native NVRAM enabled
Consequently, I've updated your EFI with the latest drivers so please backup the existing EFI folder and try the new one attached below.

I moved my CLOVER and BOOT folders away, pasted yours in and rebooted, and still I get the exact same thing. =/
Any other tips @CaseySJ ?

I moved my CLOVER and BOOT folders away, pasted yours in and rebooted, and still I get the exact same thing. =/
Any other tips @CaseySJ ?
How about a lovely shiny new AMD RX 580 GPU? No more crypto mining price gouging; GDDR5 video memory; less than $150; gazillion times faster than iGPU; supports FreeSync; and none of this black screen stuff... :)

How about a lovely shiny new AMD RX 580 GPU? No more crypto mining price gouging; GDDR5 video memory; less than $150; gazillion times faster than iGPU; supports FreeSync; and none of this black screen stuff... :)

I'm considering that for the Black Friday later this year. It's getting harder to find RX580 cards around here and they are going for around BRL 1600. I think they are being replaced by RX 5500XT (That go for around the same price).

I'm considering that for the Black Friday later this year. It's getting harder to find RX580 cards around here and they are going for around BRL 1600. I think they are being replaced by RX 5500XT (That go for around the same price).
I tested the modified EFI folder again -- some updated observations:
  • Booting with both on-board HDMI and on-board DisplayPort connected at the same time, one or the other display is primary and may switch after boot.
  • A few seconds after boot, the screens glitch (horizontal striping) and a hard boot is needed.
However:
  • If we boot with only 1 video cable connected (either HDMI or DisplayPort) then system boots up normally.
  • Then if we hot plug the other video cable, everything is fine and stable.
Speculation:
  • The special builds of Lilu and WhateverGreen are still a work in progress. It would be best to wait for the official releases, which should be coming very soon.
  • Meanwhile, we can boot with one cable connected and then hot plug the other.

I tested the modified EFI folder again -- some updated observations:
  • Booting with both on-board HDMI and on-board DisplayPort connected at the same time, one or the other display is primary and may switch after boot.
  • A few seconds after boot, the screens glitch (horizontal striping) and a hard boot is needed.
However:
  • If we boot with only 1 video cable connected (either HDMI or DisplayPort) then system boots up normally.
  • Then if we hot plug the other video cable, everything is fine and stable.
Speculation:
  • The special builds of Lilu and WhateverGreen are still a work in progress. It would be best to wait for the official releases, which should be coming very soon.
  • Meanwhile, we can boot with one cable connected and then hot plug the other.
@CaseySJ I guess I'm doomed here, bc that did't work either. If I boot using only the HDMI, it still goes blank right before the login screen. Plugging the DisplayPort (over USB-C) lights up the main monitor, but the secondary is still blank.

Doing the opposite (starting with DP, then HDMI) simply blinks my main screen for a sec or two, but the secondary never lights up.

It's intriguing to me why the exact same hardware produces different results. My Catalina installation no longer has custom kets on /Library/extensions, so this shouldn't happen... BTW, I'm running 10.15.5

Is it possible to downgrade back to Mojave?
Another option is to try and get another DisplayPort monitor. I don't have another USB-C to DP cable, but my U2717D supports DisplayPort daisy chaining, that could work...

@CaseySJ I guess I'm doomed here, bc that did't work either. If I boot using only the HDMI, it still goes blank right before the login screen. Plugging the DisplayPort (over USB-C) lights up the main monitor, but the secondary is still blank.

Doing the opposite (starting with DP, then HDMI) simply blinks my main screen for a sec or two, but the secondary never lights up.

It's intriguing to me why the exact same hardware produces different results. My Catalina installation no longer has custom kets on /Library/extensions, so this shouldn't happen... BTW, I'm running 10.15.5

Is it possible to downgrade back to Mojave?
Another option is to try and get another DisplayPort monitor. I don't have another USB-C to DP cable, but my U2717D supports DisplayPort daisy chaining, that could work...

I have a Dell U2720Q connected via HDMI and a Dell U2417H connected via a DP cable to my ASRock z390 with IGPU only. On boot - both monitors light up and display the OpenCore boot menu. Both monitors display loading the apple boot menu - then halfway through the 27 inch (connected via HDMI) goes blank. At the login menu, I restart the 27 inch via the power button and both light up properly. Sleep and wake is normal. I suppose this should also work for you. Here are some settings I use
  • I have an IGPU Multi monitor option in the BIOS that I have set to enable > I personally don't think this does much.
  • Share Memory is 128 MB
  • IGPU Platform ID is 0x07009b3e and using iMac 19.1 sin SMBIOS
  • The frame buffer path has enable HDMI checked and looks like the attached (it will vary for your MB but you get the idea)
PS - DisplayPort daisy chaining only supports screen mirroring in mac's.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 12.08.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 12.08.21 PM.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 12.13.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 12.13.58 PM.png
    342.2 KB · Views: 71
@yosoyoco - thanks for your input - everything working ok with yours?
I did not flash my Titan Ridge, I just used the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 and it is enough to work with my RME UFX + as well as my Apollo satellite OCTO. I use a flashed GC-Alpine Ridge for my Apollo Silver but without SSDT because the hotplug causes a kernel panic with the UAD driver. I just have to reboot to be able to use it. My Orion32 + does not work via Thunderbolt because of the Antelope drivers, so I use it via MADI with the RME UFX +.

Back