Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ok, let's try and make this more readable.

SETUP
This is test is to see how different SMBIOS with iGPU either enabled, disabled or in headless mode have an effect on render speeds.
iMacPro1,1 = iGPU disabled, only dGPU (Vega 64)
iMac19,1 = iGPU enabled, headless (using OC 0.5.9, see code below), in combination with dGPU (Vega 64)
Code:
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>AwCYPg==</data>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Display controller</string>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Intel UHD Graphics 630</string>
            </dict>

METHOD
Download the footage as described in this post by @verendus. Make a new project in DR 16.2.3 (unfortunately I don't have FCPX), create a new timeline (3840x2160, 60 fps), drop the clip in there, and export out, either to QuickTime (MOV) or MP4, and time the export (DR shows how long the export took after it's done).

My machine: i9-9900KS, 64GB RAM, Vega 64 8GB

RESULTS
H.264 H.265 (HEVC)
iMacPro1,1 0:34 0:57
iMac19,1 0:38 1:12

DISCUSSION
I noticed that GPU utilization (as measured by looking at Activity Monitor) is near 100% on iMacPro1,1; but only ~50% on iMac19,1 during rendering, which makes sense I guess? I'm not sure how I can see QSV utilization other than looking at CPU utilization, which was ~200% for both iMacPro1,1 and iMac19,1.
As this is why I built this setup, I'd love to dig deeper, and I'm willing to do a lot more testing if needed. Hope this contributes in some way!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to run the test. Just ran the same test with the same setting. I am on 32GB, iMac19,1, iGPU headless (0x3E980003), DR16.2.3.

21 seconds. That is roughly 60% (or 40% increase in speed) of using dGPU. The only difference would be my Radeon VII vs your Vega 64, but as I said, the majority of encoding work in our case is carried out by the CPU (QuickSync vs intel cores). I'd be interested in seeing how T2 chip in new MBP or iMac might fare in this test.

For those who use FCPX, the export was 22 seconds with the same setting.

So the moral of the story: If you can, enable iGPU headless mode and use iMac19,1 to maximize your export. QuickSync DOES make a big difference in encoding performance in DR and FCPX.

I also wanted to give your test a shot:
I'm running 19,1 in headless mode
vega64
and an r9 270x
64mb ram
i9 9900k

compressor 4k H264 = 48 secs
DR 4k H264 = 25 secs
FCPx 4k H264 = 27 secs

so not bad!

DR 4k H264 = 25 secs
so not bad!
Wait, that's a great score! Are you running DR Studio by chance, so both GPU's get used? Can you try clearing DR cache, and double checking the frame rate? @verendus got 22 seconds on the first run but got 45 after double checking. Otherwise, we have to dig deeper to figure out how you got such a great score!

ok
I'm not running studio - just the free version

deleted the render cache
turned off background render
my export settings look like this:

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 09.55.52.png

render completed in 24 secs this time!

@CaseySJ , here the results using SSDT-TbtOnPCH-NUC-8-OSY86-V4-WAKE.aml and SSDT-DTPG-V3.aml

Thanks

Test 1:
  • Boot system without any Thunderbolt device connected.
  • Then before 30 seconds, capture screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt
View attachment 471539
  • Quit System Information (this is necessary)
  • Then after 30 seconds, open System Information --> Thunderbolt and capture another screenshot
View attachment 471540

Test 2:
  • Boot system with one Thunderbolt device connected.
  • Then before 30 seconds, capture screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt
View attachment 471541
  • Quit System Information (this is necessary), but keep Thunderbolt device connected at all times
  • Then after 30 seconds, open System Information --> Thunderbolt and capture another screenshot
View attachment 471542
Hi vicantu, is where any news for Nuc8?

did anyone have an original firmeware for the designer 390 the one for the bottle storage i need the file i have gigabytes contact me my you need in taiwan can you please help me?

did anyone have an original firmeware for the designer 390 the one for the bottle storage i need the file i have gigabytes contact me my you need in taiwan can you please help me?
The firmware you flashed is already the original firmware. There is nothing else.

Do Thunderbolt devices work in MacOS?

Back