Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@bmoney yes.. ye of little faith.. doubting the great ziggenpuss and his hair pulling, USB bodging skills :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Smooth Update to 10.15.6 OpenCore 0.5.9

10.15.6_OC.0.5.9_2020-07-16 at 21.14.56.png

Last edited:
Because you're using OpenCore, you can go ahead and violate the 15 port limit of macOS by doing two things:
  1. Enabling the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in config.plist
  2. Modifying your USBPorts.kext by adding HS08 and HS13 as type 9 (USB-C)
We are doing this in the Z490 Vision D build; in fact we have enabled every USB port on that build.
I got so close to getting this working.
Enabled HS08 and HS13 as I only had 13 ports enabled. Luna shows up when I plug it into one of the TB ports in the back of the motherboard. But, as soon as I open the app on the second Mac to connect, it KPs. Hard freeze instantly. I am wondering how people got Luna USB-C to work. Here's the screenshot of the crash report.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.04.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.04.24 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Interesting. I'm still on Mojave, but I'm very interested to see if this update fixes this USB dropout issue without the need for external hubs or cards.

Hopefully your interest only extends to reading about it unless you want to head into the storm after a respit of smooth sailing. Catalina seems like a heap of unnecessary trouble for audio users. It seems to have in some way brutalized every fellow DAW person I know who upgraded. I'm going to wait it out until some really essential piece of SW I use won't work anymore on Mojave.

I got so close to getting this working.
Enabled HS08 and HS13 as I only had 13 ports enabled. Luna shows up when I plug it into one of the TB ports in the back of the motherboard. But, as soon as I open the app on the second Mac to connect, it KPs. Hard freeze instantly. I am wondering how people got Luna USB-C to work. Here's the screenshot of the crash report.
Some apps crash if platform ID is set to 0x3E9B0007. Let's check your current setting. Simply run Hackintool; platform ID will be displayed in its home screen.

Some apps crash if platform ID is set to 0x3E9B0007. Let's check your current setting. Simply run Hackintool; platform ID will be displayed in its home screen.
Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003. Running it as iMac19,1 headless.

Because you're using OpenCore, you can go ahead and violate the 15 port limit of macOS by doing two things:
  1. Enabling the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in config.plist
  2. Modifying your USBPorts.kext by adding HS08 and HS13 as type 9 (USB-C)
We are doing this in the Z490 Vision D build; in fact we have enabled every USB port on that build.

Is there something specific about how OpenCore works that removes the risk? From my understanding the old patches were bad because they caused going out of buffer (plus you needed to redo them every OS update).

Is OpenCore doing this safely instead? I could see them just extending the buffer instead of just skipping out of it. If so, is there any downside? I could enable all my ports if so as I already use OpenCore.

Here's another question about SIP status on this build using OpenCore 0.5.9, 10.14.6, and Filevault:
When I poll the SIP status in Terminal with csrutil status I get this:

csrutil status via Terminal.png

Is this a "normal" reading of SIP being enabled? Or do I need to monkey around in Recovery<Terminal for more work?

I am using HDMI to HDMI no adapters.
my monitor is a ROG, swift PG248Q 1080HD gaming monitor. not sure if it supports HDR.

One thing i notice is once the graphics go weird, the whole thing slows down and freezes.
So i think its probably not the cable or the monitor.

What should be my next steps? Should i run post installation steps? or figure out whats going on with the graphics first.
thanks @CaseySJ
Please try enabling CSM Support in BIOS. Other options:
  1. Install Windows or Linux and see if graphics are normal.
  2. Enable iGPU for non-headless mode and use USB-C to DP cable.
  3. Consider replacing AMD GPU.

Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003. Running it as iMac19,1 headless.
Consider switching to 0x3E9B0007 temporarily. Have you searched this site or Google for Luna on Hackintosh?

Is there something specific about how OpenCore works that removes the risk? From my understanding the old patches were bad because they caused going out of buffer (plus you needed to redo them every OS update).

Is OpenCore doing this safely instead? I could see them just extending the buffer instead of just skipping out of it. If so, is there any downside? I could enable all my ports if so as I already use OpenCore.
So far it seems OpenCore is doing it in an effective manner. No manually applied patches are needed, but a USB port map is necessary to obtain proper sleep behavior. I haven’t noticed any issues on the Z490 Vision D so far.

Back