Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

OK. Now Luna is being driven by built-in graphics and when I launch any video intensive app such as zoom or OBS, it tears and artifacts. And because of my configuration, when I use the head mode, my Final Cut Pro will not start. Will have to figure out how to go headless without losing the Luna connection. I did search this site and found one person who had success with Luna Display successfully by using SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7B.aml. I think you helped him out. This hobby is fun and frustrating at the same time. :)
Yes, often it seems we take two steps forward and one step backwards. Luna Display is used by @heartmusic, but I'm not sure if his account is still active. He was using Mojave 10.14.4 with SMBIOS Macmini8,1, and running Logic Pro and Studio One.

This was my first round of testing, I still have to install a very big load of apps and plugins, will update the list once done:

What is flawlessly working after 3 days of continuous stress testing and troubleshooting:

System:

• Sleep/Wake/Restart, Screensavers, Logout, Switch User, Mission Control and Multiple Desktops
  • Every single USB port (front case included)
  • Both Ethernet ports
  • Wireless charging from case BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 (Mobo USB)
  • Thunderbolt
  • Usb-C
  • Vega 64 (natively supported) & Intel UHD Gpu, Dvi Port & Hdmi Audio
  • On Board Audio
  • Fans, Stats & Sensors

OSX Mojave:

• iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, App Store
  • Notification Center & Sync
  • Time Machine
  • Adobe Flash, Xtools & Java
  • Quicklook h.264, ProRes, 4k, (for pdf and other files you need to configure the SMBIOS, Vega64 -> iMacPro 1,1)
  • iStat (fully working) - Fans in BIOS = Auto
  • Ask Siri
  • Quick Time, Screen, Audio, and Movie Recording
  • IACBus (needed for Hijacking Audio and Midi rerouting purposes)

External Gear:

• Tascam 16x08 USB Audio Interface
  • UAD Apollo Twin MKII (Thunderbolt)
  • Virus TI2, USB + Software Suite
  • Akai Max49 Keyboard, Editor Software and Akai Connect
  • Roll Seaboard + Dashboard & Equator Software
  • Avid Artist Mix

Third Party Software:

• NordVPN (so VPN's)
  • Logic Pro X - Everything
  • Protools 2018.12 - Everything
  • Ableton Live 10 - Everything
  • Wine Stable
  • iLok & eLicenser
  • Final Cut Pro all Res & 4k (but to make it work you have to disable the internal GPU otherwise it won’t even launch)
  • Photoshop CC 2019
  • Audition CC 2019
  • Razer Synapse, Steam, (although I advice having a secondary Windows HD, like me for gaming purposes)
  • OCB, broadcast, livestream, screen recording

Not Working / Issues to be addressed:

Gpu stresss test crash after 21 min, (Heaven Benchmark) Undergoing investigation
Some Finder graphic glitch like if you delete a file it will still be displayed until you close the folder and reopen it again.
Still have to order the bluetooth/WiFi card to test Magic Mouse & Trackpad, Handoff, Airdrop & Bluetooth Devices

@CaseySJ and the others from this thread,
Thanks everyone, it was really fun and somewhat not too complicated to build this beast, also for a noob like me,
it's my first Hackintosh, and I can't believe it's working.

I couldn't have done it without everyone's help.
Hai...i would like to know how your apollo twin Mk2 is holding up with your Htosh, is it working fine without any glitches?

@FormerUser-50757 - what are you running OpenCore or Clover and which versions?
Tried both, same results. Older versions and latest versions, up until about April or so. Even flashed my TB controller.

my MacBook Pro 2018 is running Catalina, it’s pretty buggy also. I was actually psyched and ready for Catalina, checked all software hardware etc, but it’s just not there. of course there’s going to be people who say it’s fine, and it must be user error. Hooray for them. Fact is, it doesn’t work well enough when you ask it to actually perform With a bunch of stuff plugged into it. Solution? Unplug your stuff. What?

Hello @CaseySJ,

HackinDROM has been updated.
-Design was changed
-Now HackinDROM supports Thunderbolt BUS ID changing.
-Bug fixes
-"(Optional) Generate new Thunderbolt UID" button was removed because useless.

Capture d’écran 2020-07-17 à 17.42.20.png

Hello @CaseySJ,

HackinDROM has been updated.
-Design was changed
-Now HackinDROM supports Thunderbolt BUS ID changing.
-Bug fixes
-"(Optional) Generate new Thunderbolt UID" button was removed because useless.

View attachment 480764
That is awesome! Love the new design.

We could even combine the second page (Device and Vendor name change) into the front page.

That is awesome! Love the new design.
Thank you

We could even combine the second page (Device and Vendor name change) into the front page.

Yes Sir, this is for the next update. (I'm rewriting the whole script to not use Sunshine's script anymore)
Managing each byte (for advanced users) will be possible too, and very easily.

Hi!

I just got a second-hand monitor for free and would like to use it on this hackintosh build. I currently have no dedicated graphics card, and I'm driving a 27-inch 2K monitor though thunderbolt (to display port).

When I connect the new one to the HDMI my main screen blinks (like any computer does when you plug a monitor), but it won't work. If I reboot, it starts up mirrored, but during the boot process it goes blank again, and the main one gets all buggy and glitchy, with black and red bars/artifacts and blinking.

I did follow the Easy Way to Enable On-Board HDMI Port with Hackintool.

Hi!

I just got a second-hand monitor for free and would like to use it on this hackintosh build. I currently have no dedicated graphics card, and I'm driving a 27-inch 2K monitor though thunderbolt (to display port).

When I connect the new one to the HDMI my main screen blinks (like any computer does when you plug a monitor), but it won't work. If I reboot, it starts up mirrored, but during the boot process it goes blank again, and the main one gets all buggy and glitchy, with black and red bars/artifacts and blinking.

I did follow the Easy Way to Enable On-Board HDMI Port with Hackintool.
In Catalina we have found that on-board HDMI no longer works on this system (neither on the Z490 Vision D). But if you're running Mojave, it should work.

@CaseySJ Recently made the swap over to OpenCore 0.5.9 on my main drive, but since I jumped over I've found that on both 10.15.5 & 10.15.6 after a bit of time I will get a flag that both "News" and "Stocks" have stopped working and find that they are frozen and have to be force quit it happens every 10-15 mins even if both apps weren't open, has anyone else ran into this issue? I tried searching the thread but didn't see any comments on it.

Also get a flag for "com.apple.hiservices-xpcs" non-responsive at the same time that the others appear.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Good evening Casey ... well it has been awhile since I posted but better late then never. Update: I was on Catalina 10.5.4 and suddenly got the urge to upgrade. To my surprise I went directly from 10.5.4 ==> 10.5.6 !!!! Here is the events that happened. Apple requested to restart, probably because I was on VPN, and after restart the screen went to Apple install with 44 min to go ... after 5 min it restarted my machine with a White Screen then restarted again and went to Apple install with 10 min to go ... it did take 10 min. After final restart it brought up everything perfectly without issue. Nothing but the best on this upgrade here are my stats on Gigabyte Designare Z390 with i9-9900k ... you might notice that my Ram HyperX 3333 is now up to 3499-3500 and CPU is 5001mhz yippeeee Also my watercooling is stable at 38deg C on the CPU Also ditch my P90 case (behemoth) and my wife was complaining so I went with a Corsair 570 and yes it has a RED WHITE and BLUE theme :thumbup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.33.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.33.51 PM.png
    78 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
Back