Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @hyevans

Because I do not own the Magic Mouse 2, I can only speculate about the cause. Maybe this device needs to be paired by first connecting the lightning-to-USB cable?

My original Magic Mouse 1 works perfectly.

If anyone with a Magic Mouse 2 can provide troubleshooting advice, it would be appreciated.

I have that same card and a brand new unopened Magic Mouse 2. I'll test it out tomorrow.

@CaseySJ , @phrfpeixoto ,
It seems like a LOT of customers having trouble with This Fenvi T919 and Gigabyte Motherboards.
If you google it, you see there are just many problem with this WIFI card.
Moreover, I have to make you remember that I built the exact same Hardware on my friend's computer. So Problem on PSU, motherboard, or Ram seems unlikely possible.

Testing on computers with the same specs is different from testing with the same parts. Yours may be faulty, while your friend's may be fine.

I have to add, that I bought a brand new Fenvi-T919 card thinking mine was corrupted. This did not solved the problem.
I removed every part of the computer. (Graphic Card), setup to only one RAM, switched up everything.
The problem only happens when this WIFI-card is connected.
I Tried every PCIE slot and every PCIx16 slot, did not work.

Have you tried BIOS updates?
Have you replaced the PSU?
Have you tried YOUR Fenvi + YOUR PSU on a different motherboard to see if it posts?

I +1 the reports for the Fenvi T919 working OOB. I have that card and it work flawlessly in this golden build.
If you still have trouble, I recommend returning it and trying to use an official Broadcom card within a PCIe carrier board.

Last edited:
Hello everyone is been a long time since I asked a question, short review of this amazing building thanks to @CaseySJ, everything is working juts good, no problems at all, but, I have a question about updating my 10.15.3 to the lattes, any subjection there? I'm using FCPX and now I need to update to the 10.15.5 to get the lattes update.
Thanks for your help.
LuisQ

I decided to add Thunderbolt 3 to my build
Bought Titan Ridge ver 2.0

read enough of this to get into trouble
which firmware, ssdt and patches should I use for most functionality from thunderbolt
OpenCore 0.6.0 and Catalina

Sure. Please have a look at Posts 8 and 10 for an explanation of DarkWake flags (post #8) and sample usage (post #10):
Also have a look at this explanation of WiFi.ScanOffload. This is excerpted from Catalina 10.15.3 source code (open source) located here.

Well it's 3:30am right now and my Mac just woke, so sadly, the TCPKeepAlive=0 didn't work.

I'm now going to turn off Find my Mac in iCloud settings to see what happens then.

In the meantime, I've stumbled across this potential fix, but I can't edit the .plist file as I don't have the permissions. As this is a test rig, I don't mind trying it out, however do you (or anyone else) mind helping me execute these commands (from this page https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-consumes-10-battery-overnight-with-the-lid-c)

Code:

Update : This doesn't work with Catalina, see Django Reinhardt's answer instead.

I was suffering the same issue before, my MBP 2015's battery was draining slowly but when I don't use it so frequently, this caused so much pain. This method helped me so much; now I can go out with my Mac with 20% charge and make my day. There is a significant difference between MacBook Pro 2015 and the previous models of MacBook Pros. You can check these settings by this command line;

ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformFeatureDefaults
The output on your mac would be like this;

{"TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep"=Yes,"DNDWhileDisplaySleeps"=No,"TCPKeepAliveExpirationTimeout"=43200,"NotificationWake"=Yes}
To make your MBP sleep deep like the old versions you should first restart your computer into recovery mode. To do that you should restart your mac and hold CMD+R until you hear the start up sound. After that open terminal and type this;

csrutil disable
Then restart your MacBook again. Go to this destination, you can access inside kext files by right clicking -> Show Package Contents /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

Find your board id with:

ioreg -l | awk '/board-id/{print $4}' | sed 's/[<">]//g'
Open <your_board_id>.plist (e.g. Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6.plist) file by a text editor and edit these settings just like these;

<key>TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep</key>
<false/>
<key>NotificationWake</key>
<false/>
<key>DNDWhileDisplaySleeps</key>
<true/>
TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep keeps your MacBook connections open when its sleeping, so it keep Wifi connected. NotificationWake wakes your Mac randomly to check notifications especially make this one false. DNDWhileDisplaySleeps means "Do not disturb on sleep"; MacBook does get disturbed by notifications when it's asleep.

