Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

its not present on the flash drive at this time. i think
this is what i see when booting, it goes to yellow screen and blue screen eventually black.
Correct - the old "Drivers64UEFI" folder is not present, which is good. When you say "yellow" screen do you mean the Gigabyte splash screen? And "blue" screen is the photo on the right?
its weird sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesnt.
is there a an efi folder i should copy? or should i redo it all over from the start?
When you say "sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesn't" do you mean that sometimes the USB flash disk allows Mojave to boot up properly and sometimes it doesn't?

I can take a look at your EFI folder and make some revisions. Simply remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist then compress and upload the EFI folder.

The USB-C version should work fine.
I just tried Luna Display on one of my TB ports on the back of Designare. It tells me the devices is drawing too much power, and gets disabled. I am trying to use Luna Display to cast my Hackintosh screen to my MBP. Let me know if you have any thoughts on possible solution. Both TB ports work well with my 4K monitor, but somehow won't work with Luna Display.

I just tried Luna Display on one of my TB ports on the back of Designare. It tells me the devices is drawing too much power, and gets disabled. I am trying to use Luna Display to cast my Hackintosh screen to my MBP. Let me know if you have any thoughts on possible solution. Both TB ports work well with my 4K monitor, but somehow won't work with Luna Display.
Does the power draw message appear as soon as Luna is connected or only when establishing a connection to the MBP? Under System Information --> USB you will find an entry for the Luna device along with its power requirements. Please post a screenshot of that:
  1. Immediately after inserting the Luna into USB-C/TB3 port (but before trying to connect MBP)
  2. While trying to connect to MBP

Does the power draw message appear as soon as Luna is connected or only when establishing a connection to the MBP? Under System Information --> USB you will find an entry for the Luna device along with its power requirements. Please post a screenshot of that:
  1. Immediately after inserting the Luna into USB-C/TB3 port (but before trying to connect MBP)
  2. While trying to connect to MBP
After rebooting, it's not even being recognized. There is no entry under USB that say Luna. Strange.
When I plug it into my MBP, it shows up under USB 3.0 requiring 100mA. 500mA required.

Last edited:
Good to know! I'll add that to the Sleep Aid.

SIP can certainly be enabled.

File Vault can also be enabled, but I have no experience with it. So if you succeed in enabling File Vault, please let us know how you did it...

Hi @CaseySJ

I wanted to report that I've got OC 0.5.9 working with 10.14.6. using the OpenCore-STANDARD-0.5.9 for Designare Z390 package - NVRAM with a BIOS update F9h) UAD Apollo 8 Thunderbolt powerswap still works, too. Question: Can I safely enable SIP 0x0 or 0x3 when running OpenCore? Or were you discussing SIP with Clover?

Please and thank you.

Hi @CaseySJ. Thanks for all the information.

Have been trying this same set up for 2 weeks already. Everything works great until i arrive to the post installation step where for some reason everything freezes after 5 minutes from login.

I have a 4 stick ram package and tried the installation from 0 with only 16gb on it and it worked flawless. Any idea what may cause this issue?

I just did a clean install on this config using UniBeast 10.3.0 - Catalina and followed up using MultiBeast 12.3.0.

The system is up and running with a Serial Number and iMessage working. But when I load the config.plist up to view the SMBIOS settings, its mostly blank. See my screen shot.

At this stage the system is running nice but I'm sure it needs the proper Kexts and other things. What is my best move at this stage? Thanks.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-14_at_8_52_18_PM.png

Strange that @bmoney is still suffering freezes but not you and @jleahy2 ?
Hi,
I wanted to report back after a lot hours of working without any freezes and experimenting with different devices on the MB ports to see what wreaked havoc.

The Inateck card was a viable solution but @ziggenpuss ' fix was also basically correct (eliminating unused ports didn't help but isolating USB devices on a powered hub was the fix). I'm sorry if I ever doubted you @ziggenpuss - I didn't check my setup correctly. I'm 99% sure that my freezes were the result of a passive (unpowered) hub that I thought was powered. (Doh!! Such common sense. Arrrrrrg.....) My kensington expert mouse, iLok, korg nano and keyboard were on a cheap hub which was buried in a mess of cables and, lo and behold, once I eliminated it and grabbed a good old 10 port Plugable USB2 powered hub for HS9, I had no issues whatsoever. (These can be had on ebay for around 15 shipped):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEOWV14/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Maybe there is something in Mojaves's internal USB drivers that freaks out if a port power requirement is exceeded which is much less robust then previous OXs' or Win10's. Maybe some systems are more sensitive then others depending on power supplies or MB quirks. @CaseySJ, If you are going to add a USB best practices spoiler I would suggest making sure all USB1/2 devices on the USB 2 ports and getting sufficient power from a powered hub and/or trying a different powered hub if freezes persists. If all else fails s PCI card should be a fix. SUPER BIG PROPS to everyone who chimed in on this. Thanks for your help and patience. I knew it was probably something simple and it was. The system is working beautifully and I feel like a bit of an idiot for not doing a more thorough check of my USB mess which (was never an issue with my mac pro).

ALSO, @CaseySJ. You are one of the most helpful people of all time. Not only have you provided one of the most detailed build instructions ever, you've tirelessly helped and guided so many of us with fixes and troubleshooting- In the end helping us save s*&tloads of money to have the best tools we can build. If you are comfortable PMing me a email or donation/payment methodology I would be very happy to send you some money as show of appreciation. You can buy beers or whatever you want with it. If it's not in violation of any forum rules I also would encourage anyone else who can swing it to show their gratitude by throwing @CaseySJ some dinero. THANK YOU

I just did a clean install on this config using UniBeast 10.3.0 - Catalina and followed up using MultiBeast 12.3.0.

The system is up and running with a Serial Number and iMessage working. But when I load the config.plist up to view the SMBIOS settings, its mostly blank. See my screen shot.

At this stage the system is running nice but I'm sure it needs the proper Kexts and other things. What is my best move at this stage? Thanks.

View attachment 480431

Please check the Mini-Guide
Capture d’écran 2020-07-15 à 07.47.56.png

Back