Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

does anyone know where i get the original firmware for the disigner 390 so i can use the interface under windows?

please help (=

Are you using DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin? I forgot if you were using any thunderbolt docks with display out? Using both display outs on the Caldigit TS3 Plus did not work for me on flashed NVM23 and NVM50 or stock NVM43.

I use NVM33 on my Titan I have considered changing to the one Casey is using on his z490 rig just to test. As of this moment I have no video routing threw the TB however, recently my wife got a Laptop from work and with it came a cal digit mini dock.

Before I set it up on her desk to took my liberty with it to test some TB3 stuff. If it is hot plugged it works, if it warm boots it works, from cold boot it does not work, if plugged mid boot it seems to work. I tested it in both ports on the Titan Ridge, and with dual 4k monitors though they are HDMI outs not DP. I also only tested the video, there is a good chance the USB devices would have worked from cold boot.

I use NVM33 on my Titan I have considered changing to the one Casey is using on his z490 rig just to test. As of this moment I have no video routing threw the TB however, recently my wife got a Laptop from work and with it came a cal digit mini dock.

Before I set it up on her desk to took my liberty with it to test some TB3 stuff. If it is hot plugged it works, if it warm boots it works, from cold boot it does not work, if plugged mid boot it seems to work. I tested it in both ports on the Titan Ridge, and with dual 4k monitors though they are HDMI outs not DP. I also only tested the video, there is a good chance the USB devices would have worked from cold boot.

If only that dock had a cable that was removable. I’m curious to see how NVM50 from the designare works out for you. I think I tried it but honestly dont remember lol

I'm about 1 meter from the Fenvi antennas,
tried with the Gigabyte ones, its a little bit better, but the differences isn't so much.
I even can't go to the toilet with my AirPods because the sound lags.
my iPhone 6 have a better antenna on it :crazy:
Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 02.45.15.pngScreenshot 2020-06-19 at 02.48.06.pngScreenshot 2020-06-19 at 02.47.59.png

To: @bmoney @ralphonz @jleahy2 @kellymac12 @iamjoehan

cc: @boob @ssccrab

All of you have reported USB port instability issues that occur anywhere from once a week to couple of times a day.
  • Do any of you already own a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with multiple USB ports?
  • If so, have you tried moving your 'complex' USB devices to the Thunderbolt dock?
    • Keyboard and mouse can most likely remain where they are. These are 'simple' USB devices.

Dug my TB3 dock out tonight (model: OWCTB3DK14PSG) - Unfortunately, it seems my computer doesn't care for it. I get an error that says something along the lines of this computer doesn't support thunderbolt accessories. Even under Windows, it doesn't seem to recognize. I plug it in and get a similar message about it not working properly, and 'Port 2' never populated, while Port 1 remained active and working for my thunderbolt audio interface.

Interestingly enough, rebooting with the dock plugged in would keep my primary monitor from working once OSX booted, but the secondary one would work fine. Odd.

Last edited:
I updated with this (RX 580) and seemed to have had no adverse symptoms... very curious to see what the story is here.
for me instability issues, scrreens always flickering from black to os back ground, until I removed it, redid my caches, restarted, reinstalled and redid coaches again....it somehow also "broke" safari... every time I was moving a safari window on my second monitor, safari kept crashing...

and I did have a hard time doing the last supplemental security update, so maybe I should have removed it before doing that for it to get smoother...

Ouch! The drivers64UEFI folder must be deleted completely and immediately. Empty the trash after moving the whole folder into it. Because you're already on Clover 5xxx now, the screenshot below is just FYI.

View attachment 476952

I think there is a misunderstanding, the two images of the contents of the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and /EFI/ CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folders are related to two different configurations in the installation of macOS Mojave on my system drive: the first is based on CLOVER r. 4920 (in this case I can start Ubuntu from CLOVER), the second one (the new one) is based on CLOVER r. 5119 (in this case it is not possible to start Ubuntu from Clover while I can do it using the F12 key at startup). I added these images in case they could be useful in determining the reason for this problem.

In your case, however, some questions:
  • Are you saying that with Clover v4920 you were able to boot the Linux installation(s) properly?
  • But after the switch to Clover v5xxx the Grub boot loader appears, but Grub is unable to boot Linux?

For the reasons I wrote above, I can answer the two questions:
  • Yes
  • Yes
I found this thread about the same problem, it seems to me, but without finding the solution:

It's a good thing that you were able to test both the original "Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install" package and the new "May 2020 Update". Now we know that the May 2020 update does not play nicely with Mojave.

If you intend to have both (a) Mojave and (b) Catalina on the same physical SSD, but on different APFS Volumes, then the EFI folder needs to be capable of booting either of the two macOS versions. Right now only the original "Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install" can do that.

Yes -- if we use the original "Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install" zip package.

A question:
Having to use the "Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install" zip package instead of the "May 2020 Update" package in order to have a dual boot configuration with Mojave/Catalina could I have different performances in macOS Catalina in terms of functionality or other?
In other words: how are the two packages different from their use with macOS Catalina?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back