My personal opinion is this process should be done by every 2015+ MacBook user because MacBooks are not cell phones that ring for notifications. Apple should have made a toggle button for this.

Do not forget to enable System Integrity Protection again. You should restart into recovery mode and on terminal type "csrutil enable" and restart.

@CaseySJ On the Consolidated List of Sleep Aids it says "Wake for Network Access works properly. Specifically, WiFi speed is no longer severely degraded after wake-from-sleep."

Does that mean that we can enable wake-on-lan without issues with wifi? How can I enable it?
I think it's time to have your eyes checked ;)

From the Consolidated List of Sleep Aids:
Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 09.26.40.png

Does that mean that we can enable wake-on-lan without issues with wifi?
If you are on Catalina 10.15.4 or higher: Yes!
How can I enable it?
The original Mojave build guide (post #1 of this thread, post-installation section) recommended to disable Wake for Network Access to avoid drastically reduced WiFi speeds after wake-from-sleep. Since macOS Catalina 10.15.4 this issue was resolved.

So you probably have it enabled already (you would have known if you disabled it).

Just make sure the Wake for Network Access is checked. It's that simple.

Well it's 3:30am right now and my Mac just woke, so sadly, the TCPKeepAlive=0 didn't work.

I'm now going to turn off Find my Mac in iCloud settings to see what happens then.

In the meantime, I've stumbled across this potential fix, but I can't edit the .plist file as I don't have the permissions. As this is a test rig, I don't mind trying it out, however do you (or anyone else) mind helping me execute these commands (from this page https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-consumes-10-battery-overnight-with-the-lid-c)

Code:

Update : This doesn't work with Catalina, see Django Reinhardt's answer instead.

I was suffering the same issue before, my MBP 2015's battery was draining slowly but when I don't use it so frequently, this caused so much pain. This method helped me so much; now I can go out with my Mac with 20% charge and make my day. There is a significant difference between MacBook Pro 2015 and the previous models of MacBook Pros. You can check these settings by this command line;

ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformFeatureDefaults
The output on your mac would be like this;

{"TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep"=Yes,"DNDWhileDisplaySleeps"=No,"TCPKeepAliveExpirationTimeout"=43200,"NotificationWake"=Yes}
To make your MBP sleep deep like the old versions you should first restart your computer into recovery mode. To do that you should restart your mac and hold CMD+R until you hear the start up sound. After that open terminal and type this;

csrutil disable
Then restart your MacBook again. Go to this destination, you can access inside kext files by right clicking -> Show Package Contents /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

Find your board id with:

ioreg -l | awk '/board-id/{print $4}' | sed 's/[<">]//g'
Open <your_board_id>.plist (e.g. Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6.plist) file by a text editor and edit these settings just like these;

<key>TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep</key>
<false/>
<key>NotificationWake</key>
<false/>
<key>DNDWhileDisplaySleeps</key>
<true/>
TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep keeps your MacBook connections open when its sleeping, so it keep Wifi connected. NotificationWake wakes your Mac randomly to check notifications especially make this one false. DNDWhileDisplaySleeps means "Do not disturb on sleep"; MacBook does get disturbed by notifications when it's asleep.

My personal opinion is this process should be done by every 2015+ MacBook user because MacBooks are not cell phones that ring for notifications. Apple should have made a toggle button for this.

Do not forget to enable System Integrity Protection again. You should restart into recovery mode and on terminal type "csrutil enable" and restart.
Hello @hamzab, I would not bother hacking that .plist file.

You may have overlooked it, but the potential fix you found states it does NOT work with Catalina. For Catalina it refers to setting TcpKeepAlive to 0, but you've already tried that.

If it's any consolidation ... I'm experiencing the same wake from sleep issue with Wifi.ScanOffload reason as you, and I have exhausted the List of Sleep Aids to no avail. After a while, I've learned to live with it.

The only two options I haven't tried yet are the Micro-Guide: True One-Key Wake from Sleep Without Changing DarkWake, and the Micro-Guide: Disable Wake from USB (Wake only with Power Button).

Hope this brings you closer to a solution ... or acceptance

Last edited:
@CaseySJ ,
Hi,
Gigabyte answered me.
For them it might be a SMBUS conflict.
So they advised me to tape the Pin of the PCI-E card, and to uncover only B5-B6.

Anything to modify in BIOS to prevent doing this ?
So that must be a Firmware problem right ?

Thank you

Back