Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello guys, I might had the bad idea to build an hackintosh with almost the same setup on here but keeping mine on Sierra. Now when I run it doesn't start getting stuck on some screen codes and that's it. ;(
Any suggestion?

Hello guys, I might had the bad idea to build an hackintosh with almost the same setup on here but keeping mine on Sierra. Now when I run it doesn't start getting stuck on some screen codes and that's it. ;(
Any suggestion?
  • How long was the system running properly on Sierra?
  • What has changed now?
    • New Clover?
    • New kexts?
  • Please post photo of the 'screen codes', but remove EXIF information and resize the photo so it's less than 700KB.

but keeping mine on Sierra.

Depending on your answers to Casey's questions above, this may be helpful -

If I remember correctly, the driver is indeed the essential part. I have the Presonus Quantum 2, TB2 I think and an apple TB cable/adapter.
Presonus offers TB drivers on the support page of their website. After installing I got a new .kext in some folder and the device's LED turned blue and started working. Reboot may have been required.

I do have the driver. Macintosh HD> Library> Extensions> quantum_driver.kext

But I am not using a legitimate TB3 cable. I will pickup a proper cable and test again. I hope @CaseySJ is right for simplicity but wrong so I don't look like a really big ass on this thread....

Hello guys and gals,

Ready to pull the trigger on a Z390 Designare build (parts already in my cart):

- i7 9700K;
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare, obviously;
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 gigs@3200 mHz (verified in the support list);
- be quiet! (Dark Rock 4)
- Fractal Design Define R6

I'll reuse the two Sata SSD's and a mechanical 1TB Sata HD in my current DAW Hackintosh (two Samsungs and a Seagate). Also reusing my EVGA SuperNova 650P2 Power Supply. I also have a bunch of choices for GPU's: GT740, RX580 (but I plan to give it my son only if the Nvidia's are problematic) and GTX 670.

I plan to use this machine mainly as a powerful DAW (Reaper, Kontakt, gazillions of plugins...). I'll use it first with my Focusrite 18i20 Gen2 USB2 but plan to buy later a Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3, hence the need for working Thunderbolt. Internal soundchip will be disabled too unless I change my mind...

Now, questions, comments and advices requested:

- I've read a bit this thread and noticed some members have some USB problems, it's a no-go for me but maybe it is specific to their particular hardware or configs. In my case, I will go with iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS as I don't need the iGPU at all. Are there other users experiencing something like audio dropouts, freezing with USB, specifically doing audio work? BTW, I'll stay with Mojave 10.14.6 (just put the actual DAW SSD and replacing the EFI with correct files). Specifically asking @jleahy2 and @kellymac12?

I'll use an Amazon Basic USB2 hub for my Logitech mouse and my Nektar LX88+ Midi keyboard controller.
I'll go with the F9g BIOS as I won't need the two flags in Clover and will benefit from native NVRAM, correct?

I also have a Samsung T5 500 gigs for my audio libraries (I guess I could plug it in one of the TB ports?), a Seagate Expansion USB3 portable drive and a Lacie USB3/TB 3 TB (I've read that it's a no-go on the TB port for the Lacie's external, isn't it?). The T5 was plugged on a Startech (or Orico, not sure?) USB-C 3.2 PCIe card.

So, as you understand, I'll need stability in regard to the USB and TB busses, I don't want a big powerful costly paperweight :thumbdown PLease note that except lacking processing power, my present Dell Optiplex 9020, i7 4770, 16 gis of RAM and cheap GT710 is flawless with little projects running at 64 samples buffer. No static, no freezing, no dropouts...

- Next, I saw one member having troubles with Native Access but at least, I know the working solution.

- I know I have to disable the Serial Port and I hope it's possible with the F9g BIOS?

- Did I saw or read some having problems with OCQuircks.efi and al in Mojave? Should I be better to use the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free.efi instead?

- @aczfenderstrats, is your Presonus Quantum 2626 working now? Already saw that it's suppose to work...

Building:

- It will be the first time I build myself a "PC". Always relied on local shops but I guess it's not that hard (thermal paste tutorials are available everywhere)? I plan to make a temporary Windows 10 install first on a spare Samsung 860 SSD once all hardware parts will be assembled minus the case. Easier to spot mistakes that way than trying to do it on top of possible Hackintoshing bugs...

Any comments, advices welcomed as I'm ready to pay, order and have fun...:)

Thanks,

Patrice

**Big thanks to @CaseySJ to have paved the way...

Last edited:
I do have the driver. Macintosh HD> Library> Extensions> quantum_driver.kext

But I am not using a legitimate TB3 cable. I will pickup a proper cable and test again. I hope @CaseySJ is right for simplicity but wrong so I don't look like a really big ass on this thread....
NBD (no big deal) -- let's wait and see if the proper cable solves this problem.

Hello guys and gals,

- i7 9700K;

I'll reuse the two Sata SSD's and a mechanical 1TB Sata HD in my current DAW Hackintosh (two Samsungs and a Seagate). Also reusing my EVGA SuperNova 650P2 Power Supply. I also have a bunch of choices for GPU's: GT740, RX580 (but I plan to give it my son only if the Nvidia's are problematic) and GTX 670.

I plan to use this machine mainly as a powerful DAW (Reaper, Kontakt, gazillions of plugins...). I'll use it first with my Focusrite 18i20 Gen2 USB2 but plan to buy later a Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3, hence the need for working Thunderbolt. Internal soundchip will be disabled too unless I change my mind...

