Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

After rebooting, it's not even being recognized. There is no entry under USB that say Luna. Strange.
When I plug it into my MBP, it shows up under USB 3.0 requiring 100mA. 500mA required.
This suggests that Luna is using USB 2.0 protocol, which has been disabled on all USB-C/TB3 ports to maintain 15-port limit. But there is another USB SSDT at the bottom of Post #1 that enables USB 2 on TB3 ports. It's in the Fractal Design Define R6 zip, and the particular file to use is:

SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3.aml

Only one SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE... can be used at a time, so temporarily move the existing one (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml) to a different folder such as CLOVER/misc.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

I wanted to report that I've got OC 0.5.9 working with 10.14.6. using the OpenCore-STANDARD-0.5.9 for Designare Z390 package - NVRAM with a BIOS update F9h) UAD Apollo 8 Thunderbolt powerswap still works, too. Question: Can I safely enable SIP 0x0 or 0x3 when running OpenCore? Or were you discussing SIP with Clover?

Please and thank you.
Hello @jiffyslot, SIP can certainly be enabled in both Clover and OC. It's a macOS system integrity protection setting, so it's mostly independent of the boot loader.

Hi @CaseySJ. Thanks for all the information.

Have been trying this same set up for 2 weeks already. Everything works great until i arrive to the post installation step where for some reason everything freezes after 5 minutes from login.

I have a 4 stick ram package and tried the installation from 0 with only 16gb on it and it worked flawless. Any idea what may cause this issue?
Hello @GTR18

Some questions:
  • Are you using Clover 5103 or newer? At the Clover Boot Menu either look along the bottom of the screen or press A for "about".
  • When you say "everything freezes after 5 minutes" does this mean:
    • You have already completed post-installation?
    • The internal Mojave SSD contains an EFI partition with CLOVER installed?
    • But when you boot from the Mojave SSD (i.e. remove USB flash disk) you can login fully to Mojave, but 5 minutes later Mojave freezes?

The Inateck card was a viable solution but @ziggenpuss ' fix was also basically correct (eliminating unused ports didn't help but isolating USB devices on a powered hub was the fix). I'm sorry if I ever doubted you @ziggenpuss - I didn't check my setup correctly. I'm 99% sure that my freezes were the result of a passive (unpowered) hub that I thought was powered. (Doh!! Such common sense. Arrrrrrg.....) My kensington expert mouse, iLok, korg nano and keyboard were on a cheap hub which was buried in a mess of cables and, lo and behold, once I eliminated it and grabbed a good old 10 port Plugable USB2 powered hub for HS9, I had no issues whatsoever. (These can be had on ebay for around 15 shipped):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEOWV14/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This is the independent confirmation I was waiting for.
Maybe there is something in Mojaves's internal USB drivers that freaks out if a port power requirement is exceeded which is much less robust then previous OXs' or Win10's. Maybe some systems are more sensitive then others depending on power supplies or MB quirks. @CaseySJ, If you are going to add a USB best practices spoiler I would suggest making sure all USB1/2 devices on the USB 2 ports and getting sufficient power from a powered hub and/or trying a different powered hub if freezes persists. If all else fails s PCI card should be a fix. SUPER BIG PROPS to everyone who chimed in on this. Thanks for your help and patience. I knew it was probably something simple and it was. The system is working beautifully and I feel like a bit of an idiot for not doing a more thorough check of my USB mess which (was never an issue with my mac pro).
Very good -- will create a Best Practices post and include references to the powered hubs mentioned by you and @ziggenpuss.
ALSO, @CaseySJ. You are one of the most helpful people of all time. Not only have you provided one of the most detailed build instructions ever, you've tirelessly helped and guided so many of us with fixes and troubleshooting- In the end helping us save s*&tloads of money to have the best tools we can build. If you are comfortable PMing me a email or donation/payment methodology I would be very happy to send you some money as show of appreciation. You can buy beers or whatever you want with it. If it's not in violation of any forum rules I also would encourage anyone else who can swing it to show their gratitude by throwing @CaseySJ some dinero. THANK YOU
You're quite welcome -- glad you're finally able to get back to business as it were! My time on this forum is purely on a pro bono basis. But you're always welcome to contribute to the site's operation by clicking the "Contribute" button at the very top left of the page.

Its not the splash screen its similar to the attached blue screen but in yellow

yup, it does a better boot if i hit the space bar and select verbose. it actually loads further in the os.

got it attached thanks!
Which WiFi/BT card are you using?

