Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unfortunately the problem remains even after unlocking MSR 0xE2 register .
In some cases the startup was successful and I was able to log in but I had a freeze problem or at startup the progress bar freezes at 25%.
I can't understand what the problem may be: should I perhaps uninstall the kexts installed in /Library/Extensions before starting the system from Mojave with the new USB install drive?
Yes, that is required. Please have another look at the Mojave-to-Catalina transition guide below. Every step must be followed. Alas, there are no shortcuts here! As always, a full backup of Mojave should be made ahead of time.

@boob @kellymac12

If you have a Thunderbolt 3 dock (not USB-C dock) with a number of USB ports, try connecting your "complex" USB devices into those ports. Leave the mouse and keyboard (i.e. not "complex" devices) plugged into the rear IO panel.

Why Thunderbolt 3 dock?
  • Dock has its own independent USB controller.
    • If we suspect that the Gigabyte motherboard's controller or macOS configuration is at fault, then off-loading some USB devices to dock has the effect of bypassing the Gigabyte chip and somewhat bypassing macOS. On-board firmware of the dock governs its USB ports.
  • Thunderbolt dock provides its own power supply.

Last edited:
@boob @kellymac12

If you have a Thunderbolt 3 dock (not USB-C dock) with a number of USB ports, try connecting your "complex" USB devices into those ports. Leave the mouse and keyboard (i.e. not "complex" devices) plugged into the rear IO panel.

Why Thunderbolt 3 dock?
  • Dock has its own independent USB controller.
    • If we suspect that the Gigabyte motherboard's controller or macOS configuration is at fault, then off-loading some USB devices to dock has the effect of bypassing the Gigabyte chip and somewhat bypassing macOS. On-board firmware of the dock governs its USB ports.
  • Thunderbolt dock provides its own power supply.
Thanks @CaseySJ, I'm not actually using any Thunderbolt devices at all, no USB hubs are plugged in either. From reading around I think it's a problem with the board, thinking it might be easier to just swap it out to be honest. Not a fan of work arounds, shame as when it's stable like it is at the moment, it's great. When it starts freezing it's an absolute nightmare.

Thanks @CaseySJ, I'm not actually using any thunderbolt devices at all, no usb hubs are plugged in either. From reading around I think it's a problem with the board, thinking it might be easier to just swap it out to be honest. Not a fan of work arounds, shame as when it's stable like it is at the moment, it's great. When it starts freezing it's an absolute nightmare.
Certainly. Workarounds are not confidence inspiring and should be temporary.

My suggestion to anyone facing USB stability issues -- and who already has a Thunderbolt 3 dock -- is to move the "complex" USB devices over to the Thunderbolt dock.

This may help us determine whether the problem is truly with the motherboard or the manner in which macOS is configured.

After all, how do we know this problem won't occur on Asus boards as well? These motherboards typically use the same Intel USB 3.x controller built into the PCH chipset. Thunderbolt 3 docks often use ASMedia USB controllers.

That's great! When you get some free time, would you mind running a "render" of the .ISO/DVD to h.264 conversion feature that Video Proc advertises and post an in-process screen shot of Activity monitor. Like this:

View attachment 476375

I only have the free trial (to do the acceleration test) so don't know if that is possible or not, or even how to do it. I should be home in an hour or so and will have a look.

After all, how do we know this problem won't occur on Asus boards as well? These motherboards typically use the same Intel USB 3.x controller built into the PCH chipset. Thunderbolt 3 docks often use ASMedia USB controllers.
Very true. I hope it's something that can be figured out, the thought of having to build, setup, and then reinstall all software again is not something I look forward to. I've just found over the last month or two of researching, every thread about the designare, there's at least on person asking about the usb freezing. With Asus z390's I've found it's rare. As I say, really really hope I'm wrong and it can be fixed, but if you'd experienced the freezing, you'd know it's excruciating. It seemingly happens out of nowhere, can be working fine for days, and then all hell breaks loose.

To: @bmoney @ralphonz @jleahy2 @kellymac12 @iamjoehan

cc: @boob @ssccrab

All of you have reported USB port instability issues that occur anywhere from once a week to couple of times a day.
  • Do any of you already own a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with multiple USB ports?
  • If so, have you tried moving your 'complex' USB devices to the Thunderbolt dock?
    • Keyboard and mouse can most likely remain where they are. These are 'simple' USB devices.
Thunderbolt docks contain their own USB controller and power management firmware. Whereas most Intel-based motherboards use Intel's USB 3.x controller built into the PCH chipset, Thunderbolt docks use completely different ASMedia controllers.

Connecting 'complex' USB devices to a Thunderbolt 3 Dock might be useful in determining whether or not USB instability is due to something on the motherboard.

Hello,
I already wrote about my mouse lag problem but I just noticed that its not about the mouse but the whole screen because Iv mini lags while playing a video too.
to solve the issue I put the Hackintosh to sleep manually from Apple Logo > Sleep, then I wake it up and there's no issues anymore until I restart the computer.
do you have any idea?

Quick Reference has been updated:

View attachment 476497
Well... my RX 580 works with VideoProc. Normally, I use iMac 19,1 but to make VideoProc to utilize my RX 580, settings are as follows,
macOS: 10.14.6
SMBIOS: iMacPro 1,1
IGPU: disabled
Framebuffer: Orinoco FrameBuffer is injected (For me this was required to have GPU name to show up on VideoProc but was not required for dgpu enc/dec to work with VideoProc)
Above setting also works with my LGA 775 hackintosh with Core 2 Quad Q9550. There is no way this system can encode HEVC file that fast on VideoProc if RX 580 is not utilized.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.39.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.42.03 AM.png

Even though Intel is checked, RX 580 is being utilized.
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.52.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 12.45.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 12.42.34 PM.png

I used this tool by @mitch_de for testing purposes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.52.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.52.35 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Please link for Z390 designare bios F9G. On link for guide the only new version f9h, but he is black screen for me. F9b is normal working.

reboot a couple of times or try a CMOS reset

Back