- I've read a bit this thread and noticed some members have some USB problems, it's a no-go for me but maybe it is specific to their particular hardware or configs. In my case, I will go with iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS as I don't need the iGPU at all. Are there other users experiencing something like audio dropouts, freezing with USB, specifically doing audio work? BTW, I'll stay with Mojave 10.14.6 (just put the actual DAW SSD and replacing the EFI with correct files). Specifically asking @jleahy2 and @kellymac12?

I'll use an Amazon Basic USB2 hub for my Logitech mouse and my Nektar LX88+ Midi keyboard controller.
I'll go with the F9g BIOS as I won't need the two flags in Clover and will benefit from native NVRAM, correct?

I also have a Samsung T5 500 gigs for my audio libraries (I guess I could plug it in one of the TB ports?), a Seagate Expansion USB3 portable drive and a Lacie USB3/TB 3 TB (I've read that it's a no-go on the TB port for the Lacie's external, isn't it?). The T5 was plugged on a Startech (or Orico, not sure?) USB-C 3.2 PCIe card.

So, as you understand, I'll need stability in regard to the USB and TB busses, I don't want a big powerful costly paperweight :thumbdown PLease note that except lacking processing power, my present Dell Optiplex 9020, i7 4770, 16 gis of RAM and cheap GT710 is flawless with little projects running at 64 samples buffer. No static, no freezing, no dropouts...

- Next, I saw one member having troubles with Native Access but at least, I know the working solution.

- I know I have to disable the Serial Port and I hope it's possible with the F9g BIOS?

- Did I saw or read some having problems with OCQuircks.efi and al in Mojave? Should I be better to use the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free.efi instead?

- @aczfenderstrats, is your Presonus Quantum 2626 working now? Already saw that it's suppose to work...

Building:

- It will be the first time I build myself a "PC". Always relied on local shops but I guess it's not that hard (thermal paste tutorials are available everywhere)? I plan to make a temporary Windows 10 install first on a spare Samsung 860 SSD once all hardware parts will be assembled minus the case. Easier to spot mistakes that way than trying to do it on top of possible Hackintoshing bugs...

Thanks,

Patrice

**Big thanks to @CaseySJ to ahve paved the way...
Hello Patrice,

I'll let others comment on USB stability and will instead address your remaining questions:
  • BIOS F9g is a good choice. The newer F9h should be avoided due to a small number of serious issues having been reported.
  • There is no Serial or Parallel port on the Z390 Designare, so nothing to worry about in that regard.
  • With Mojave, we can safely use OcQuirks and FwRuntimeServices that are located in this post.
  • Good idea to install Windows first, which serves to confirm whether hardware is properly assembled, fans are under control, and temperatures are normal.
  • Regarding thermal paste, you'll get many answers, but I apply a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver MX4 (you're absolutely free to select something else). If you look at a green pea, you'll see that it's bigger than a "drop", but smaller than a marble.
    • The first time I did this, I took a green pea out of the freezer to judge the size! :)

Hello Patrice,

I'll let others comment on USB stability and will instead address your remaining questions:
  • BIOS F9g is a good choice. The newer F9h should be avoided due to a small number of serious issues having been reported.
  • There is no Serial or Parallel port on the Z390 Designare, so nothing to worry about in that regard.
  • With Mojave, we can safely use OcQuirks and FwRuntimeServices that are located in this post.
  • Good idea to install Windows first, which serves to confirm whether hardware is properly assembled, fans are under control, and temperatures are normal.
  • Regarding thermal paste, you'll get many answers, but I apply a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver MX4 (you're absolutely free to select something else). If you look at a green pea, you'll see that it's bigger than a "drop", but smaller than a marble.
    • The first time I did this, I took a green pea out of the freezer to judge the size! :)

Hello guys and gals,

- i7 9700K;

Building:

Thanks,

Patrice

**Big thanks to @CaseySJ to ahve paved the way...

CC: @CaseySJ @jleahy2

I have to be honest, at the moment USB stability is pretty poor for me. However, there are a great many other users who are finding this exact setup perfectly stable etc. so YMMV. Beginning to wonder whether it might be something to do with my iLok key - if you don't use an iLok as part of your setup then you might be perfectly alright. Or it might be another of my peripherals/hubs. You may need to buy a TB3 dock to achieve stability - I'm going to report back on that asap. Bit of an unknown!

CC: @CaseySJ @jleahy2

I have to be honest, at the moment USB stability is pretty poor for me. However, there are a great many other users who are finding this exact setup perfectly stable etc. so YMMV. Beginning to wonder whether it might be something to do with my iLok key - if you don't use an iLok as part of your setup then you might be perfectly alright. Or it might be another of my peripherals/hubs. You may need to buy a TB3 dock to achieve stability - I'm going to report back on that asap. Bit of an unknown!
I use an iLok as well on my dual boot Mojave system (for audio- which is basically the same as your build) which has enough USB instability to make it useless for me to do for any kind of critical work like tracking. I've had better luck ironing out BSOD issues on the windows side (turned fenvi card off and found a happy firewire driver for my TI chipset card). This is an amazing thread and community and I'm sure one of us will find the fix/culprit. I'm curious- has anyone tried a usb3 PCI card?

... I'm curious- has anyone tried a usb3 PCI card?
That's a very good suggestion, and much cheaper than a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Back