Please try the attached EFI folder as follows:
  • Insert USB install disk on the original Mac or Hack that was used to create the disk.
  • Mount EFI partition (use Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI)
  • Rename the existing "EFI" folder to something like "EFI-old"
  • Download the attached ZIP into the root level of the EFI partition and rename it from EFI-ryanatmstr to just EFI
    • If you have not signed in to iCloud with the serial number in your original EFI folder, you may use the new EFI directly because I've generated new numbers.
    • But if you have already signed in to iCloud, then open the new config.plistin Clover Configurator and copy-paste the following from your old config.plist:
      • SMBIOS --> Board Serial Number
      • SMBIOS --> Serial Number
      • SMBIOS --> SmUUID
      • And then copy Board Serial Number also to RtVariables --> MLB
  • Safely eject the USB flash disk and insert it into the Hackintosh
    • Boot the Hackintosh, but press F12 when BIOS splash screen appears
    • Select the USB disk from the BIOS boot menu (not Clover Boot Menu)
    • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select the internal Mojave SSD
  • Does it boot?

Attachments

• EFI-ryanatmstr.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ, sorry about my last post, i would be wise!

Planning to add support for Thunderbolt Bus ID to HackinDROM.
Question:What is the limit number for TB Bus ID we can assign in TB Drom and TB Config?
Should we assign number 0 or 1 to begin?

Good to know! I'll add that to the Sleep Aid.

SIP can certainly be enabled.

File Vault can also be enabled, but I have no experience with it. So if you succeed in enabling File Vault, please let us know how you did it...

@CaseySJ / @iRamon - Quick update. In the pursuit of perfection, I just couldn't let it go and decided to leave Find My Mac turned on for more testing.

It now appears that the machine wakes every couple of hours for a few minutes, however the reason code is no longer due to /Network, but rather, due to /User Activity

The WakeDetails Driver Reason is now given as PXSX. Now, from my rudimentary research, PXSX is either USB or Ethernet/Wifi. Does that mean there's potentially a USB issue with my Mac, or is PXSX just another name for network (even though the wake reason is no longer /Network but rather /User Activity?)

Thanks.

Hello @CaseySJ, sorry about my last post, i would be wise!

Planning to add support for Thunderbolt Bus ID to HackinDROM.
Question:What is the limit number for TB Bus ID we can assign in TB Drom and TB Config?
Should we assign number 0 or 1 to begin?
Hello @Inqnuam

Thunderbolt Bus IDs should begin with 0 and probably stop at 10. I wouldn't expect anyone to have more than 10 Thunderbolt controllers in their system!

Hello @Inqnuam

Thunderbolt Bus IDs should begin with 0 and probably stop at 10. I wouldn't expect anyone to have more than 10 Thunderbolt controllers in their system!
should I assign automatically a random TB ID between 0 and 10 or give to users an option to enter a number by their self

@CaseySJ / @iRamon - Quick update. In the pursuit of perfection, I just couldn't let it go and decided to leave Find My Mac turned on for more testing.

It now appears that the machine wakes every couple of hours for a few minutes, however the reason code is no longer due to /Network, but rather, due to /User Activity

The WakeDetails Driver Reason is now given as PXSX. Now, from my rudimentary research, PXSX is either USB or Ethernet/Wifi. Does that mean there's potentially a USB issue with my Mac, or is PXSX just another name for network (even though the wake reason is no longer /Network but rather /User Activity?)

Thanks.
PXSX is an upstream PCI bridge. If you look at IORegistryExplorer and search for PXSX you may find a handful of them. Devices that connect to the PCI bus attach themselves to one of these bridges.

Think of the PCI bus as the river Thames, which we know from circling the London Eye, is lined with numerous bridges. On one side of the river is the PC itself; on the other side are peripheral devices wanting to connect to the PC. Just as bridges along the Thames connect the left and right sides, so do the PCI bridges.

On every bridge there is an entry/exit point on the left side and an entry/exit point on the right side. We can call these points the "ports" of entry and exit. On the PCI bus, the port on the left side (i.e. the computer side) is called the Root Port and there is of course one Root Port for each bridge. These are labeled RP01..RPxx (RP = root port). Then on the other side of the bridge is another port, but this port is controlled by the peripheral or add-in-card. PXSX is the generic name of this port.

Back