Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Guys, I had the perfect Hackintosh after 8 months of hard work.
My Magic Mouse was so lagy that I decided to update /kext/other kexts and replaced the SSDT-EC.aml at the /acpi patched. I copied the files from /kext/other to /Library/Extensions thinking to update for the newer versions.
Now I got this:View attachment 478524
I know you guys are busy but Im a hard worker, please just give me options to restore or have some directions.
I tried -x
I tried -f UseKernelCache=No

I appreciate all help you guys can give.
Thanks
Fab
Hello @fabrik

After you copied new kexts to /Library/Extensions did you remember to run Kext Utility?

If not, then try this:
  1. Boot the Recovery volume from Clover Boot Menu
  2. When Recovery starts, run Terminal from the Utilities menu
  3. In Terminal type:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
But replace “Mojave” with the actual name of your macOS internal SSD. Then reboot.

Hello @fabrik

After you copied new kexts to /Library/Extensions did you remember to run Kext Utility?

If not, then try this:
  1. Boot the Recovery volume from Clover Boot Menu
  2. When Recovery starts, run Terminal from the Utilities menu
  3. In Terminal type:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
But replace “Mojave” with the actual name of your macOS internal SSD. Then reboot.

Yes, I did the KextUtility, right after.
What can I do next? I have no clue how to fix this. I tried what you suggested, is saying the files that I copied to /Libray/Extensions are invalid.
Thanks @CaseSJ for replying.

Attachments

• D7C40156-8CE3-4A03-8BD3-77B87A72890B.jpeg
    D7C40156-8CE3-4A03-8BD3-77B87A72890B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
CC: @mobi , @ziggenpuss , @jleahy2 , @brousseau6933 and @CaseySJ

Unfortunately I don't think it's that straightforward. The Inateck card was running at USB 2 speeds with only a USB 3.0 SSD plugged in - the same drive worked at full speed with the Sedna card. Yes, both PCIe cards are hub devices, so the bandwidth will be shared, but the Inateck card should run at USB 3.0 speed.

More bad news as well - I've just come back to the computer, and the devices attached to the Sedna card have frozen (the devices attached to the Inateck card are working fine, including the Fenvi BT). Re: the Fenvi card - I spend a couple of days with the card removed from my system to see if that was the problem, but it didn't solve the USB freezing.

It's looking more and more as if it is a macOS issue with USB 2 devices connected to USB3.x ports. I'm now trying the CalDigit TB3 dock, and connecting everything except for internal BT to that, to see whether that's stable. As far as I understand TB docks they convert all USB 2 traffic to USB 3.x (even though everything still operates at USB 1/2 speeds), so hopefully if it is a macOS software problem this will solve it.

More as I have it...
I thought we'd all be feasting on wild goose. But good news inatek card worked. So that's progress.
Has anyone tried just plugging into just the onboard usb2 ports with only USB 1&2 devices and nothing in the USB3 ports??
Or what about a USB2 card?

I thought we'd all be feasting on wild goose. But good news inatek card worked. So that's progress.
Has anyone tried just plugging into just the onboard usb2 ports with only USB 1&2 devices and nothing in the USB3 ports??
Or what about a USB2 card?

Yes, I've tried running everything from the two USB 2 ports - still had freezes... Was working all day yesterday with the CalDigit TB3 dock. Need to put more hours in, but if the problem is with macOS and USB 2, then by translating everything to USB 3/using the Inateck for internal BT hopefully I'll have a stable system (which is all I need right now, tbh...)

I tried that a while back and had it unplugged it for a few days (its only for the BT) and still had freezes.
I've had the freezes though it sounds with a lot less frequency to what other people are seeing, but I don't run a Fenvi card. I have a PCI-e card with an Apple Broadcom BCM43xx

Moving Logitech Brio to HS07 HS13 just to see what happens
It's been a week for me with my paired down USB setup running on HS13 (which is a 4 port hub on my MB) with zero lock ups or freezes.

I updated the script (fixed some bugs) and added a link to GitHub for future fixes. #23,170
To: Everyone with flashed Thunderbolt firmware
(including @rj510)

As you know, we have struggled to calculate the 4-byte CRC-32 checksum when modifying the main body of Thunderbolt DROM. When we modify the User ID (UID) in the first few bytes, we only modify the 1-byte CRC-8 checksum. We do this by visiting a website that performs the calculation for us.

But if we want to enable Thunderbolt Switch or modify two strings at the end of DROM (string #1 = Vendor Name, string #2 = Device Name) we have to recalculate the 4-byte CRC-32 checksum. Up to now we have had to examine the macOS system log to determine the correct CRC-32 checksum. Unfortunately, many systems simply don't contain this information.

This is where @joevt's ThunderboltUtil comes in. It is not one command, but an entire set of commands we can use in Terminal to (a) show, (b) validate, and (c) manipulate ThunderboltDROM. It also calculates both CRC-8 and CRC-32.

Please refer to this post for the original file and a link to the GitHub repo:
I'll create a Mini-Guide for this soon.

Back