Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm not sure it'll help, sadly - I'm running OC, and Native Access is working fine (and I don't have to reauthorise every boot), which might point to it being something else with your system. Sorry not to be more helpful
Interesting, thank you. I wonder if I'm using the wrong Model Identifier? I had originally been on macOS 10.13.6 as I used to use an Nvidia GPU, but since updated to 10.15.3 and added an RX580. I did however, keep the old Model Identifier of iMac 18,3. Do you think that updating to iMac 19,1 might help?

on which side is the red box because I can't press it is just a photo?
Go to Post #1, open the spoiler marked "Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus Investigation". You'll find the red box item there.

** Designare Z390 Thunderbolt ROM has been Captured **
@S1lla @App32312 @2DSM

Using flashrom we now have the Designare Z390 Thunderbolt ROM attached here! Thanks to @S1lla for suggesting the use of this utility -- from macOS itself!

Version of ROM: TPS65983 HW FW0001.38.04 ZTBT1 ROM version is 33.

Update: The SOIC8 clip I'm using is not well suited for this task because of its physical bulk which interferes with a tiny resistor or two near one of the pins on the Winbond chip. Hopefully the Pomona 5250 will be a better fit. It took multiple tries and fine-adjustments of the clip before the ROM could be read. Here's a partial output from Terminal.
Spoiler: flashrom output

Attachments
Last eJan 23, 2020 this have 1 kb not 249.4

Last edited:
Interesting, thank you. I wonder if I'm using the wrong Model Identifier? I had originally been on macOS 10.13.6 as I used to use an Nvidia GPU, but since updated to 10.15.3 and added an RX580. I did however, keep the old Model Identifier of iMac 18,3. Do you think that updating to iMac 19,1 might help?

I'm on iMac19,1 (and was whilst using Clover) so that's worth a try. You could also compare your OC EFI to mine (posted previously) to see whether any of my settings differ to yours. Bear in mind your build is a Z370, and mine is a Z390. Other people more knowledgeable than I can tell you whether there are any particular differences to look out for.

@CaseySJ
Hi,
I kept looking for why I can't start macOS Mojave using the "May 2020 Update" package. I know it's a little too empirical way to do tests but I don't have more knowledge, so I tried to:
- replace OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, Openruntime.efi with OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, FwRuntimeServices.efi from the previous package. no boot
- additionally replace the config.plist with the one from the previous package. No boot
- additionally replace Lilu.kext and WhatEverGreen.kext with those of the previous package. No boot
Only when I replaced the entire UEFI drivers folder with the one created by the previous package did macOS Mojave start regularly.
I noticed that between the two packages, as regards the kexts folder, the May 2020 update version contains two more files: NVMeFix.kext, USBWakeFixup.kext. But I don't know if it can depend on this.
Any Idea about?
Thanks in advance

To: @bmoney @ralphonz @jleahy2 @kellymac12 @iamjoehan

cc: @boob @ssccrab

All of you have reported USB port instability issues that occur anywhere from once a week to couple of times a day.
  • Do any of you already own a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with multiple USB ports?
  • If so, have you tried moving your 'complex' USB devices to the Thunderbolt dock?
    • Keyboard and mouse can most likely remain where they are. These are 'simple' USB devices.
Thunderbolt docks contain their own USB controller and power management firmware. Whereas most Intel-based motherboards use Intel's USB 3.x controller built into the PCH chipset, Thunderbolt docks use completely different ASMedia controllers.

Connecting 'complex' USB devices to a Thunderbolt 3 Dock might be useful in determining whether or not USB instability is due to something on the motherboard.

Hi all,

In the spirit of chasing down possibilities a couple of days ago I turned off two BIOS settings that I'd forgotten that I'd fiddled with - CPU Upgrade (now set to Default) and Enhanced Multi-Core Performance (Disabled). So far, subjectively, my system is more stable. Would you guys mind telling me what settings you're running (if you're on a Z390)? Possible I've got a dodgy 9900K, rather than a dodgy motherboard...

Cheers

@CaseySJ
Hi,
I kept looking for why I can't start macOS Mojave using the "May 2020 Update" package. I know it's a little too empirical way to do tests but I don't have more knowledge, so I tried to:
Empirical is how we "solve" many Hackintosh issues -- also known as trial and error. The list of experiments/variations below is quite respectable.
- replace OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, Openruntime.efi with OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, FwRuntimeServices.efi from the previous package. no boot
- additionally replace the config.plist with the one from the previous package. No boot
- additionally replace Lilu.kext and WhatEverGreen.kext with those of the previous package. No boot
Only when I replaced the entire UEFI drivers folder with the one created by the previous package did macOS Mojave start regularly.
I noticed that between the two packages, as regards the kexts folder, the May 2020 update version contains two more files: NVMeFix.kext, USBWakeFixup.kext. But I don't know if it can depend on this.
Any Idea about?
Thanks in advance
Looks like we've narrowed it down to NVMeFix and USBWakeFixup. This is what they do:
  • NVMeFix improves power management on non-Apple NVMe SSDs. This can be important because as we all know, NVMe SSDs can get very hot. Many motherboards provide built-in heatsinks (including Designare Z390).
  • USBWakeFixup allows the system to wake-from-sleep with just one keypress -- and to do it the right way.
    • This kext works in conjunction with SSDT-USBW.aml.
It is perfectly okay to remove all three of these files: two from kexts/Other and one from ACPI/patched. Then see if the revised May 2020 Update can boot Mojave.

Hi all,

In the spirit of chasing down possibilities a couple of days ago I turned off two BIOS settings that I'd forgotten that I'd fiddled with - CPU Upgrade (now set to Default) and Enhanced Multi-Core Performance (Disabled). So far, subjectively, my system is more stable. Would you guys mind telling me what settings you're running (if you're on a Z390)? Possible I've got a dodgy 9900K, rather than a dodgy motherboard...

Cheers
Because you quoted my post, only I am notified. So it's better to state the other users' names explicitly in the post.

I made a new project, 4K60, on DR 16.2.3, exporting only the .mov to MP4 H264, using 'use hardware acceleration if available', with 'automatic' quality. It took 35 seconds. I'm on 64GB RAM, iMacPro1,1, iGPU disabled in BIOS.

Really interested to see if there's any difference, @verendus!

19,1, Adobe Media Encoder = 20 sec
Captură de ecran din 2020-06-22 la 18.40.35.png

Back